PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injuries Are Piling Up Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well f*ck, then season over and it doesn't even start for another 3 weeks.

Seriously guys don't even bother to watch the season. gonna go 0-4 with Garoppolo because he's been "dog ****" in practice and when Brady comes back the team will just be riddled with injuries even though currently the only long term injuries on the team are Rob Ninkovich and Malcolm Mitchell..
You play the sarcasm card wayyyyy too much man. I guess now I know how people see me in person lol

Agreed. Isn't the team actually doing really well with injuries thus far?

Denver just lost their starting DT for the year, which is a serious blow to them, and we are already complaining about injuries? We are just dealing with nicks and bruises at this point. Yeah, there are guys that haven't seen the field in camp like dion lewis and vollmer, but as long as we have them on opening day we'll be fine. We can start worrying about injuries when and if they have long term consequences for 2016.

I do wonder sometimes if our injury problems are actually worse than other teams on average. They very well might be (and anecdotally I would lean that way), but let's be honest, we see EVERY injury that impacts this team, but only the major ones that impact other teams. When a promising young player like Mitchell gets hurt, we consider that a big potential loss, but if a 4th round rookie got hurt on say, Carolina, would that even register with us?

On top of that, it's so hard to quantify injuries. We might be able to look at data to say (hypothetically) that we've lost more "man games" to injuries, but it's impossible to say how many of those games were "lost" because we were being cautious with a player, rather than an injury that was impossible to play through. Or perhaps we had a better reserve player than another team may have typically, so it was better to "lose" the game from the starter rather than force him to play hurt.

Again, we very well may have worse luck when it comes to injury, I just think it's not something I'm prepared to say for certain. Outside of some specific years of course, like 2013 which just felt overwhelmingly bad.

Denver just lost their starting DT for the year, which is a serious blow to them, and we are already complaoning about injuries? We are just dealing with nicks and scratches relative to other teams. Yeah, there are guys that haven't seen the field in camp like dion lewis and vollmer, but as long as we have them on opening day we'll be fine. We can start worrying about injuries when and if they have long term consequences for 2016.
I'm with you that things could be much worse but I don't give a **** about other teams' injuries. The entire Steelers offense could be comatose for the season and I would still throw a ***** fit if Dion Lewis pulled a hammy in practice

So memory, on top of possible frustration, is an issue. Let's take a stroll down Memory Lane, shall we?

Apparently you suffer from the same memory issues. Let me refresh your's

Exactly. It's an exercise in futility to expect this team to remain among the most healthy teams in the league. They play too many games every season and get the opponent's very best in every game. That won't happen. 2014 was the exception.

I can't be the only one that reads that as "Only reason why the Pats won the SB in '14 was because of health, unlike the years surrounding it and I expect this year to be the same as those other injury riddle years"

My whole interpretation of your post comes from you citing 2014, because when you say 2014 was the exception it makes it come off like they need to have a season like that health wise to win the SB. Which you say in the post you don't expect them to have a season like 2014, health wise.

I'm with you that things could be much worse but I don't give a **** about other teams' injuries. The entire Steelers offense could be comatose for the season and I would still throw a ***** fit if Dion Lewis pulled a hammy in practice
I'd be fine with Dion carrying a light load in TC but I am uneasy with Brown not seeing action and Dion not even present. Brown's contract suggested an important role, but at what point do we move to plan B?

Rob Gronkowski pulled up at practice against the Bears on Monday in a drill and hasn’t been seen at practice since

Really?

He left practice Monday and missed Tuesday's practice, ONE practice. Does missing one practice really constitute a "he hasn't been seen since"

Apparently you suffer from the same memory issues. Let me refresh your's

I can't be the only one that reads that as "Only reason why the Pats won the SB in '14 was because of health, unlike the years surrounding it and I expect this year to be the same as those other injury riddle years"

My whole interpretation of your post comes from you citing 2014, because when you say 2014 was the exception it makes it come off like they need to have a season like that health wise to win the SB. Which you say in the post you don't expect them to have a season like 2014, health wise.

No, I'm quite positive you're not the only one on this forum with reading comprehension issues who also loves creating a nice Wednesday morning straw man. I made no mention about past Super Bowls or the possibility of this one in 2016. If I had, the word "Super Bowl" would have been in the two posts you quoted. I was merely discussing the team from an injury standpoint and 2014 was their healthiest year in the last six. It's also an outlier. If you want to discuss Super Bowls, than injuries were only a part of why other teams didn't win for the most part. A cursory glance at the 2015 team, for example, would show that, even though that team was decimated by injuries, they were a silent snap count away from being in the Super Bowl again. So here's a pro tip for the future so you can stop embarrassing yourself: stop and take a breath the next time someone says something that is less than glowing about this team. You may find that you'll save yourself a lot of trouble... kind of like the Edelman in a boot thread. You may want to duck out now.

I do wonder sometimes if our injury problems are actually worse than other teams on average. They very well might be (and anecdotally I would lean that way), but let's be honest, we see EVERY injury that impacts this team, but only the major ones that impact other teams. When a promising young player like Mitchell gets hurt, we consider that a big potential loss, but if a 4th round rookie got hurt on say, Carolina, would that even register with us?

On top of that, it's so hard to quantify injuries. We might be able to look at data to say (hypothetically) that we've lost more "man games" to injuries, but it's impossible to say how many of those games were "lost" because we were being cautious with a player, rather than an injury that was impossible to play through. Or perhaps we had a better reserve player than another team may have typically, so it was better to "lose" the game from the starter rather than force him to play hurt.

Again, we very well may have worse luck when it comes to injury, I just think it's not something I'm prepared to say for certain. Outside of some specific years of course, like 2013 which just felt overwhelmingly bad.

Pats are probably in the top group, on average. They play late into January every year, and playoff games are usually more physical and intense.

It's training camp. No worries. It's football. Injuries are going to happen.

Pats are probably in the top group, on average. They play late into January every year, and playoff games are usually more physical and intense.

Of course. Most people should understand this.

It's too early to tell. I think a lot of these could be the staff knowing what they have with certain guys and opting to take a look at some others. Especially the vets.

I don't think the "Patriots getting opposing teams' best shot" is limited to just the regular season. I think any team the Pats face, especially those who rarely get a chance to face them, want to show up and show out for people. They want to "prove " that they can beat the Pats no matter who they trot out. Remember the Lions blowout preseason game? Remember the one dude who sacked Brady and danced about it...IN A PRESEASON GAME? That's why both the Bears tomorrow and the Panthers next week will be looking to make a statement against them. I hope the guys will be ready for more late and/or borderline hits than they faced vs NO. Bill should play the 3rd-stringers all game if he has to do so IMO.

Patriots Injuries Are Piling Up Quickly

Steve Balestrieri

The team wraps up the 3-day joint practices with the Bears today, But the injury bug, which so decimated the team a year ago, is raising its ugly head again

Continue reading...

Most of this article seems to be focusing on guys who are still on PUP (Amendola, Vollmer, Lewis), but I'm totally okay with that. If they aren't quite ready yet, then they aren't quite ready yet. Doesn't mean they won't be available for the season, or otherwise for when we most need them. I'm fine iwth them missing the entire preseason if it means they can be healthy for week 1 and playing at 100% game shape around week 5 or so. It's obviously not ideal, but I'll take that over sending them out with significant risk of reinjury any day.

New injuries are what I look at, and I think we've done pretty okay on that front. Mitchell and Ninkovich are the only significant ones, but neither appears to be long term so I'd consider us as lucky on that front. As long as we keep dodging bullets like we did with Gronk and Edelman's both being minor issues, I'll be happy.

Not worried yet. I'm sure there will be some bad injuries upcoming but so far I think we've actually had decent fortune. Gronk's injury is apparently minor, Edelman didn't reinjure his foot badly, Ninko shouldn't be gone too long, and Mitchell is already back on the practice field. I'm a bit concerned because I haven't heard much on Sheard. But so far nothing catastrophic.

Of course still waiting to see what's up with guys like Dion Lewis and when we can expect them back.

I don't think the "Patriots getting opposing teams' best shot" is limited to just the regular season. I think any team the Pats face, especially those who rarely get a chance to face them, want to show up and show out for people. They want to "prove " that they can beat the Pats no matter who they trot out. Remember the Lions blowout preseason game? Remember the one dude who sacked Brady and danced about it...IN A PRESEASON GAME? That's why both the Bears tomorrow and the Panthers next week will be looking to make a statement against them. I hope the guys will be ready for more late and/or borderline hits than they faced vs NO. Bill should play the 3rd-stringers all game if he has to do so IMO.

You saying the Pats ain't gonna win the 'Bowl, son? Might as well give up on the season. It's over.

Denver just lost their starting DT for the year, which is a serious blow to them, and we are already complaining about injuries? We are just dealing with nicks and bruises at this point. Yeah, there are guys that haven't seen the field in camp like dion lewis and vollmer, but as long as we have them on opening day we'll be fine. We can start worrying about injuries when and if they have long term consequences for 2016.
This thread is like a Pats-Bears joint practice.

Take a breath boys, it's been a long training camp, nerves are frayed.

But as to the topic at hand, yeah, it's football. My take on injuries has long been that as long as it doesn't put a guy out for the year, I'm not too worried. Exceptions, sure--you don't want a guy out for weeks and weeks. But nicks and dings, they happen.

Pats are doing just fine so far on the injury front. Actually, considering how some of them looked initially, better than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes