PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

And this is totally irrelevant to the discussion since we're talking about Patriots players leaving to play with other teams.
I didnt bring up Brady and Gronk.

The hand thing is so overblown. Keenan Allen and Deebo Samuel with 10" hands. Chase with 9 5/8" Leaders in drops.

FR3tvK2UcAA4Lfe
8" hands are not small hands.

BB says that I you can get both hands on the ball that you should catch it.

There’s no reason why he shouldn’t get playing time as this is an era where it’s a lot easier for offensive players to hit the ground running.

Parker should be the day 1 starter on the outside with Thornton pushing Agholor for the other side.
1652010764926.pngI would have to disagree with assessment in this debate. Average NFL wr speed at best, Parker and Agholor are the interchangeable parts. 4.28 speed means i am PAST you at your 4.45 speed 40 yards down the field. Can we agree? TY is open and Mac Jones needs a receiver to be open. You will see in camp and hopefully see my side in the future. Game-changers need to start.
Me the old man remembers Terry Glenn training camp at Bryant college where Ty Law was covering, epic battles. Glenn's airborne catches where amazing.... Bledsoe had an arm, i hope Mac can unload when it's time.

Seymour played in obscurity after leaving NE.
he made two Pro Bowls in Oakland. His second and third years after leaving. He didn’t make the pro bowl his last two years in NE. I think one could argue he was more obscure at the end of his tenure in NE than in Oakland. His last was an all pro his third year after leaving.

Last edited:
I keep hearing that Thorton is to thin and that the pick was a reach, he is a 4th round talent. He is the same effin size as Jameson Williams who everyone raves about. Honestly when I watch tape of both I don't see a great difference. What am I missing?
I know they are the same size, but to my eye, Williams looks thinner than Thornton.

It heard it was between a 47-51 at his Marshall pro day.
Randy Moss was the most talented NFL WR of all time. Jerry Rice was the GOAT, but Moss was the most talented. If he had the work ethic Rice had, Moss would’ve had every receiver record ever. He was just an unbelievable player. There was a rumor that when the Pats got him at at 30, he was still running a 4.35. It might have been even faster. Add in ridiculous vertical ability, and being 6’4”, just made him virtually unstoppable.

But when we talk about thin, I believe Moss’ combine measurements were 6’4” 194. I’m sure he finished his career around 6’4” 205 or 210.

I don’t think Thornton will get a ton of playing time. Only way he does is if they trade Agholor and/or Parker gets injured (a possibility). But you look at the guys ahead of him, I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time year 1.

Parker, Bourne, Meyers and Agholor, that makes Thornton WR 5. I could see him catching 20-30 passes this season when giving Parker a breather. I know he was taken high, but he has guys ahead of him. Agholor will be gone in 2023. A year of learning and some experience will help Thornton slide right into Agholor’s playing time in 2023.

People talking about Terry Glenn. That was a different time. The Pats were starved for talented receivers, and Glenn was the PERFECT draft choice at that time, you knew he would be a starter the minute he got his jersey. The current Pat’s receivers ahead of Thornton had 215 catches and 2654 yards last year. Sure, Pats are desperate for speed, but I just don’t see Thornton beating any of those guys out right away.

I didnt bring up Brady and Gronk.
They are 2 examples of players who left after not getting contract expectations met. Just like the others. Neither left because they were up against the cap. In fact, Brady was given a one year offer, which would have all been under the cap, nothing pushed out into the future.

I don’t think Thornton will get a ton of playing time. Only way he does is if they trade Agholor and/or Parker gets injured (a possibility). But you look at the guys ahead of him, I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time year 1.

Parker, Bourne, Meyers and Agholor, that makes Thornton WR 5. I could see him catching 20-30 passes this season when giving Parker a breather. I know he was taken high, but he has guys ahead of him. Agholor will be gone in 2023. A year of learning and some experience will help Thornton slide right into Agholor’s playing time in 2023.

People talking about Terry Glenn. That was a different time. The Pats were starved for talented receivers, and Glenn was the PERFECT draft choice at that time, you knew he would be a starter the minute he got his jersey. The current Pat’s receivers ahead of Thornton had 215 catches and 2654 yards last year. Sure, Pats are desperate for speed, but I just don’t see Thornton beating any of those guys out right away.
I agree.

Agholor also won't be traded because what team with $10m under the cap will want him?

Will the Jags trade for him?

They are 2 examples of players who left after not getting contract expectations met. Just like the others. Neither left because they were up against the cap. In fact, Brady was given a one year offer, which would have all been under the cap, nothing pushed out into the future.
That is not true, Brady left because our cap space problems. We literally had 1 mill in cap space (or less) the day Brady as offered 25 million by Tampa. I remember him saying he called Kraft (possibly to give them a chance to match, which they couldn’t) and they had a very sad conversation, because both knew Brady was going.

You can’t make up that much cap space to match 25 mill, when you have 1 mill. Belichick played the cap space game for years, creating space any way possible in lieu of winning championships, which was the right thing to do, I will cherish those championships. It finally caught up with him for n 2020. He had no more moves to make.

Last year they had a ton of space, and signed a lot of big ticket guys, this year, not so much, and we lost guys. Next year, supposedly they will have a lot of cap space again.

You can only do so much when you’re up against the cap. Media and some Pat’s fans and Pat’s haters, say Belichick forced Brady out, that’s not true. It was all about the cap. Also, there’s a fallacy that the Pats are cheap, not true, when they have cap space, they use it. Look at 2014, 2017 & 2021.

If we traded up for a guy top 50 that doesn't crack the rotation someone needs to be held accountable. Enough is enough with picking guys top 60 only to see them on the bench. Really hope this isn't the case.

I expect Thornton to play in place of Parker occasionally. I am really unsure how all these kind of different receivers will be deployed.

Parker should be an obvious starter with Agholore. That means Bourne and Myers who are very different will need to find snaps in a run heavy 2 TE offense...well, 2 TE..we will see...maybe we will see more 3 wr sets.

Thornton could easily add 10-15 pounds.

I see your point somewhat. I feel that Mac can throw for 5000 yards this season with Thorton being the #1 WR. Don't care about rank or contract or number of years here. Our receiving core is shot, this is the (starved for talent) citation right now i.m.o. Name a receiver on last years team that any team was afraid of... hmm, crickets... Sorry coach. We got owned in last years playoffs and our receivers could not get open. Just this kid on the field i.m.o scares defenses to double cover him which will open the offense up all year, every game. If your right it's a big mistake for this franchise for this kid to play a small role on the offense. We will see. 5/8/2022.

If we traded up for a guy top 50 that doesn't crack the rotation someone needs to be held accountable. Enough is enough with picking guys top 60 only to see them on the bench. Really hope this isn't the case.
You’re not thinking logically. This isn’t 1996 or 2006 when the team was desperate for IMMEDIATE WR help. Also, the trade up was 4 spots from 54 to 50, and gave up a 5th round pick to do so, it’s not like we made a major trade to move up 4 slots. Right or wrong, They obviously didn’t think Thornton would be there at 54. But like another poster stated, selecting Thornton isn’t just about 2022, it’s more for 2023 when Thornton will get tons of playing time. Accountability for a player we JUST drafted, well that’s kinda silly.

I also think people are forgetting the Pats traded for Parker. The minute this trade happened, Parker automatically became our best receiver. Bourne and Meyers each had 800+ yards receiving, only 12 of the 32 teams had 2 or more 800 yard receivers. So those guys will get a lot of passes thrown their way. I expect Mac will have even more rapport with those guys in year 2.

The big question will be Agholor. He’s in a contract year, so do we get 2020 Raider’s Agholor this year, or do we get 2021 Pat’s Agholor, or does he get traded. IF he’s on the team, he is WR4. Thornton would have to beat him out in camp to be WR4. It’s really up to Thornton. But he starts out as WR5.

Training camp and the preseason games are gonna be fun, get to see Strange, Thornton, Strong and the new Harris play some games. As well as the DBs and other Olinemen drafted.

That is not true, Brady left because our cap space problems. We literally had 1 mill in cap space (or less) the day Brady as offered 25 million by Tampa. I remember him saying he called Kraft (possibly to give them a chance to match, which they couldn’t) and they had a very sad conversation, because both knew Brady was going.

You can’t make up that much cap space to match 25 mill, when you have 1 mill. Belichick played the cap space game for years, creating space any way possible in lieu of winning championships, which was the right thing to do, I will cherish those championships. It finally caught up with him for n 2020. He had no more moves to make.

Last year they had a ton of space, and signed a lot of big ticket guys, this year, not so much, and we lost guys. Next year, supposedly they will have a lot of cap space again.

You can only do so much when you’re up against the cap. Media and some Pat’s fans and Pat’s haters, say Belichick forced Brady out, that’s not true. It was all about the cap. Also, there’s a fallacy that the Pats are cheap, not true, when they have cap space, they use it. Look at 2014, 2017 & 2021.
That is not true. Brady leaving cost us $$$

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back