PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Corey Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time a former 1st round pick was on a practice squad?

Coleman is smarter than I thought if he puts his ego aside and comes back here on the PS.
Fact of the matter is that his market isn’t very good after being dumped so many times and he’s made somewhat decent money already being a first-rounder. Pats don’t have a whole lot at WR after this year if I recall correctly. It makes a lot of sense IMO for Coleman to hang on the PS and learn the playbook, maybe get called up this year if necessary, but mainly focus on next year and put everything he has into it. He could legitimately become a serious piece of the offense with dedication. I think he would still only be an RFA next year anyway. But then the following year he could be positioned to get a nice raise here or try to be paid handsomely elsewhere.

Fact of the matter is that his market isn’t very good after being dumped so many times and he’s made somewhat decent money already being a first-rounder. Pats don’t have a whole lot at WR after this year if I recall correctly. It makes a lot of sense IMO for Coleman to hang on the PS and learn the playbook, maybe get called up this year if necessary, but mainly focus on next year and put everything he has into it. He could legitimately become a serious piece of the offense with dedication. I think he would still only be an RFA next year anyway. But then the following year he could be positioned to get a nice raise here or try to be paid handsomely elsewhere.
Staying on the practice squad is no sure bet. All it takes is another team needing help at WR, wanting to take a good look at him and he's gone.

Staying on the practice squad is no sure bet. All it takes is another team needing help at WR, wanting to take a good look at him and he's gone.
Yep, very true. I do wonder what his commitment to staying here will be if offers to join the back end of someone else’s 53 roll in. You’d hope that perhaps Bill liked what he saw and gave him some level of assurance that if he sticks around on the PS and keeps learning, he would have a legitimate shot at a big role next season, or even this season if the need presented itself.

Sure, sure. Prove It! Give us some example of a team just signing a guy off another team's practice squad. That never happens!

<scans transaction list from past 24 hours>

Ummm..... err..... Nevermind.

I believe that if a player is claimed off a team's practice squad (meaning he'll be on the claiming team's 53), he is compelled to go. In other words, he can't refuse and stay on the PS.
Can't the team block and put them on their 53?

I believe that if a player is claimed off a team's practice squad (meaning he'll be on the claiming team's 53), he is compelled to go. In other words, he can't refuse and stay on the PS.
I don't believe that is true. I'm pretty sure D.J. Foster told teams not to try to sign him from the NE Practice Squad in recent years because he didn't want to leave. That said, I think the Pats were actually paying Foster the equivalent of a 53-man roster minimum salary on their PS instead of a more PS-level salary. Even so, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the player has the right to choose his contract, even if it's a much smaller PS contract vs. a 53-man roster contract. Also, no reason the Pats couldn't choose to pay Coleman like he's on their 53 too if they wanted to achieve a similar result.

No, not only can his current team put him on the roster, but the player can choose to stay on the ps. It seems to happen a decent amount with the Pats, actually, and usuallly involves a raise for the player.

Don't know if I am happier about this or the Gordon signing. :confused::D

Seriously though he gives us great depth on our PS at that position. And he can learn our Playbook nothing but upside here. And IF Coleman does the work BB will put him on the regular roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back