PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots practice Monday 9/4/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
Are you saying there is a rule that a team must have QB2? That is not how I read it. My QB2 will be elevated to 53 roster on game week. Just as we are about to do with Reiff on IR or maybe not.
They use a lot of words to basically say no QB can elevated from ps on gameday--unless you're willing to forego the emergency 3rd QB roster exception, in which case you can do as you wish.

Last edited:
There's a bit of a roster crunch coming up for this next game.

Can only elevate two players, but they kind of need three - a QB, a RB and likely a TE. One solution would be to IR Reiff before the game - he's the only member of the 53 not practicing, so probably not much use for the next two games at least. If they don't want to do that as he's close to being back, then have to go with only two TEs.
Well, you wound up nailing it.

Are you saying there is a rule that a team must have QB2? That is not how I read it. My QB2 will be elevated to 53 roster on game week. They went out of their way to specify 3rd QB can not be elevated PS player. But did they say that about the QB2? I think this is where BB's interpretation of the rules comes in handy lol.
If the team wants to have the Emergency QB3 option, they must follow those rules, which state that QB1 and QB2 must be on the 53 man roster and game-day active, and Emergency QB3 must be on the 53 man roster and a game day inactive. If the Patriots don’t want to designate an Emergency QB3, then the old rules apply - meaning a QB2, QB3, QB4, etc. can be either on the 53 or a PS game day elevation, and must be game day active if they want to be allowed to participate in that day’s game. Just like in the past.

The point is that in the past, some teams would have 2 QBs active on game day instead of 3 to save one of those game day roster spots. Teams that choose to do that now (meaning only having 2 QBs active ok the game day roster) are given the option to have an emergency inactive QB3 but only if they follow the specified rules. Teams can still just choose to have all 3 QBs active game day active as in the past, but it seems silly when you can have a freebie inactive QB3 instead. But the Patriots current QB setup won’t allow that since the new rule requires all 3 QBs to be on the 53 for it to be an option.

Last edited:
Any idea who projects to be the starting RT for week 1?

Well I nailed 2 of these roster moves a few days ago. (self adulation is the only you'll get around here)
I think bringing up Brown is the TE move that makes sense. I be he sticks the rest of the season.
And we all knew at least 1 OL had to go to IR. Reiff seemed like one of the obvious choices (along with Anderson).

I also predicted either Anderson, Lowe or Wheatley to move off the 53 by game day - just too many new/recovering Tackles to make sense.
We'll see. But making room for a 3rd RB is coming this week.
Could be Roberts or Wade.

If the team wants to have the Emergency QB3 option, they must follow those rules, which state that QB1 and QB2 must be on the 53 man roster and game-day active, and Emergency QB3 must be on the 53 man roster and a game day inactive. If the Patriots don’t want to designate an Emergency QB3, then the old rules apply - meaning a QB2, QB3, QB4, etc. can be either on the 53 or a PS game day elevation, and must be game day active if they want to be allowed to participate in that day’s game. Just like in the past.

The point is that in the past, some teams would have 2 QBs active on game day instead of 3 to save one of those game day roster spots. Teams that choose to do that now (meaning only having 2 QBs active ok the game day roster) are given the option to have an emergency inactive QB3 but only if they follow the specified rules. Teams can still just choose to have all 3 QBs active game day active as in the past, but it seems silly when you can have a freebie inactive QB3 instead. But the Patriots current QB setup won’t allow that since the new rule requires all 3 QBs to be on the 53 for it to be an option.
I posted in the other thread - this change just means Zappe will still get elevated from the PS like he would’ve been, but will now need to take a game-day active spot. They’ll do that for 2 weeks and then evaluate if Corral is good to go and whether they feel the need to put Zappe on the 53 from week 3 onward to use the emergency QB rule.

Any idea who projects to be the starting RT for week 1?
Nope. It could be Anderson, Onwenu, Sow, Wheatley, or Lowe.

Ideally, Anderson is ready to go very quickly after being activated off NFI. If he’s not ready, then the best five is probably Mafi at RG and Onwenu at RT. But there’s a non-zero chance that Strange will be out (putting Mafi at LG) or Onwenu will be out (Mafi at RG but not Onwenu at RT). Then it depends on how quickly Wheatley or Lowe will be ready to go and if they’re an immediate upgrade over Sow.

Or Strange, Onwenu, and Anderson are all out and Wheatley and Lowe aren’t ready yet, and we get Brown-Russey?-Andrews-Mafi-Sow.

Don't know if Lazar got a peak at practice or not ...

I don’t know if Anderson sees much time in his first week of any kind of action all year. Same for Onwenu but to a lesser extent. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sow started at RT and got most of the snaps, and Mafi also rotated in a bit.

I don’t know if Anderson sees much time in his first week of any kind of action all year. Same for Onwenu but to a lesser extent. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sow started at RT and got most of the snaps, and Mafi also rotated in a bit.
I read an article (I cannot remember the source) about an interview with Calvin Anderson.

He stated that although he is obligated to not reveal much about his very serious illness, the coaching staff was able to help him maintain his fitness level.

I realize that sounds contradictory but if if is true, that's very good.

They've got to elevate Zappe. I can't imagine they'd be comfortable having Corral in there as QB2 yet.

No, but they might not be much more comfortable with Zappe either.

I'd think if they were going to elevate Zappe, it would be to the 53, so they could at least take advantage of the rule.

They could have waited to bring up a tight end until game day. He wasn't going anywhere.

No, but they might not be much more comfortable with Zappe either.

I'd think if they were going to elevate Zappe, it would be to the 53, so they could at least take advantage of the rule.

They could have waited to bring up a tight end until game day. He wasn't going anywhere.
Since Belichick hates giving any information to his opponents, he either has a very good reason or it's disinformation.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back