PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to work out LB Gerald Hodges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

This guy was low key a pretty good player for the 49ers last year. This could be a sneaky good acquisition if signed.

LB is probably one of the very few positions that we could still try and improve on.

He would effectively free Hightower to rush more. I'd be absolutely down with that.
I don't know if this guy does it but I would love to see the coaching staff turn 54 loose more.
It's a well kept secret because they ask him to do so many things but he is a beast of a pass rusher.
If you put him in clowney or Matthews or ware or macks role he would get 12+ sacks with ease.

I guess we should be happier that his versatility and use resulted in the #1 defense in the NFL (among an otherwise suspect group of LB) rather than nice personal stats but it would be fun to see him turned loose.

Couldn't hurt, his stats progressed with more playing time as opposed to regressing and with BB and Staff can only see an improvement.

So why not have another guy with his level of production?

I'm not saying that they shouldn't. Just pointing out that, if Hodges' stats were "impressive", Van Noy's stats were similarly so.

In fact, with Van Noy playing out the final year of his rookie contract in 2017, Hodges could be his replacement in 2018, if Van Noy wants to break the bank.

You cannot judge LBs by stats. Tackle stats are often more a sign of being picked in than of being a good player. If your LOLB is terrible and your ROLB a stud who do you think gets more tackles? Which direction are you running in.
In today's pass happy NFL tackle stats are also higher if you suck in coverage. You can't make a tackle if you blanket your man and they don't throw to him.
Passes defensed by a LB are about as useless a stat as their is.

As far as Hodges is concerned he played on the worst defense in the NFL, so making a bunch of tackles while teams match up and down the field in you is far from impressive.

Maybe it isn't, but he would still be our 2nd-best LB if he ever signs here.

This is nothing against Hawkins but our more pressing need is adding another linebacker capable of providing quality reps, possibly even starting. Losing Hodges to Buffalo on 1yr low risk deal kinda upsets me. Elandon Roberts is an ascending player but overall, the LB group concerns me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back