PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Corey Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which is why I initially was perplexed about him only getting a one year deal. The signing seemed like a longer tryout, depth and 2019 move to me with the potential for him to run some go routes or designed plays this year.

Maybe
have a rudimentary package of plays when we hit late season. More likely gone by then.

Which is why I initially was perplexed about him only getting a one year deal. The signing seemed like a longer tryout, depth and 2019 move to me with the potential for him to run some go routes or designed plays this year.

Maybe
have a rudimentary package of plays when we hit late season. More likely gone by then.
Could be he only wanted a 1 yr deal. That way if he kicks ass this year he'll be a FA in 2019.

I've never understood why the Pats have never been able to effectively utilize some of these athletically gifted but mentally limited WRs. It's not like everyone has to achieve the required mind meld with Brady - can't you have someone like Coleman running a very limited route tree (some go routes and some hitches) that don't require a lot of thinking? If he's fast and can still catch, the opponents have to respect him with their fastest corner and maybe a safety over the top even if you don't throw to him all that much.
I think your conclusion that all of these guys who didn't work out here have been "mentally limited" is overly-assumptive. My guess is that it's been more varied and complex than that. But, that's just my take.

I think your conclusion that all of these guys who didn't work out here have been "mentally limited" is overly-assumptive. My guess is that it's been more varied and complex than that. But, that's just my take.
Agree. There are multiple reasons why WRs crash and burn here. Some were injury -related.

I brought up the fact that Patterson and Coleman had Wonderlic scores of 11 and 10 respectfully. Does that mean they do not have the mental capacity to learn the offense? Not at all. What it does mean for certain is they are ****ty test takers.

ould be he only wanted a 1 yr deal. That way if he kicks ass this year he'll be a FA in 2019.

As others have already pointed out to me. He will be a RFA no matter what this offseason. So the Pats have a cheap option for a second year.

As others have already pointed out to me. He will be a RFA no matter what this offseason. So the Pats have a cheap option for a second year.
Oh I didn't catch that. So the NEP have some control over him next year.

I wouldn’t expect to see anything out of Coleman this week. The Jags will be playing press man all game long

I wouldn’t expect to see anything out of Coleman this week. The Jags will be playing press man all game long
Which is a damn shame as that is his #1 strength- beating man coverage.

Hopefully he's all -in, learns quickly and Tom gains enough trust in him to throw the ball his way.

Which is a damn shame as that is his #1 strength- beating man coverage.

Hopefully he's all -in, learns quickly and Tom gains enough trust in him to throw the ball his way.

He might surprise me and beat it, but we all know those Jags corners are unreal in press coverage!

I think he will be good for us. The thing is we will put him in the position to be successful like we’re doing with Patterson!

I like Colemans skill set for our offense over Dez.
Maybe if he has a good year he resigns at a reasonable rate.
Are we signing any of the cut players back to the ps?

He might surprise me and beat it, but we all know those Jags corners are unreal in press coverage!

I think he will be good for us. The thing is we will put him in the position to be successful like we’re doing with Patterson!

If they use him as a downfield threat and showcase his speed.

I don’t think he needs to learn the playbook as extensively as other WR on the roster just needs to get downfield.

There’s only a handful of wrs that can come in here and do well. Idk if Coleman is one of those guys. I am hoping that dorsett can be consistent and build that trust with Brady. Still a long way to go with him.

Could be he only wanted a 1 yr deal. That way if he kicks ass this year he'll be a FA in 2019.

IMO he signed a 1 year deal because chances are that whatever tender he gets next year is more $$ than the probable minimum he would have gotten in the second year of a deal signed now.

Me neither until someone pointed it out. Didnt put his RFA status together. The entire move just being on a one year deal technically made suddenly more sense to me.

I'm hopeful. Just never know with these fmr 1st rd picks that have flamed out.

Maybe they can put him in for a handful of plays and run some quick outs or something.

IMO he signed a 1 year deal because chances are that whatever tender he gets next year is more $$ than the probable minimum he would have gotten in the second year of a deal signed now.

Me neither until someone pointed it out. Didnt put his RFA status together. The entire move just being on a one year deal technically made suddenly more sense to me.

Makes total sense to me.

Agree. There are multiple reasons why WRs crash and burn here. Some were injury -related.

I brought up the fact that Patterson and Coleman had Wonderlic scores of 11 and 10 respectfully. Does that mean they do not have the mental capacity to learn the offense? Not at all. What it does mean for certain is they are ****ty test takers.
Yeah, I look at guys like Gronk and Randy Moss who I think are near-brilliant when it comes to football intelligence, at least according to BB and TB12. While I think both of them are likely far more intelligent in non-football areas than some would believe, I'd guess their overall mental acuity is, in fact, somewhat less than their football smarts. But, once again, like others I'm really just speculating.

Even without Edelman last year Offense had a Healthy Cooks. Coleman should be able to get by on his physicality and skill set alone. Coleman was a better prospect than Dorsett coming out he Coleman couldn't ask for a better scenario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand