PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots re-sign Trent Brown

Glad to have him back.

Different topic but linked...

While $10m for a starting LT is reasonable, I don't think Wynn's play last year was consistent enough to warrant the cap space.

I still think it's possible he gets moved, they save cap space (might need to eat some) and Brown gets moved to LT
I didn't know folks were so high on Herron and Cajuste.

Wynn is so damn bad at LT. Just draft one high and kick Wynn inside if you have to keep him. Sometimes the obvious answer is obvious.
I guess it is obvious to some to draft a starting LT at 21 and move a weak LG to LG. That way you get to weaken THREE positions at once: LG. LT and CB (where the draft pick would have gone.

We instead should figure out what to do at Left Tackle... And Onwenu is our starter at RG, or possibly RT if Trent Brown wins the LT job and Wynn/Lose moves inside to LG where he belongs anyway.
Wynn is a worse LG than Onwenu.
Onwenu is a worse RT than Herron (who beat him out last year).

Onwenu is a worse RT than Herron (who beat him out last year).

I don't think this is an accurate characterization of what happened last year. They started out with Wynn-Onwenu-Andrews-Mason-Brown. Brown got hurt after ONE play, and I think they were reluctant to shuffle the offensive line around completely in the middle of the game (as in, move Onwenu back to RT where he hadn't practiced at all in 2021). Then they didn't put Brown on IR right way, which tells me they thought his injury was going to be a short term thing, again making them reluctant to shuffle the OL only to have to shuffle it back again. By the time Brown went on IR, there were other injuries to consider, but they finally DID put Onwenu at RT for a few games.

By the time Brown came back, Karras has stabilized the LG position, and they wanted continuity the rest of the way. So it was really BROWN who beat out Onwenu for RT, not Herron (or Durant, who also took some of those temporary reps before Brown went on IR).

Our Left side is a ****ing disaster, and the "depth" we have behind the top 4 is not one molecule more useful than Hazardous Waste... At best, Herron's an easily replaceable candidate for backup LG/LT... Dude is Not, repeat NOT a Right-side lineman... Cachoo is an easily replaceable candidate for backup to the Swing Tackle (NOT the Swing Tackle itself!)... and neither Yesir C'mon in Durant, Arlington Street Station Hambone nor Thanksdad Ferentz are even NFL players, on Any ****ing Level.

Otherwise we're in terrific shape.
Finally some straight talk. I was getting sick of all the sunshine and roses. :)

when Brown is engaged and not lazy he's an upper echelon LT. good move

I don't think this is an accurate characterization of what happened last year. They started out with Wynn-Onwenu-Andrews-Mason-Brown. Brown got hurt after ONE play, and I think they were reluctant to shuffle the offensive line around completely in the middle of the game (as in, move Onwenu back to RT where he hadn't practiced at all in 2021). Then they didn't put Brown on IR right way, which tells me they thought his injury was going to be a short term thing, again making them reluctant to shuffle the OL only to have to shuffle it back again. By the time Brown went on IR, there were other injuries to consider, but they finally DID put Onwenu at RT for a few games.

By the time Brown came back, Karras has stabilized the LG position, and they wanted continuity the rest of the way. So it was really BROWN who beat out Onwenu for RT, not Herron (or Durant, who also took some of those temporary reps before Brown went on IR).
I never know what PFF is watching but I did rewatch a few games to see Onwenu (I'm crazy like that) and he was having a really tough time over there. I don't know why. It was not a speed issue. He was doing alright with speed rushes. But he was getting punched back and knocked off balance at RT.

I never know what PFF is watching but I did rewatch a few games to see Onwenu (I'm crazy like that) and he was having a really tough time over there. I don't know why. It was not a speed issue. He was doing alright with speed rushes. But he was getting punched back and knocked off balance at RT.

To be honest, I think a lot of people underestimate how many reps these guys need at specific positions in order to play effectively. Sure, some guys can just step in and play wherever. You know, "Give me 5 half-speed reps pre-game and I'm good" kind of guys, but they're rare. Onwenu basically repped exclusively at LG all camp and pre-season. It was probably a full time job for Bricillo and McDaniels to get him up to any kind of game speed at RT at all. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was so good there his rookie year. If he reps all camp at RG and is able to stay there through the season, I think he'll be fine.

I think this is pretty accurate. I also may be one of the few people on here that thinks Wynn is a fine (read: average) LT and I’d be fine extending him on an average $$ contract. Injuries aside, I feel like Wynn played a lot better after Karras took over at LG. He played similar to when Thuney was there, which, to me (and I’m not saying I know) feels like either he and Onwenu weren’t seeing the same thing… or… *gasp*… Mac had trouble calling protections for the first half of the year. We’ve seen Wynn whiff on some big plays and seen him pancake a few folks- I feel like that’s an avg LT. If we want to spend some draft capital or $$$, we can do better, but I think his $10M salary this year is only a slight overpay for the level of play. Now if we bring injuries back into the equation……

Another reminder that several of the players we're talking about went out at some point with Covid during 2021 (Onwenu, Wynn, Cajuste & Durant) & Herron was limited at points due to an abdominal injury so these players' 2021 playing level may have been affected. Time will tell.

On a slightly off topic, does anyone know what Mac is doing this off-season. Is he working out with Tom House / gym?

On a slightly off topic, does anyone know what Mac is doing this off-season. Is he working out with Tom House / gym?

He's working with House for sure (there were some public posts about it somewhere, but I forget where). Other than that I don't think we've heard anything, but I imagine he's waist deep in the Patriots conditioning program as well.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back