PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

Which drafted Pats players have moved on and not struggled?

Cassel - no
Jimi Baby - no
Branch - no
Seymour - no
Law - no
Wilfork - no
Ty Law led the league in interceptions and made a pro bowl after he left. Seymour made two pro bowls and an all pro team after leaving.

Also, Chandler Jones might make the hall of fame based largely on what he did after New England. Asante Samuel went to three straight pro bowls after New England.

I know this is on a site but A LOT of people have disputed this. I've never seen it verified by anyone saying it's real. That vert looks awfully suspect considering Randy was 6'4 and dunking as a teenager.

I know it's listed online but that site has been wrong before on multiple players. Maybe they did it differently and let you take a "gather step" but reports of hid vert were like 45+.

I wish someone would clear this up.
It heard it was between a 47-51 at his Marshall pro day.

Last edited:
I know this is on a site but A LOT of people have disputed this. I've never seen it verified by anyone saying it's real. That vert looks awfully suspect considering Randy was 6'4 and dunking as a teenager.

I know it's listed online but that site has been wrong before on multiple players. Maybe they did it differently and let you take a "gather step" but reports of hid vert were like 45+.

I wish someone would clear this up.
Yeah there is a lot of noise about Randy's numbers. The only thing he did at the Combine was post a 17 Wonderlic.

There are multiple conflicting Pro Day reports with a "hand timed" 40 as low as 4.25s and as high as 4.38s, and a Vertical as low as 33" and as high as 47"!

Based on watching Randy at Minnesota when he came out I'm inclined to believe the 4.25s and 47", he was unbelievable.

But here is the RAS compare for both:

RandyTy.PNG

Yeah there is a lot of noise about Randy's numbers. The only thing he did at the Combine was post a 17 Wonderlic.

There are multiple conflicting Pro Day reports with a "hand timed" 40 as low as 4.25s and as high as 4.38s, and a Vertical as low as 33" and as high as 47"!

Based on watching Randy at Minnesota when he came out I'm inclined to believe the 4.25s and 47", he was unbelievable.

View attachment 42968
That's the deceptive thing about RAS. Randy Moss was the fastest dude on the field whenever he stepped onto it. He scared DBs ****less. Those numbers aren't even close to describing what a menace Moss posed to the defense.

And I'm not even sure if they accurately reflect/measure his top end abilities. I'm cautiously optimistic about Tyquan Thornton, but if Randy Moss is in his prime I take him in a footrace against TT every time. And yeah I think Moss would DUNK on Thornton in a 1 on 1 on a basketball court too. So I don't believe those vert numbers are quite accurate either.

In an interview this week with CLNS Media, former Baylor wide receivers coach Chansi Stuckey feels that Thornton is uniquely talented to thrive in New England’s complex passing system.

Before becoming a coach, Stuckey spent five seasons in the NFL as a wide receiver with two former Belichick assistants in Eric Mangini (head coach) and Brian Daboll (QBs/offensive coordinator). As a result, he has been coaching Thornton for this moment.

“In my time in the league, I was always in a version of the New England offense, so that’s all I know,” Stuckey told CLNS Media. “That’s how I taught my guys to play and understand defenses. Understand the entirety of the play. So I expect him [Thornton] to be successful.”

The Patriots’ offense is frequently seen as the most complex scheme at any level of football. Mainly, players must understand the entire concept, not just their individual assignment.

Due to the optionality of the scheme, if you don’t understand what the receiver next to you is doing, and why, it can throw off the entire play if one receiver converts his route incorrectly.

“I don’t think he gets enough credit for how intelligent he is and how quickly he grasps things. He’s extremely smart, he loves ball,” Stuckey continued. “Now that he gets to do it full time, he’s really going to study. He really wants to be great. He’s super competitive.”

Randy Moss also had fairly good size hands for a WR1. Thompson has tiny hands. Well below the 25th percentile for a WR.

It heard it was between a 47-51 at his Marshall pro day.

View attachment 42968
That's the deceptive thing about RAS. Randy Moss was the fastest dude on the field whenever he stepped onto it. He scared DBs ****less. Those numbers aren't even close to describing what a menace Moss posed to the defense.

And I'm not even sure if they accurately reflect/measure his top end abilities. I'm cautiously optimistic about Tyquan Thornton, but if Randy Moss is in his prime I take him in a footrace against TT every time. And yeah I think Moss would DUNK on Thornton in a 1 on 1 on a basketball court too. So I don't believe those vert numbers are quite accurate either.

I'm not sure about that pro day or what even happened tbh. Those times, supposedly are from a private workout. Supposedly he had two. I wish their was someone to confirm this that was there.
"Marshall sophomore wide receiver Randy Moss, the enigma of the
first round because of his troubled past, had an impressive
workout for the handful of NFL teams who watched him go through
drills at his school last Friday. In a 25[degree] windchill,
Moss ran the 40 in 4.31, 4.35 and 4.44 seconds--superb times
even in ideal conditions. But his performance the night before
at a dinner with Bears coach Dave Wannstedt may have been
better. "He made a great impression," Wannstedt says.
"Well-dressed, polite, smart. The big question is whether he's
grown up, and nothing showed up negatively in our two days there."

"We get a lot of comments about Randy Moss, including very well meaning correction requests notifying us that the data is incorrect. There is a discrepancy here that it is worth explaining. The data was technically incorrect under the NFL Combine Results heading where it was previously placed on the site, because Randy Moss did not attend the NFL Combine. This data is also not from his infamous Marshall Pro Day.

The Randy Moss data on NFL Combine Results is from a Private Workout on 3/13/1998. It does not technically belong in the “Pro Day” or “NFL Combine” category, though technically it is closer to a Pro Day and the data has been moved to that section."

Lot of mystery around this. And then there's this.

Big discrepancy between weight as well.

Randy Moss also had fairly good size hands for a WR1. Thompson has tiny hands. Well below the 25th percentile for a WR.

I wouldn't think this will affect much more than one-handed catches and his overall reach radius. Shouldn't have much impact on his ability to catch the vast majority of the passes he'll see.

This thing about small hands, I can see being determinative for a quarterback. Looking at you Sam Darnold, Dante "Fumbles" Culpeper.

Here's something from 2017. Apparently, according to this, it should matter, but doesn't, in terms of drops.

Running a basic regression analysis also confirmed slight, insignificant correlation.

The R squared coefficient illustrates no meaningful relationship between hand size and contested catch rate.

So maybe if he's running after the catch and gets sloppy, small hands constitute an invitation for a jackhammering... christ, get your mind out of the gutter, talking about the football... but I am going to say, I'm gritting my teeth and rooting for greatness :D

Which drafted Pats players have moved on and not struggled?

Cassel - no
Jimi Baby - no
Branch - no
Seymour - no
Law - no
Wilfork - no
Amendola, Law, Seymour, Brady, Gronk, Thuney, Watson, Blount, Chandler Jones didn't struggle. Garoppolo did better elsewhere than he did here.

I wouldn't think this will affect much more than one-handed catches and his overall reach radius. Shouldn't have much impact on his ability to catch the vast majority of the passes he'll see.

This thing about small hands, I can see being determinative for a quarterback. Looking at you Sam Darnold, Dante "Fumbles" Culpeper.

Here's something from 2017. Apparently, according to this, it should matter, but doesn't, in terms of drops.

So maybe if he's running after the catch and gets sloppy, small hands constitute an invitation for a jackhammering... christ, get your mind out of the gutter, talking about the football... but I am going to say, I'm gritting my teeth and rooting for greatness :D
According to the below article, only two instances occurred of a WR being top 12 with hands smaller than 9 inches. Both were TY Hilton. He has hands larger than Thornton.

I don’t know that Thornton could have made that famous catch that Randy made over Revis

Last edited:
According to the below article, only two instances occurred of a WR being top 12 with hands smaller than 9 inches. Both were TY Hilton. He has hands larger than Thompson.

Okay but who's this Thompson? :D

I'm just going with, eff it, that's what offseason surgery's for, bionic that **** then

Amendola, Law, Seymour, Brady, Gronk, Thuney, Watson, Blount, Chandler Jones didn't struggle. Garoppolo did better elsewhere than he did here.
The Pats did not draft Blount and Almendola.

Seymour played in obscurity after leaving NE. Law lasted 1 year with the Jets before his decent. No way was Law the same shutdown CB that he was in NE. Jimmy was injured or benched for just about 50% of his 49ers career. Out of 91 potential games Jimmy appeared in 46.

He made it to a Super Bowl after throwing for 77 yards connecting on 8 throws, no TDs and a sack. NFC Championship - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers - January 19th, 2020 | Pro-Football-Reference.com This is success? A Game Manager that uses Matrix shampoo? Jimmy was along for the ride in SF and now its over.

Brady and Gronk are different. Both shot their way out of town.

Please stop the nonsense...

This gives me hope more than just reading physical attributes or watching highlights, both of which are pretty exciting. If he's got the mental part down, then I think we're in for a treat.

What are Harry's hand size? Just asking for a friend... Watch TT's tape where his QB was often inaccurate and he had to make difficult "hands" catches. He snatches the ball out of the air. This guy is going to be good.

Important to remember that drafting Thornton was as much about 2023 as it is about 2022. We all hope he comes in and contributes right away, but next year the only WR's under contract who have any NFL pedigree are Parker and Bourne. We could re-sign Meyers, but we'd still need bodies at WR, and Thornton should (if he's legit) be hitting his stride in year 2.
Agree totally. Expect him to contribute in some ways this year, but I see him being the Agholor replacement in 2023.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back