PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots place Ghost on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Mike Vanderjagt better than Vinatieri with a better fg% ? No he wasn't

Was Peyton Manning better than Brady despite some volume passing stats ? No he wasn't

Ghost doesn't get calls for huge 45 yard fg's and has been shaky in past playoff games.

Gost is 39 of 44 in playoff FGAs, which is 89%, and is actually higher than his regular season percentage. Calling that shaky is nonsensical.

If this is the end of the road for Gost, is he a Pats hall of famer? I tend to think the field will be too much to get him in. Hell we haven’t even seen Deion Branch make the ballot yet.

If this is the end of the road for Gost, is he a Pats hall of famer? I tend to think the field will be too much to get him in. Hell we haven’t even seen Deion Branch make the ballot yet.

Ghost is the best kicker NE ever had. He deserves to be in.

I can’t put him above Adam, no disrespect, but there’s a difference between deserving and making it. A regular franchise he makes it no doubt, but we have soooooo many great players.

Wes and Mankins may not even make it in favor of guys that won championships.

Ghost only misses when my wife is watching, which explains a few postseason misses. She says “I hate that guy...he never makes one!” and I just scratch my head. Of course, she knows little about football and watches a tiny sample size.

I don’t know what kind of excuse a lot of die-hard forum members have for their selective confirmation bias.

Except that this is not true. Lombardi who was still employed by the Pats at that point has debunked this story so many times.
How did he "debunk" it? You could actually SEE it, without Lombardi's spin attempt.

The only ones who could "debunk" such a thing are Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware.

2019 version of "Ice up son"
"Steve, just wrap a kielbasa around that and go out there and kick it!"

How did he "debunk" it? You could actually SEE it, without Lombardi's spin attempt.

The only ones who could "debunk" such a thing are Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware.

IIRC, Lombardi explained that the problem wasn't due to something with Stork, it was that the offense was in such shambles that they had to keep the snap count the same for the entire game. Centers often look back before snapping (creating a head bob) so doing that wouldn't be a problem if the timing was varied. In this instance it wasn't.

Mike Nugent is the new kicker.

His FG history from 50+?

13 for 30

His FG history from 50% beginning in 2016?

2 for 5

His XP history beginning in 2016?

42 for 51

Gost is 39 of 44 in playoff FGAs, which is 89%, and is actually higher than his regular season percentage. Calling that shaky is nonsensical.

Pats repeatedly defer on Ghost trying kicks over 43 yards. Ghost kicks a ton of <40 yard fg's. This is indisputable. Even the last superbowl Brady had to talk Belichick into kicking a fg. Ghost is Mike Vanderjadt. They only use him when it's an easy kick. Having said that he's been elite at <40 yarders in his career.

Last edited:
Pats repeatedly defer on Ghost trying kicks over 42 yards.

Even a cursory look at his stats will tell you this wrong. About a 3rd of his career kicks are from over 40, and 37.5% are over 40 in the last three full seasons (plus the first four weeks of this one). They're not deferring anything.

Even a cursory look at his stats will tell you this wrong. About a 3rd of his career kicks are from over 40, and 37.5% are over 40 in the last three full seasons (plus the first four weeks of this one). They're not deferring anything.
Don't go trying to bamboozle us with facts! Who do you think you are??

He'll have a better shot of getting in the NFL HOF than the Pats.

Pats repeatedly defer on Ghost trying kicks over 43 yards. Ghost kicks a ton of <40 yard fg's. This is indisputable. Even the last superbowl Brady had to talk Belichick into kicking a fg. Ghost is Mike Vanderjadt. They only use him when it's an easy kick. Having said that he's been elite at <40 yarders in his career.

Your claim was that he has been a shaky postseason kicker. Your claim was shown to be nonsense. Now you're just moving the goalposts.

And, for the record, during this last SB run, 2014-today, Gost has kicked 9 FGs of 40+ yards in the playoffs, including 3 last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GostSt20/field-goals/#all_scores_playoffs

No matter how often you post nonsense, it's still going to be nonsense.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that if AV’s performance and stats were superior to Gost’s that is the first thing these Posters (who seem to have something against Gost) would point to

Since they don’t have that they resort to mental gymnastics to make AV a better kicker than Gost...which he was not. AV was NOT better...NOT more clutch no matter how you spin it. And I am a huge AV fan.

Sometimes the numbers are just the numbers and no matter how hard you try to spin them , they never change.

AV missed more kicks and benefited from a shorter PAT...... He also benefited from making some more high profile kicks and easily the greatest kick of all time.

Some of us can be objective though

So many quality kickers with such little differentiation.
I have my own criteria for HOF worthy kickers.....
Besides ticking the accuracy and longevity boxes, the kicker must be considered a lethal scoring weapon
For me, Justin Tucker is the only kicker in this era who satisfies my criteria
AV comes close
SG doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand