PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Malcolm Mitchell Suffers Arm Injury vs Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Dobson x Martin debate I'm taking Dobson.

I know we have been disappointed with him but I can't help but think this guy would be putting a lot of yards playing for the Steelers or Giants. This system is complex, he has had many injuries, the team staff ****ed up big time rushing him back when he broke his foot in his rookie year.

I always remember Edelman really clicked on year 5, before that he had flashes just like Dobson. I think the upside is greater than Martin to be honest, and I like Martin.

Dobson and Mitchell on the outside with Bennett and Gronk on the same package, I can see Brady putting stellar numbers. 5000+ yards if he were to play 16 games. The Goddamn O-line though seems to have improved only at the LG position.

I know we have been disappointed with him but I can't help but think this guy would be putting a lot of yards playing for the Steelers or Giants. This system is complex, he has had many injuries, the team staff ****ed up big time rushing him back when he broke his foot in his rookie year.

I always remember Edelman really clicked on year 5, before that he had flashes just like Dobson. I think the upside is greater than Martin to be honest, and I like Martin.

Dobson and Mitchell on the outside with Bennett and Gronk on the same package, I can see Brady putting stellar numbers. 5000+ yards if he were to play 16 games. The Goddamn O-line though seems to have improved only at the LG position.
Edelman was far more productive and consistent than Dobson at the same point in their respective careers. And he offered so much on ST's. And he showed toughness, which is something Dobson has not shown since being in the NFL. It's not really an apples to apples comparison here, V.

Give Scar some more time.

I think he looks like the most promising rookie WR the Pats have had since Edelman. I'm surprised by how quickly he's progressed. Four weeks is pretty good news. He'll still be back for the beginning of the season.

I agree so much with your first sentence. Just made everything look so easy, and some of those plays were difficult. So happy he won't miss the season. Poor kid has been through enough.

Prediction: He'll be participating in practice in one form or another before the 3rd preseason game.

Glad to hear his injury is not as bad as first thought. He was playing well. That was the fastest I have ever seen any player rushed to the locker room. I thought it was much worse the way they were scrambling.

The kid's ceiling is WR2 across Edelman come playoff time so great news. With Gronk/Jules/Bennett/Dion out there the WR2 will be facing a team's 3rd and 4th CB. Not out of the realm of possibility that Mitchell or Hogan could be an impact player in a big game. Seattle and Arizona's 3rd CBs are particularly poor.

I believe we have a great WR2 in Hogan. But Mitchell showed he could be unexpected treasure at outside receiver as WR3 already this year. Yesterday for a moment he sparked flashes of another “unstoppable“ formation (to add to the one w 2 TE): Lewis - Gronk/Bennett - Edelman - Hogan - Mitchell.

I hope he can come back soon with the same showing because this could be spectacular and just what so many (spoiled) Pats fans were missing lately.

-
@Dobson - not only Martin, even more he still has Washington to beat. Martin might stay regardless.

Last edited:
I remember Eifert dislocated his elbow in a game a while back..popped it back into place..but the MRI showed it also tore a muscle and IIRC he missed the entire year?

Mitchell had to have the MRI today so we would have known if it was THAT serious by now aka it isn't...hopefully

I'm sure it'd have been posted, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone seen or heard anything new?

I don't know what he can do to make the roster without one of the seeming locks getting badly injured.

Like I said Martin is the only guy he could seriously compete with but I've had the impression that the Pats really like Martin and are inclined to hold onto him.

The Pats like Martin but they also see him with eyes wide option. Martin is an okay emergency option that can play a play on occasion and be "meh" on STs but just a guy you throw in not a difference maker.

I think it is not particularly hard to beat that if Dobson shows up consistently. But i do agree 3 more performances like this last game won't do it. It was okay but he didn't really show he is clearly the better WR threat than Martin and that is exactly what he must show to make it a conversation cause "meh" STs is better than no STs.

I am Hopeful by the end of the year it will be a rotation of Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell for top WRs if all stay healthy. Amendola is a good option but he doesn't pop off the screen like i see the other 3 do.

A good 4th back up option and can do special teams. Also Brady trust him which is very important.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'd have been posted, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone seen or heard anything new?

Should have been back already. Why, in my day.....

/ol' coot

I am Hopefully by the end of the year it will be a rotation of Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell for top WRs if all stay healthy. Amendola is a good option but he doesn't pop off the screen like i see the other 3 do.

A good 4th back up option and can do special teams. Also Brady trust him which is very important.
Pop off the screen is one thing, but I'll take the guy who has a strong chemistry with Brady, knows where he's supposed to be all the time and makes crucial plays almost every time the team needs it over the two other largely unproven guys any day of the week. No disrespect to you, Digital, but I hate how Amendola is so under appreciated by so many because he isn't flashy. He gets it done. He was the MVP of the 2014 playoffs as far as I'm concerned. And as much as we applaud Brady for still having a great statistical season in 2015 while missing everyone, that would not have happened without Amendola. LaFell did squat, Chandler did squat (for understandable reasons), White came on extremely later in the season. It was Amendola and Gronk holding things down for our QB. He may not pop or put up crazy numbers, but he certainly deserves more credit for what he brings to this team.

Pop off the screen is one thing, but I'll take the guy who has a strong chemistry with Brady, knows where he's supposed to be all the time and makes crucial plays almost every time the team needs it over the two other largely unproven guys any day of the week. No disrespect to you, Digital, but I hate how Amendola is so under appreciated by so many because he isn't flashy. He gets it done. He was the MVP of the 2014 playoffs as far as I'm concerned. And as much as we applaud Brady for still having a great statistical season in 2015 while missing everyone, that would not have happened without Amendola. LaFell did squat, Chandler did squat (for understandable reasons), White came on extremely later in the season. It was Amendola and Gronk holding things down for our QB. He may not pop or put up crazy numbers, but he certainly deserves more credit for what he brings to this team.
I love DA, he is not the 10td/1500 yrds guy each and every year, hes more like the KF/troy brown, making key plays in crucial moments

I love DA, he is not the 10td/1500 yrds guy each and every year, hes more like the KF/troy brown, making key plays in crucial moments
Right. Mitchell is a rookie and only a handful of rookie receivers have ever splashed in year 1. And the knock on him was/is durability...what started this thread?

Hogan intrigues me. I can't lie about that. But he could fizzle every bit as easily as he could sizzle. We simply don't know which it'll be. And he's already missing/limited in practices.

Amendola is proven and has been the reason we've won a handful of games. I wish for great things from all our weapons, but guys on here talk about Amendola like we can just plug any ole person in his role and it'll be business as usual. I'm not saying Amendola is Gronk or Edelman, but I do challenge those people to go watch the Philadelphia game from last year or the Baltimore divisional game from 2014. All of his biggest plays in those games were when the team needed them most. Brady looks for him in those moments just as much as Gronk and Edelman. That only comes with years of chemistry building. I doubt either of the new guys will have that kind of chemistry with Brady this season. Of course I admittedly don't know that for certain, as I'd have to be a fortune teller to know. But history would tend to support the claim. Amendola had years in the system and does so many things. You said exactly what I did in another thread...he is the Kevin Faulk of the receiving group.

I want those guys to be good. I think they will be, even if it takes some time. I just think Amendola still deserves a tad bit more respect than he gets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick