PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots interested in CBs before the trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we save any cap room by cutting Rowe? Or do we have to trade him for that?

Roughly $550k (gross) either way. The "net" savings would be less because you have to deduct whatever they're paying the player who replaces him.

However, if Rowe were to be cut or traded to create a roster spot for Dawson, the savings would be somewhat more than with signing a new player, since the Pats have been paying Dawson his $480k salary all along.

But then, Rowe himself is currently injured. Reports are that he re-aggravated his perennial groin injury during the game in CHI, and he wasn't at practice today. So, he can't be cut, and it's unlikely that anyone would trade for him.

But Asante was better.

Asante was notoriously tackling-averse. Ryan was the Pats 3rd leading tackler in 2015 and leading tackler for 2016. Ryan's edge-contain and his ability to sniff-out and disrupt screens was elite.

I actually don't think that BB has had a tackling-averse CB on the roster since Asante left.

So, Asante was "better" in coverage perhaps, but not in every aspect of CB play.

Since we're not getting Peterson we're better off trading for a LB or D line.

Overall, the DL has been fine. Wrt LB, the Pats have OLB/DE John Simon, who seems to have been forgotten since he's been injured.

Asante was notoriously tackling-averse. Ryan was the Pats 3rd leading tackler in 2015 and leading tackler for 2016. Ryan's edge-contain and his ability to sniff-out and disrupt screens was elite.

I actually don't think that BB has had a tackling-averse CB on the roster since Asante left.

So, Asante was "better" in coverage perhaps, but not in every aspect of CB play.

I was a big Ryan fan before the 2013 draft. Really liked his fluidity and physicality and all of that thankfully translated into the NFL, but bottom line was that he complemented the likes Talib/Revis/Butler, D-Mac, and Chung beautifully.

Asante was a good player, the 2008 passing defense suffered for not having him on the field. Wasn't worth highest paid CB money, but a good player nonetheless. It is what it is.

And Asante's right. Who has Bill drafted that's been better than him? Butler wasn't drafted. McCourty made his mark as a free safety / general defensive back, not as a pure CB.

Edit: Probably the only competition is Logan Ryan. I liked Ryan and he improved each year with the team. But Asante was better.

Asante was a much better CB than Ryan. He just wasn't the top tier CB that he, and many here, thought he was.

That pick in the 2006 afc title game where he baited manning was a thing of beauty.

Honestly, we’ll probably end up with someone that provides depth and has marginal talent at the deadline.

I’m ok with that. Speed at lb, help at DT and maybe Dawson is our addition in the secondary

Honestly, we’ll probably end up with someone that provides depth and has marginal talent at the deadline.

An exceptional special-teams coverage guy who could provide decent backup ability at RB, LB or safety would be okay by me.

They team is split may jettison a player who needs a change in scenery.

He’ll ship that player to the NFC or trade with 14 other AFC teams before he deals with NE.

In the last 10 years the Pats drafted 5 CB in the 2nd round and the list is horrific.
Wheatley, D. Butler, Ras-IR (even with 33rd pick in one of the strongest classes of all time) Cyrus Jones and Duke Dawson.

If it's "only" a 2nd rounder they want and you can make the cap work I'd say pull the trigger.

I'd rather get a great LB but a talent like P. Peterson for 12m is too good to pass up.

Wheatley was drafted in the 2008 draft which was 11 drafts ago. The fact that your obtuse enough to include a rookie in Dawson in there as being horrific also takes away from the credibility of your argument.

Butler turned in a journeyman career overall.

CB has been a problem.
S has been a problem.
LB has been a problem.
DL has been a problem.

Other than that, the defense has been great.

Typical Deus BS.

Over-looks the fact that the Pats defense is amongst the league leaders in QB Pressure.
Over-looks the fact that the Pats defense is creating turnovers.
Over-generalizes that the "CB" problem has been normal growing pains of rookies>
Over-generalizes how the DL has "been a problem".

Can actually provide solid facts to support his claims, but we're supposed to believe him regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents