PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

I’m pretty familiar with him as he was committed to Florida at one point. Gives them their burner on the outside. At 4.29 speed, he will take the top off the defense and he has shown route separation and the ability to win 50-50 balls throughout his time at Baylor. He also played in the most competitive district in one of the most competitive states for the sport. So he’s used to going up against other dudes who are athletically gifted. We badly needed another burner to let Meyers and the TE’s do their thing.

Downsides are his frame, a limited route tree, and he struggled to get off the press consistently. His frame is nearly maxed out and there isn’t a whole lot of room to add bulk. He’ll need to be in motion a lot early on to try and get a free release. His route tree will likely be limited to the 7, 8, and 9 routes. Possibly 6 if he can cut with consistency and clean up that route.

I’d rather have had Pickens there. He’s not as lightning-fast as Thornton, but he’s a better blocker, has a more developed route tree, and has a nasty streak. Maybe the Patriots are trying to move away from drafting players with recent injuries, which was the case with Pickens. Not sure. But I think he will be a fan favorite in Pittsburgh.
They stayed away from Dean as well. I wonder if for the same reason.

They stayed away from Dean as well. I wonder if for the same reason.
I liked Dean at the bottom of round 1, but didn’t know about that laundry list of injuries. Hard to see how he will be expected to contribute in his rookie season.

I liked Dean at the bottom of round 1, but didn’t know about that laundry list of injuries. Hard to see how he will be expected to contribute in his rookie season.
Not to mention how his body will hold up long term at the next level.

Not to mention how his body will hold up long term at the next level.
It’s honestly crazy that he has that many injuries. For one, Davis ate up double teams in front of him allowing him to roam sideline-to-sideline. For another, he played through it the entire season in 2021. But yeah, if he’s this beat up coming out of college, it’s hard to see how he lasts in the pros.

It’s honestly crazy that he has that many injuries. For one, Davis ate up double teams in front of him allowing him to roam sideline-to-sideline. For another, he played through it the entire season in 2021. But yeah, if he’s this beat up coming out of college, it’s hard to see how he lasts in the pros.
tumblr_m5ol2lMMvy1qc3sgso2_500.gifv

same as bethel Johnson, Tony Simmons...
Tyquan Thornton is the fastest player the Pats have ever drafted. He’s also 6’2” and change. He’s basically a faster Robby Anderson. Excellent hands (3 drops), good jumping ability (36.5 vertical). Stop being a **** for one second, you don’t have to be negative all the time. There is A LOT to like about this pick. Adds ELITE speed, it’s exactly what this offense needed.

The 2019 draft featured a reach for Harry in the first over the higher "expert"-rated players Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, etc. JoeJuan Williams in the second, who has made the team. An active third with three players, Winovich, Harris, and Cajuste. Their best pick was punter Jake Bailey in the fifth.

Sure, Belichick has access to much more data than fans who read reviews from the experts. But generally those reaches just haven't worked. And now we are seeing a lot more reaches.

I keep seeing this narrative about Harry but it’s not accurate.

Scouts Inc. had Harry rated as the thirty-third best player and second best WR. Behind Hollywood Brown. Ahead of Deebo, Metcalf, etc.

Mel Kiper had Harry as 36th best overall and second best WR. Again, only behind Hollywood.

Harry was a bad pick, but that is being a Monday morning QB. Belichick goes with the consensus he gets criticized. He goes against the grain. He gets criticized.

My biggest concern on Thorton is his glacially SLOW 3 cone time. 7.2 is slower than our QB. its slower than a 350lb NT. So add the micromini hands, the rail thin physic, the injuries, and the fact he was a day 3 pick on many board AND we felt we had the need to trade UP to get him and I'm not worried a bit about this pick. :rolleyes:

Tyquan Thornton is the fastest player the Pats have ever drafted. He’s also 6’2” and change. He’s basically a faster Robby Anderson. Excellent hands (3 drops), good jumping ability (36.5 vertical). Stop being a **** for one second, you don’t have to be negative all the time. There is A LOT to like about this pick. Adds ELITE speed, it’s exactly what this offense needed.
Tony Simmons was a fair amount faster, but your point still stands.

1651332953380.png

I’m pretty familiar with him as he was committed to Florida at one point. Gives them their burner on the outside. At 4.29 speed, he will take the top off the defense and he has shown route separation and the ability to win 50-50 balls throughout his time at Baylor. He also played in the most competitive district in one of the most competitive states for the sport. So he’s used to going up against other dudes who are athletically gifted. We badly needed another burner to let Meyers and the TE’s do their thing.

Downsides are his frame, a limited route tree, and he struggled to get off the press consistently. His frame is nearly maxed out and there isn’t a whole lot of room to add bulk. He’ll need to be in motion a lot early on to try and get a free release. His route tree will likely be limited to the 7, 8, and 9 routes. Possibly 6 if he can cut with consistency and clean up that route.

I’d rather have had Pickens there. He’s not as lightning-fast as Thornton, but he’s a better blocker, has a more developed route tree, and has a nasty streak. Maybe the Patriots are trying to move away from drafting players with recent injuries, which was the case with Pickens. Not sure. But I think he will be a fan favorite in Pittsburgh.

"Pickens lacks urgency when he's not the 1st or 2nd option in the play. Despite looking the part, he doesn't show the desire to block for his teammates. His lack of focus allows defenders to direct their attention elsewhere. His competitive fire suggests this can be coached out of him. Has some level of maturity concerns with prior on-field altercations. Tore his ACL before his JR year. If you're comfortable with the knee + football character, he's absolutely worth an early day-two selection."

There's also noise about game suspensions, fights with teammates (threw a teammate against a wall), and a "waterbottle/urine incident (??)".
Supposedly does not interview well.
First round talent.
I did some looking because my friend is a Steelers fan. He's their kinda guy.

My biggest concern on Thorton is his glacially SLOW 3 cone time. 7.2 is slower than our QB. its slower than a 350lb NT. So add the micromini hands, the rail thin physic, the injuries, and the fact he was a day 3 pick on many board AND we felt we had the need to trade UP to get him and I'm not worried a bit about this pick. :rolleyes:
What injury history?

I hear you, but consider DK Metcalf's slow times in shuttle or whatever the hell he had that was worse than Tom Brady's times and how he was far from a layup pick that is presented now. In no way is this kid DK Metcalf, but he's got world class speed, and that always comes off the board earlier than the talking heads talk about. He is skinny, to be sure. That's a concern. I don't care about the small hands. Someone else posted that his hands at bigger than Tyreek Hill's. Would we rather have a 6'4" Moss clone with baseball glove hands? Sure. I think he will be fine. He won't a HoF'er, but he will be a serviceable wideout for the Pats.

Here's a funny stat about the Patriots selecting WRs.

If we hit on Thornton, then we will be 2/5 on receivers picked on days 1 & 2 in the last decade (heck, you can make that the last 12 years). 40% success rate. Which is better than the league average.

If he busts, we will be by far the worst in the NFL.
Yes -- which should tell you that these results are statistical noise because of the tiny numbers involved.

My favorite is the oft expressed superstition that BB can't draft 2nd round CB's (pre-Dugger all DB's) yet somehow BB is adept at picking UDFA CB's. Most folks are so bad at statistics intuitively that they fall for obvious nonsense like this which is numerology rather than statistics.

Then the meme generation social apparatus kicks in and superstition becomes a self sustaining consensual hallucination.

Yes -- which should tell you that these results are statistical noise because of the tiny numbers involved.

My favorite is the oft expressed superstition that BB can't draft 2nd round CB's (pre-Dugger all DB's) yet somehow BB is adept at picking UDFA CB's. Most folks are so bad at statistics intuitively that they fall for obvious nonsense like this which is numerology rather than statistics.

Then the meme generation social apparatus kicks in and superstition becomes a self sustaining consensual hallucination.
This. Some people still want to stick with the simple narrative because it is easier. If JC Jackson was taken where Dawson was drafted would people talk bad about the pick now? If Jonathan Jones was taken with the Cyrus Jones pick, would people complain? Cleary in both of those years they were able to properly able to scout, evaluate and then develop corners.

I sit shaking my head
Team after team pass on these players that they want. Reason being is they have spent hours on top of hours researching, interviewing, having them in for visits. They all know what intangibles that they need to fit their system and team chemistry
Just because Mel Kiper or some other hack draft guru has some other player higher because they watched 2 hours of film on them. Then all those teams must be wrong
As I suggested in another post, the idea of a consensus draft board is a useful construct for draftniks and the media, but is pretty meaningless for teams because of their unique knowledge of their systems, circumstance, and real time signal intelligence. But sadly, many GM's are so at risk that they are afraid to make the picks they know are best if they deviate from the media/draftnik consensus. BB is not running scared so he is free to be contemptuous of the so called consensus board.

Pats had two trades w/ Chiefs:

1st round:
Chiefs - Trent McDuffie, CB (88.4)
Pats - Cole Strange, G (84.3)

2nd round:
Pats - Tyquan Thornton, WR (75.1)
Chiefs - Skyy Moore, WR (85.1)

Downsides are his frame, a limited route tree, and he struggled to get off the press consistently.

IIRC in his presser, Groh said that Thornton could beat press coverage. If so, then this draft is shaping up to be pretty darn good.

A lot depends on today and the FA period. I have the feeling that the Patriots have some pleasant surprises for us today....

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back