PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots To Add OT Riley Reiff

This makes no sense at all.

5mill/1 year, as reported.
4.15m guaranteed (please tell me that's a typo)
750k in-game...which puts you near the 5...
because there can't be $4m in playtime incentives, can there?

4.15 guaranteed???
Ouch...double ouch.

This the only signing so far that I don’t like. That guarantee puts him in the top 20 highest paid right tackles! I don’t care if he is still a beast in the running game and great in the locker room, if he ends up playing significant snaps next year, he’s going to put Mac in danger, when he is matched against athletic edge rushers. Even early in his career, he was only an average athlete for an OT, but at 34… Yikes. Seems like a case of the Pats negotiating against themselves, bc find it hard to believe that other teams were falling over themselves to give him that type of guarantee.

This the only signing so far that I don’t like. That guarantee puts him in the top 20 highest paid right tackles! I don’t care if he is still a beast in the running game and great in the locker room, if he ends up playing significant snaps next year, he’s going to put Mac in danger, when he is matched against athletic edge rushers. Even early in his career, he was only an average athlete for an OT, but at 34… Yikes. Seems like a case of the Pats negotiating against themselves, bc find it hard to believe that other teams were falling over themselves to give him that type of guarantee.
3 teams in 3 years which all had big needs in the o-line. If they thought highly of him than i think they would have resgined him imo

To me this is a strong signal that we’re drafting a LT in the first. This veteran will show the promising rookie how to conduct himself. Be setting the tone. Make AK’s job easier.

I’m thinking the Patriots strongly desire Broderick Jones and will be willing to jump a few places higher in the first to get him. Gotta make sure the Jets don’t get him.

That would be a travesty. I like it when they go after the Vernon Gholstons of the draft.

To me this is a strong signal that we’re drafting a LT in the first. This veteran will show the promising rookie how to conduct himself. Be setting the tone. Make AK’s job easier.

I’m thinking the Patriots strongly desire Broderick Jones and will be willing to jump a few places higher in the first to get him. Gotta make sure the Jets don’t get him.

That would be a travesty. I like it when they go after the Vernon Gholstons of the draft.
It's likely the Jets won't have a first round pick...

Sounds like your friend was spot on.
Agreed, we had to be pretty desperate to target & give guranteed money to a 34 year old Lineman. Reiff played with fields last season he'll make every lineman look good with his athletic ability

Agreed, we had to be pretty desperate to target & give guranteed money to a 34 year old Lineman. Reiff played with fields last season he'll make every lineman look good with his athletic ability
Not really. His mobility, and the way he extends plays, is a blocker’s worst nightmare in pass pro. That’s not to say Reiff is good. At 34, saying that he fallen off a cliff is a reasonable take. But, the quarterbacks who have the quick release and take what the defense gives them are the OL’s best friend.

Not really. His mobility, and the way he extends plays, is a blocker’s worst nightmare in pass pro. That’s not to say Reiff is good. At 34, saying that he fallen off a cliff is a reasonable take. But, the quarterbacks who have the quick release and take what the defense gives them are the OL’s best friend.
Not necessarily.. I get what your saying.. but when Allen or Jackson break the pocket so to speak.. defenders eyes are on them.. all linemen are doing is being road graters at that point.. O lineman like to go forward not backwards.. standing in the pocket trying to hold off D linemen is difficult . A mobile QB helps an offensive line.

Not necessarily.. I get what your saying.. but when Allen or Jackson break the pocket so to speak.. defenders eyes are on them.. all linemen are doing is being road graters at that point.. O lineman like to go forward not backwards.. standing in the pocket trying to hold off D linemen is difficult . A mobile QB helps an offensive line.
Yes, necessarily. If the QB improvises a lot, it allows defenders with their eyes on the QB to disengage from OL who have their backs to the QB. It makes the blocker’s job exponentially harder unless it’s a rollout by design (I.E., bootleg).

Yes, necessarily. If the QB improvises a lot, it allows defenders with their eyes on the QB to disengage from OL who have their backs to the QB. It makes the blocker’s job exponentially harder unless it’s a rollout by design (I.E., bootleg).
Ok.. I understand your point. I guess we are just looking at it differently.. no harm in having a different opinion. I'm looking at the eye test, and the fact that LJs O line absolutely loves him. Those guys are all basically near ALL PRO caliber players becuase of his abilities. Mobile QBs aid the offense, and O line tremendously. We've had the greatest pocket passer in NFL history for 2 decades so we aren't accustomed to seeing that in NE. So either having an accurate passer that gets rid of the ball quickly like Mac or a guy that can break containment at any time can help and O line tremendously. I remember David Andrews saying he loved when cam newton used to run. Even go back to that 2020 game in Seattle Cam was sensational his running abilities allow guys to be open.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back