PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what people get upset with is not so much Tebow but it's the same thing people get upset with in politics when (some) evangelicals think people are anti-Christian. It's the "Witnessing". For people who don't know, some denominations believe that they are called to spread the word of Jesus and do so aggressively. This has always been a turn-off for non-Christians and even Christians that don't believe that "Witnessing" should such an overt thing if at all.

What people are guarded against is the thought that somehow Tebow's success is a dream come true for those who see his success as some huge public "Witnessing". The idea that something they love, football, would be turned into a platform for "Witnessing" is nauseating.

Personally, I think Tebow is probably a good kid from all accounts ( I don't personally know him). His football skill at this level is an unknown though. He's had some success but there are lots of question marks. I don't care if he thanks God, Jesus, Allah, or Ganesha for that matter. Let's leave it at that though and not turn this into some "Witnessing" platform for those who would exploit that kind of success. People don't want that door open.

People don't like religion forced upon them in this country and it's immature to think that it's because their anti anything. If someone constantly told you how to raise your kids or how to do your job, you'd be turned off too. It's "Witnessing" that's at the real root of the issue for most people.

Totally agree. Doesn't make them anti-religion, they just want a separation of church and stadium. People watch football and go to the games to get a break from the every day race religion and politics issues. All that stuff about religion, people want checked at the door when the ball is kicked off and all that kind of stuff goes out the window for three hours or so/

I was kinda dreading that sort of thing about Tebow ever since he put out that Superbowl ad out. Last thing I wanted was an abortion debate around the Superbowl. It only lasted for a day though, and you really had to look for it in the commercial. But it also set the tone on Tebow's career making him polarizing even amongst those that wasn't familiar with him in college before he was even drafted and set foot in the NFL.

If Tebow is not some blathering hypocrite, and there are plenty in the public sector, I don't care if he follows his beliefs. He seems to be a good guy, if reports are true, so if what he is doing doesn't hurt the team then let him do it.

At this point, as long as he wears Patriots colors, I view him as the little brother. You can pick on him, but you destroy anyone outside the family who wants to pick on him. If he finds a place on the team and can contribute, I am all for it. I hope he does.

I've not been on the board for a few days and maybe this has been discussed. But does anyone know how Tebow has actually looked on the practice field so far? Any news on his performance? Is he sucking? Is he throwing the ball well? What's actually happening?

I've not been on the board for a few days and maybe this has been discussed. But does anyone know how Tebow has actually looked on the practice field so far? Any news on his performance? Is he sucking? Is he throwing the ball well? What's actually happening?

Based on what was said during his first practice, he went 4 for 7 (with one of the in-completions being a dropped pass) .

Krtaft said he looked good throwing the ball (he is not a coach but no coach has said anything so I am throwing this in there).

Also a writer for the new york post said he looked really improved throwing the ball.

Here is actual tweet:

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Not going to lie: Tebow's throwing motion is noticeably improved. Better arm angle, tighter spirals. Work with Testaverde apparently helped.
11:42 AM - 12 Jun 2013

Based on what was said during his first practice, he went 4 for 7 (with one of the in-completions being a dropped pass) .

Krtaft said he looked good throwing the ball (he is not a coach but no coach has said anything so I am throwing this in there).

Also a writer for the new york post said he looked really improved throwing the ball.

Here is actual tweet:

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Not going to lie: Tebow's throwing motion is noticeably improved. Better arm angle, tighter spirals. Work with Testaverde apparently helped.
11:42 AM - 12 Jun 2013

When watching the NFL Network on the day he signed, it was mentioned that his QB coaches were saying that his mechanics were vastly improved this off-season. I sort of dismissed it under "they would say that wouldn't they" but hopefully there may be something to it

Just one purely speculative thought. I've just started looking at the 2014 draft - starting with QBs. I'm a believer that we need to start thinking about the post-Brady transition now and should be thinking about drafting a QB every year until we find the right candidate for the QBOTF. Bearing in mind that it's possible Mallett might be traded at the end of the year, I wonder if Tebow was brought in to give some experience to the backup slot if they draft a rookie backup next year. Whatever one thinks of his QB skills, he does have the experience of leading the huddle in a competitive environment.

Note, I'm not saying that we should be going in to the 2014-15 season with Tebow as the primary backup - more that he'd serve as insurance should a rookie not grab the #2 spot immediately.

When watching the NFL Network on the day he signed, it was mentioned that his QB coaches were saying that his mechanics were vastly improved this off-season. I sort of dismissed it under "they would say that wouldn't they" but hopefully there may be something to it

Thanks to you and Ironman44. This is good information. At least it appears that TT is improving. That's better than, wow, he's slinging the ball ten feet over peoples' heads.

The problem with correcting any bad habit, in this case Tebow's mechanics is what happens under stress, not what happens in ideal situations. The real test comes when he's got 800 pounds of beef bearing down on him. Can he maintain good mechanics or does he revert to what's comfortable and familiar? It's good if he knows what he should do to improve. What he does in a real situation will determine whether he's made real progress or not.

The problem with correcting any bad habit, in this case Tebow's mechanics is what happens under stress, not what happens in ideal situations. The real test comes when he's got 800 pounds of beef bearing down on him. Can he maintain good mechanics or does he revert to what's comfortable and familiar? It's good if he knows what he should do to improve. What he does in a real situation will determine whether he's made real progress or not.

Very true. But it's a start, anyway.

I'll believe it when I see it. He allegedly "fixed" his mechanics in each and every offseason he had been in, including spending time with some other "guru" before he was drafted. So we heard it all before. He definately kept a low profile and spent a lot more time on it during this offseason though when he saw his career circling the drain, so he might have this time around. Before, he'd spend a couple of weeks going over mechanics, and then head for the cameras enjoying celebrity status.

But like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree, those fixes were in place before, but all that goes out the window when put under duress, he goes by whatever instincts he was born with and reverts back to what worked in college. That's his MO. Hence, 90% of his game is improvising and trying to make lemonade out of every situation whether it is neccessary or not.

Bill Belichick owns the Jets

The Jets Will Be Paying More for Tim Tebow than the Patriots » Ex-Pats

If Tim makes the roster with the Patriots, he will make the league minimum contract $630,000. With the $575 he will make from attending mini-camp, Tebow would cost the Pats $630,575. If he’s around for the 2014 season, Tim will make $755,000 ($730,000 base salary and $25,000 for a workout bonus). That means in two years, the Pats will pay a maximum $1,385,525.

When the Jets acquired Tebow from the Denver Broncos on March 23, 2012, they agreed to repay the Broncos for a portion of a $6,277,500 salary advance that Tebow had received from Denver in 2011, an amount totaling $2,531,875.

Re: Bill Belichick owns the Jets

The Jets front office is awesome.
Hope they sign Rex to a 20 year deal.

Great nugget (and gives me no small pleasure with my NY/NJ friends!) However I had to merge that into this thread:

1) It's about the Tebow signing
2) That info is already at least two days old and was already discussed in post #940 among others in this thread.
3) We're trying to keep the Tebow threads from proliferating (especially when redundant).

I hope you don't mind. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Great nugget (and gives me no small pleasure with my NY/NJ friends!) However I had to merge that into this thread:

2) That info is already at least two days old and was already discussed in post #940 among others in this thread.
3) We're trying to keep the Tebow threads from proliferating (especially when redundant).

No worries!

I shouldve just posted under this thread from the start. Thanks

Skip Bayless was saying the other day on 'First Take' that he thinks BB will have Tebow do 2 point conversions after every touchdown. Which got me thinking - do the rules allow a third quarterback to come in intermittently at different points in the game?

Skip Bayless was saying the other day on 'First Take' that he thinks BB will have Tebow do 2 point conversions after every touchdown. Which got me thinking - do the rules allow a third quarterback to come in intermittently at different points in the game?

Yes. The NFL changed the rule about QB substitutions a couple of years ago. As I understand it, if you wanted to, you could rotate QB1, QB2 and QB3 all game long.

Yeah, it is allowed, but not many teams dress 3 QBs anymore. So if they plan on using Tebow, either Mallet ends up being moved down or Tebow is activated as a third, but seeing time elsewhere in the lineup.

That rule that used to be in play was why he was made the #2 his rookie year, so that they may use him in wildcats and such. Now he can be the #3 or #4 and can still see more time on the field than the #2 due to his running abilities.

Good riddance, what a stupid rule.

Skip Bayless is high on crack though (he usually is) if he thinks BB is gonna go for two all the time. I don't think Tebow in that situation would be all that "unstoppable" anyway. He's good in that situation, but not THAT good. When something starts to work A LOT, sooner or later, teams WILL figure out how to stop it. better to just take the nearly automatic point. But I'm sure old Skippy already thought of that...

If he's on the active 46, yes. The NFL did away with the rule where your third QB could be inactive, but play late in a game if both of your first two QBs were hurt.

Sorry for the side note, but after what I've dealt with the last year on some unnamed Jets board... I have to say you are a FANTASTIC mod!

Sorry for the side note, but after what I've dealt with the last year on some unnamed Jets board... I have to say you are a FANTASTIC mod!

Comparing Pats mods to Jets ones, is just like comparing Pats to Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back