PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Re-sign Deatrich Wise

it depends whether the non-guaranteed money is straight-up or how much is in the form of incentives. Also we're talking about a situational guy and a player who plays a position that puts a lot of strain on the body.

I'd say it's a moderate risk and potential overpay but nothing earth shattering.
“Can be worth up to” means it’s heavy in incentives

Waste. Of. Money.

Should've re-signed Butler (or better) for the 3rd-down DT role.

Sad to say, but it looks as if Billy's trying to return to the First Dynasty 3-4...but without its most important piece...

What we have seen from Wise is that he can be an effective part of a rotation in certain roles, but he lacks the versatility we have come to expect as a patriots IL. He has value to the team as a situational interior rusher, but has been a disappointment setting the edge as an end in the 3 - 4.

With the additions of Godchaux, Anderson and Judon the defense looks positioned to continue in a 3 - 4 alignment. If roster conditions force Wise to be a starter in these looks, he will likely disappoint again. If the team is able to bring back Guy, or Allen returns and rises to the occasion, then Wise can effectively play Butler's role as a pass rushing interior lineman in nickel and dime looks.

My guess is that carrying Wise and Butler has proven itself a roster redundancy, and that the team has settled on Wise as a lower cost option.

What we have seen from Wise is that he can be an effective part of a rotation in certain roles, but he lacks the versatility we have come to expect as a patriots IL. He has value to the team as a situational interior rusher, but has been a disappointment setting the edge as an end in the 3 - 4.

With the additions of Godchaux, Anderson and Judon the defense looks positioned to continue in a 3 - 4 alignment. If roster conditions force Wise to be a starter in these looks, he will likely disappoint again. If the team is able to bring back Guy, or Allen returns and rises to the occasion, then Wise can effectively play Butler's role as a pass rushing interior lineman in nickel and dime looks.

My guess is that carrying Wise and Butler has proven itself a roster redundancy, and that the team has settled on Wise as a lower cost option.

I'd rather have had Butler for $9m for 2 years than Wise for $30m with incentives for 4 years with $10m guaranteed.

Last edited:
I'd rather have had Butler for $9m for 2 years than Wise for $30m with incentives for 40 years with $10m guaranteed.

Well perhaps the greatest defensive mind in the history of the NFL, who has forgotten more about the two players than any of us will ever know about them, because he has watched countless hours of film, not to mention hundreds of hours of practice time, and who knows exactly what type of defense the Pats plan to run next year, decided to keep Wise and let Butler walk. Ima gonna go with Bill on this one.

Well perhaps the greatest defensive mind in the history of the NFL, who has forgotten more about the two players than any of us will ever know about them, because he has watched countless hours of film, not to mention hundreds of hours of practice time, and who knows exactly what type of defense the Pats plan to run next year, decided to keep Wise and let Butler walk. Ima gonna go with Bill on this one.

Might be the "greatest defensive mind in the history of the NFL" but doesn't mean he knows what he's doing as GM. He's made plenty of mistakes in that department. Our drafts have been awful, and FA moves over last few years have sucked.

I'd rather have had Butler for $9m for 2 years than Wise for $30m with incentives for 40 years with $10m guaranteed.
40 years of incentives? is he marrying into the Belichick family?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back