PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Predicted to Sign Former Pro Bowl Quarterback to Replace Tom Brady discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather give Brady $30M than Bridgewater $15M

Whatever the final outcome, I will be SOOOO relieved when the rumor-mill/nonsense phase of this matter is over and done with :rolleyes:

If there was an emoticon to say agree wholeheartedly this is the post for it. So tired of all these articles that proclaim that they have an inside source, or 'very reliable' etc. Just wish we would find out soon what was going to happen !

Giving Bridgewater a shot is the same cost as signing Brady. So no I wouldn't be fine with that.

How much you think Bridgewater goes for? I’d be surprised if it’s much higher than 3/36.

Like I said, this is obviously only if Brady leaves. I seem to be one of the few people here who’s saying “give Brady whatever he wants”. But if Brady walks, then we’re not gonna do much better than Bridgewater on the FA market. I doubt they end up signing for the same amount.

I'd take bridgewater over most other QBs who have failed at being a young starter on a bad to average team at least once in their career in this league

How much you think Bridgewater goes for? I’d be surprised if it’s much higher than 3/36.

Like I said, this is obviously only if Brady leaves. I seem to be one of the few people here who’s saying “give Brady whatever he wants”. But if Brady walks, then we’re not gonna do much better than Bridgewater on the FA market. I doubt they end up signing for the same amount.

A $12m average per year for a veteran starter would be by far the lowest in the league (currently a big gap from $16m with Dalton, who's expiring, to $8m for 1st round rookie comtracts like Murray or Mayfield and highly paid backups like Keenum). Always funny to watch this board pull contract numbers out of a hat.

Most likely, Bridgewater's going to get something around the $22m per year the Jaguars paid Foles last season. While you can manipulate salary for the cap hit, adding him to the accelerated Brady dead money you'd be talking $25m+ tied up in the cap next year for a QB.

Simply put, other than rolling with Stidham and some cheap veteran backup like McCoy or McCarron or Glennon or whatever, you should assume Brady or any starting-caliber veteran replacement (Bridgewater, Newton, Winston, Tannehill, Rivers) will cost between $25 and $30m against the cap next season, once you factor in Brady's dead money hit.

That said... if you think Bridgewater is the answer and he indeed is the answer, then $22m will suddenly look mighty good two, three, four years down the line (especially since the Brady dead money disappears after 2020 in this scenario. I think bringing back Brady is preferable, all things being equal, but maybe that's a gamble you take if you really like a guy.

Last edited:
A $12m average per year for a veteran starter would be by far the lowest in the league (currently a big gap from $16m with Dalton, who's expiring, to $8m for 1st round rookie comtracts like Murray or Mayfield and highly paid backups like Keenum). Always funny to watch this board pull contract numbers out of a hat.

Most likely, Bridgewater's going to get something around the $22m per year the Jaguars paid Foles last season.

That said... if you think Bridgewater is the answer, then $22m will suddenly look mighty good three years down the line.

Just for the sake of the numbers (which would almost certainly be fiddled with, by using incentives or extra years or whatever they can think of):

If Bridgewater took a straight $22m, it'd end up as $35.5m against the cap for the starting QB, because of the $13.5 dead money that would come from the Brady deal voiding. Using that, the team could pay Brady $28.75m straight, and the cap layout would be the same as the $22m Bridgewater deal, as long as the Brady deal was done before the magic day. So, in effect, the people who've been crying about Brady at $30m would have been crying over $1.25m.

"Veeeeery agggresssiiive." - Teddy KGBridgewater

Regards,
Chris

The pats can't draft and develop WRs. But they can develop QBs. They will get the best out of anybody they bring in.

This is fine information to put into another thread, headlined as "a couple of minor league writers are suggesting one TB for another...discuss"

But as its own thread, with a high drama headline? Shameful.

I like Bridgewater, but doesn't 45 year old Robert Edwards have healthier knees than him?

If the Saints aren’t looking to re-up Bridgewater, you can be darn sure the Patriots aren’t touching him either. BB and SP are tight. Saints are, if reports are legit, going with Brees and Taysom Hill, and just Hill when Brees retires. Hill has like 10 career passing attempts. That is damning considering Bridgewater’s age, experience, and 5-0 record last year.

Most likely, Bridgewater's going to get something around the $22m per year the Jaguars paid Foles last season. While you can manipulate salary for the cap hit, adding him to the accelerated Brady dead money you'd be talking $25m+ tied up in the cap next year for a QB.

Simply put, other than rolling with Stidham and some cheap veteran backup like McCoy or McCarron or Glennon or whatever, you should assume Brady or any starting-caliber veteran replacement (Bridgewater, Newton, Winston, Tannehill, Rivers) will cost between $25 and $30m against the cap next season, once you factor in Brady's dead money hit.

That said... if you think Bridgewater is the answer and he indeed is the answer, then $22m will suddenly look mighty good two, three, four years down the line (especially since the Brady dead money disappears after 2020 in this scenario. I think bringing back Brady is preferable, all things being equal, but maybe that's a gamble you take if you really like a guy.

Fair enough, I might be wildly off with my Bridgewater guess, but I’d be PISSED if we sign him for 3 years averaging 22m and let Brady walk because he wanted 30.

Bridgewater is a good young QB. I agree but so does the rest of the league. He's going to get a minimum of 20 per year. That's 33 million with Brady's dead cap included.

Brady is light years better for this team for the next few seasons. And even with the possible 13 million savings in the following year it's still not enough to compensate for the difference between the talent drop off we'd see at the QB position.

If the Pats want to move on from Brady then Stidham or another rookie is the way to go.

Sometimes I think Brady has made winning Super Bowls look far too easy. It's not and not everyone can do it.

Fair enough, I might be wildly off with my Bridgewater guess, but I’d be PISSED if we sign him for 3 years averaging 22m and let Brady walk because he wanted 30.
I’ll be pissed if they let Brady walk too, but the team could end up feeling apprehensive about signing him to the same length of deal that other teams might gamble on. That’s probably my bigger concern versus worrying about what the AAV might be.

I’ll be pissed if they let Brady walk too, but the team could end up feeling apprehensive about signing him to the same length of deal that other teams might gamble on. That’s probably my bigger concern versus worrying about what the AAV might be.

All you have to ask yourself is if you want to win next season or not. If not then it's going with a rookie QB. If yes it's Brady. All the bridge QB talk is nonsense.

Obviously, the number of years can be misleading. For example, a $50M option bonus due before the 2021 season begins makes any contract a one year contract, even if it is listed as 5 years.

I would expect that Brady would get $40M of guaranteed money from other teams, with him getting at least $30M if he retires at the end of the 2020 season.

Obviously, the number of years can be misleading. For example, a $50M option bonus due before the 2021 season begins makes any contract a one year contract, even if it is listed as 5 years.
I’m talking about “real” years, which I think NE will have to go with two to compete with other suitors. I don’t believe that they’d go three *real* years, but that’s just my opinion.

All you have to ask yourself is if you want to win next season or not. If not then it's going with a rookie QB. If yes it's Brady. All the bridge QB talk is nonsense.
I don’t necessarily mind the idea of a bridge QB to compete with Stidham, but it would have to come at a much more reasonable cost than what Bridgewater is likely going to command. So, if they sign a bridge QB in the say, 14m dollar range (unlikely in my opinion) that makes a big difference for me. As others have mentioned, Bridgewater should be a full 50% higher, at a minimum.

Any way you look at it, keeping Brady makes the most sense.

Sometimes I think Brady has made winning Super Bowls look far too easy. It's not and not everyone can do it.

That’s one explanation for the absolutely insane stupidity oozing out of these threads. You’d think like 75% of the fans here became Patriots fans in 2019 by their incredible dismissiveness of an athlete whose caliber they’ll never, ever have again on their home team, and maybe 2-3 more times across all US sports.

It’s amazing how many people are outright angry/entitled people are, but even more amazing how they think they’re entitled to championships every year, and they act like big tough guys online, as if they’re the Patriots front office kicking a player to the curb so they can continue with the dynasty. And the arrogance to think the train just keeps right on rolling, like these Max Kellerman “system” morons weren’t outed in 2004.

Well here’s something to consider. The 2008 Patriots are hailed for going 11-5 without Brady. That team played one of the easiest schedules imaginable and they still got curb stomped, 30-10, at San Diego (Brady is like 8-0 vs Rivers) and were annihilated 33-10 at home to Pittsburgh (Brady has never come close to losing at home to Pittsburgh.). Prior to the season, the consensus was they’d win 14 games minimum. They got ***** slapped by B+ quarterbacks in Rivers and Roethlisberger. That’s the difference between the dynasty Patriots and just another pretty good playoff contender...it’s the difference between the Alex Smith Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes Chiefs, too. One team is good. The other team is championship level.

To think you can just plug in anyone and get championship level success.

Let’s be real here. Belichick is an all-time great coach. Great coaches without the talent (and in the modern NFL, the QB) cannot win championships on schemes alone. The Patriots are teetering on the brink of their dynasty...I don’t know if this team can realistically contend. Why? Because no team can escape the problems caused by 3+ consecutive years of low draft returns. It’s impossible. And I’m guessing Brady’s concerns revolve around the aging roster, lack of young talent, and relative lack of cap space to fill a lot of holes on offense.

We should be practically begging Brady to return to the Patriots. If he leaves, it’s going to embarrassing with all these horrible “fans” pounding their chests about how now it’s time for DYNASTY 3.0 and Tom was holding us all back. It’s like they’re too oblivious to understand that Brady was the main reason for every championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down