PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
For the long term they need to get elite talent at these 2 positions, which are harder to fill than WR.
Their OL personal is really mediocre at present. Signing Reilly Reif has not materially upgraded the position. Great news is that Isaiah "show me the money" Wynn is gone.
  1. There has been a lot of talk about how Patriots need to get playmakers at skill positions for Mac to succeed.
  2. Even more critical and fundamental to his success will be strengthening the OL, so he has time to scan the field and so they can run the ball. At 14 they should be able to get a top 3 OT. I believe this is where they should go.

CB obviously is also a critical position and although they did re sign Jones, their CB group as a whole suffers from lack of height and physicality (unless you think Wade will make the team and step up). There is an abundance of top tier CB's that should be available at 14 and if Joey Porter Jr is there and the OT they want is not there jump all over it.

FORGET drafting a WR at 14, even if JSN is available. Their wide receivers as a group are solid (but not spectacular). I guess it's even possible that Thornton could develop into the vertical threat they need. As has been well documented, they are not interested in Hopkins. OBJ is probably going to the jets to play with Rodgers and I believe the Broncos intend to hold onto Jeudy. They will have other chances to get WR1 next year in UFA, or through released players.

I know it's only 3 weeks into free agency, but like many I have not been terribly excited by what they have done. Schuster-Smith to replace Myers and Robinson to replace Harris is like treading water...certainly not a marked improvement. Riley Reiff and the JAG OT and 2 special teams players....that is not going to move the needle..unless they are planning to dominate games with special teams.

Patriots had 4th or 5th most cap room at start of the season and have not yet utilized it to take a big step forward. BB had better NAIL this draft...or this team is going to take up long term residence in 4th place in the AFC East.

Long term, I see BB coaching two more years until Mayo takes over in 25-26 as head coach. Clearly BB is thinking long term and does not want to leave Mayo in cap hell when Mayo likely takes over in March 25.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad idea to draft an OT or CB with pick 14...if were not drafting a WR there then those are my 2 position choices. However you're also saying to wait till next year to sign, trade or draft a WR. I'm not really on-board with that. Why wait? Why not attempt to acquire a WR now to help Mac in 2023 so he can be more effective? OBJ, Hopkins and Jeudy haven't been signed / traded yet. And their may be more WR's getting cut so teams can get under the cap. Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor ?

I think the Pats will draft Lukas Van Ness. A true stud and difference maker. Incredibly athletic, huge upside, think Richard Seymour. We are in the top 15 and should draft BPA, not only OT or CB or WR. The Pats should pick someone who can dominate for years to come.

OT and CB are both very deep positions that have some late rd 1/rd 2 talent. If the OT they covet isn’t available, and Gonzales and Porter are gone, I’d like to see them trade down if there are some good offers and really load up with picks in the top 3 rds.

They'll trade back unless someone they love but was expected to be unavailable falls into their lap.

Our top need is a playmaker.

We can get a quality offensive tackle in round two. We can get a quality corner on day 3.

What we can not get outside of the first 25 picks is a playmaker.

In the first round we take either wr Addison or tight end Mayer if Addison is off the board!!!!!

In the second round, we take offensive tackle freeland!!!!!!!

In the third round, we take wr tank Dell

In the fourth round we take free safety battle of alabama and the best defensive tackle and corner on the board.

In the sixth round I like offensive tackle meyers of Michigan, after we move him to right offensive tackle

Our top need is a playmaker.

We can get a quality offensive tackle in round two. We can get a quality corner on day 3.

What we can not get outside of the first 25 picks is a playmaker.

In the first round we take either wr Addison or tight end Mayer if Addison is off the board!!!!!

In the second round, we take offensive tackle freeland!!!!!!!

In the third round, we take wr tank Dell

In the fourth round we take free safety battle of alabama and the best defensive tackle and corner on the board.

In the sixth round I like offensive tackle meyers of Michigan, after we move him to right offensive tackle
You aren't like to get a shutdown corner on day 3.

The PATS do great finding DBs and OL late in the draft.

WR is the biggest need and not another project like Thornton. Who knows what he will turn out to be? Flip a coin because he has shown NOTHING to indicate that he will be special. So, if a stud WR falls past 10th the Pats need to go get him. Move up and take your guy. A WR who can play great this season.

For the long term they need to get elite talent at these 2 positions, which are harder to fill than WR.
Their OL personal is really mediocre at present. Signing Reilly Reif has not materially upgraded the position. Great news is that Isaiah "show me the money" Wynn is gone.
  1. There has been a lot of talk about how Patriots need to get playmakers at skill positions for Mac to succeed.
  2. Even more critical and fundamental to his success will be strengthening the OL, so he has time to scan the field and so they can run the ball. At 14 they should be able to get a top 3 OT. I believe this is where they should go.

CB obviously is also a critical position and although they did re sign Jones, their CB group as a whole suffers from lack of height and physicality (unless you think Wade will make the team and step up). There is an abundance of top tier CB's that should be available at 14 and if Joey Porter Jr is there and the OT they want is not there jump all over it.

FORGET drafting a WR at 14, even if JSN is available. Their wide receivers as a group are solid (but not spectacular). I guess it's even possible that Thornton could develop into the vertical threat they need. As has been well documented, they are not interested in Hopkins. OBJ is probably going to the jets to play with Rodgers and I believe the Broncos intend to hold onto Jeudy. They will have other chances to get WR1 next year in UFA, or through released players.

I know it's only 3 weeks into free agency, but like many I have not been terribly excited by what they have done. Schuster-Smith to replace Myers and Robinson to replace Harris is like treading water...certainly not a marked improvement. Riley Reiff and the JAG OT and 2 special teams players....that is not going to move the needle..unless they are planning to dominate games with special teams.

Patriots had 4th or 5th most cap room at start of the season and have not yet utilized it to take a big step forward. BB had better NAIL this draft...or this team is going to take up long term residence in 4th place in the AFC East.

Long term, I see BB coaching two more years until Mayo takes over in 25-26 as head coach. Clearly BB is thinking long term and does not want to leave Mayo in cap hell when Mayo likely takes over in March 25.
I can bet you the team takes an OT, I'm confident in the draft becuase of the involvement of others notably Matt groh. And now BOB. As great as BB has been even geniuses at thier respective crafts need the informed opinions of others.

You mentioned Wade, what a mystery this guy is. We trade for him, he ends up on IR for what 2 seasons basically? When he has played I hadn't noticed he was on the field. So not sure why he's still even on the roster at this point.

We need impact players in the secondary. Yes I know we'll draft some guys But we also need a vet or 2 even for depth purposes.. Terrance Mitchell played well in camp and preseason last year he's a guy that could at least be available for depth. My hope is we look at sean Murphy-bunting his contract won't be ridiculous he a young, big, physical cover guy. Not sure what the thinking is of the team. They've made some solid moves in gisikie and juju.. I have to think another move or 2 is imminent.. We lack that " guy" at WR and the CB depth is lacking

I can bet you the team takes an OT, I'm confident in the draft becuase of the involvement of others notably Matt groh. And now BOB. As great as BB has been even geniuses at thier respective crafts need the informed opinions of others.

You mentioned Wade, what a mystery this guy is. We trade for him, he ends up on IR for what 2 seasons basically? When he has played I hadn't noticed he was on the field. So not sure why he's still even on the roster at this point.

We need impact players in the secondary. Yes I know we'll draft some guys But we also need a vet or 2 even for depth purposes.. Terrance Mitchell played well in camp and preseason last year he's a guy that could at least be available for depth. My hope is we look at sean Murphy-bunting his contract won't be ridiculous he a young, big, physical cover guy. Not sure what the thinking is of the team. They've made some solid moves in gisikie and juju.. I have to think another move or 2 is imminent.. We lack that " guy" at WR and the CB depth is lacking
I think Bunting signed with the Titans.

I agree, the only pushback is I haven't broken down this draft class or know how deep both the OT and CB position's are.

They could be staring at a franchise altering talent at 14 and might have to take the best player available.

An offense wrecker at DT or DE or LB for example could make you think twice, especially if you know the CB position is deep.

Yeah.. 1 yr 3.5 million.. wow what a low cost for a starting CB who has championship pedigree... another FA miss
Hard to call it a "miss" at this point. Lots of teams need corners and he had no market, clearly. I'm pretty sure coaches review tapes extensively and talk around before they make a decision. If the best he found was 3.5, he needs to prove something, apparently.

We do not need a shutdown corner. We need a corner that can play in our system!
I think every NFL team wants a shut down corner.. however ty law, revis, and now sauce those guys are draft gems that only come around once in a blue moon..

We need a corner that can play press man, and play with physicality in our system.. We are a man coverage team however we've lacked the talent at the CB position to do so.. So we've played zone and rely on our front 4 to harass the QB in wich we do at a high level.

Hard to call it a "miss" at this point. Lots of teams need corners and he had no market, clearly. I'm pretty sure coaches review tapes extensively and talk around before they make a decision. If the best he found was 3.5, he needs to prove something, apparently.
I called it a miss because the kids been a starter has championship pedigree, has excellent coverage skills and football IQ.. and he's physical.. only knock on him is injury history.. He would have been cheap for us.. So not sure if the team even showed interest in him or not.. we have no one on the current roster with his size and skill set right now. So I guess they think Sean Wade will actually come in to work..

I just want a great player. Biggest need is OT and CB. But I’m definitely open to other positions as long as they are difference makers. If its a WR or a DE and they can help the team, I’m good. Hell, even if its the RB Bijan Robinson I’d be stoked. Difference maker who is considered top 5 talent. Sure we got Rham but I wouldnt be mad at the pick at all. Seems like a special talent.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back