PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots place Ghost on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many quality kickers with such little differentiation.
I have my own criteria for HOF worthy kickers.....
Besides ticking the accuracy and longevity boxes, the kicker must be considered a lethal scoring weapon
For me, Justin Tucker is the only kicker in this era who satisfies my criteria
AV comes close
SG doesn’t.

SG is factually better than AV

So many quality kickers with such little differentiation.
I have my own criteria for HOF worthy kickers.....
Besides ticking the accuracy and longevity boxes, the kicker must be considered a lethal scoring weapon
For me, Justin Tucker is the only kicker in this era who satisfies my criteria
AV comes close
SG doesn’t.
Truth hurts sometimes

Career Regular Season FG%
...................EPs.......20-29 yds.....30-39 yds.....40-49 yds.....50+ yds..
Ghost.......98.3%.........97%..............91%..............77%..............71%
Tucker.....99.6%........100%.............97%..............90%.............71% ***

..................................................................Ghost............Tucker
Ave. # of 50+ yd FG attempts/yr................2.3................6.1
Seasons without making a 50+ yd FG.........3...................0

Note: Ghosts longest made FG in his 3 years with no 50+ yd FGs.....45 yds (that's what "managed" looks like)

Also, I would argue Tucker's average 50+ yd attempt distance was significantly higher than Ghost's which is the only reason both kickers share 71% accuracy from this distance.
If someone can point me to link that breaks down every kicker's kick, I'd be happy to quantify my thesis.

Conclusion: If you want to see what a HOF kicker looks like.....look no further than Tucker, the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Note to Tucker: Retire soon to preserve my wicked smahtness.

Truth hurts sometimes

...................EPs.......20-29 yds.....30-39 yds.....40-49 yds.....50+ yds..
Ghost.......98.3%.........97%..............91%..............77%..............71%
Tucker.....99.6%........100%.............97%..............90%.............71% ***

..................................................................Ghost............Tucker

Note: Ghosts longest made FG in his 3 years with no 50+ yd FGs.....45 yds (that's what "managed" looks like)

Also, I would argue Tucker's average 50+ yd attempt distance was significantly higher than Ghost's which is the only reason both kickers share 71% accuracy from this distance.
If someone can point me to link that breaks down every kicker's kick, I'd be happy to quantify my thesis.

Conclusion: If you want to see what a HOF kicker looks like.....look no further than Tucker, the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

I agree Tucker is better than Ghost, but Ghost is up there among the best kickers of the era.

SG is factually better than AV
I place AV's hero kicks into my "lethal weapon" category with his Snow Bowl kick earning the highest honor
SG's portfolio lacks in this category

My personal opinion

Then there's the eye test.
Never once in the past 15 years did I ever say....now there's an elite FG kicker.
And many times, I'd see the head coach forego FG opportunities
Great kickoff artist though

Last edited:
he didnt recover from that denver game

Truth hurts sometimes

Wow - Tucker is ridiculously good, and that’s playing in a “cold” division with no domes. I wonder what if Lee Evans holds onto the TD pass or Billy Cundiff doesn’t shank the game tying field goal in 2011/12? Do the Ravens go out and get him?

Of all the “open and shut” arguments, I don’t think there’s one more obvious than him; he has no peers and is the best player at his position by a hefty margin. Gost is a great kicker and Tucker wins across the board.

Ahhh I see the mental gymnastics are continuing. Now because Gost's stats are better than AV's across the board we need to bring Justin Tucker into the equation to try to make AV look better than Gost. The Justin Tucker who is awesome but has also not shown what he is going to do from age 30-35.

Hey! if rooting for the Ravens kicker (and Ravens lol) is what you need to do to quench your Gost hate, more power to you.

Ahhh I see the mental gymnastics are continuing. Now because Gost's stats are better than AV's across the board we need to bring Justin Tucker into the equation to try to make AV look better than Gost. The Justin Tucker who is awesome but has also not shown what he is going to do from age 30-35.

Hey! if rooting for the Ravens kicker (and Ravens lol) is what you need to do to quench your Gost hate, more power to you.
He didn’t recover from that Denver game.

Truth hurts sometimes

Here’s my criteria for who is better: Tucker recovered from the Denver game while Gost did not. Therefore, Tucker is better.

Orange crushed :rolleyes:

5906-lg.jpg

Ghost made 15 of 16 kicks in playoffs last year including a 47 yarder in cold and windy KC yet he somehow struggled? Tough job to have.

Ghost made 15 of 16 kicks in playoffs last year including a 47 yarder in cold and windy KC yet he somehow struggled? Tough job to have.

More accurately, a tough crowd to please.

Truth hurts sometimes

What are Tucker's numbers when you correctly call the miss at the end of the Patriots game in 2012? :)

all i know about SG is this:

the denver game didn't have any long term impact on him

wordsmyth, zuma, capt stone :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand