PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Really great insight from Dr. Flynn, on the Patriots' current state of health

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more drafting injury prone WRs with past history of injuries in college..always bites us in the butt

All due respect, what Mitchell gave the Patriots in the Super Bowl last year was enough of a contribution for the rest of his career. Without him they don't win that game. He's already been worth his being drafted. Of course we all want a lot more out of him, but he was a huge, critical component to the SB victory last year.

No more drafting injury prone WRs with past history of injuries in college..always bites us in the butt

If you have a consistent way who will be an inury prone player just based on college injury I suggest you let some NFL team front offices know because it could make you a rich man.

If you have a consistent way who will be an inury prone player just based on college injury I suggest you let some NFL team front offices know because it could make you a rich man.

We just have an awful track history with drafted WRs who get injured

Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Taylor Price
Aaron Dobson
josh Boyce
Macolm Mitchell
Jeremy Ebert
Deven Lucien
Jeremy Gallon

The problem here is that any wide receiver who actually has significant talent and DOESN'T have an injury history (or some other mark on their record), would never last out of the top ten, never mind to where the Patriots tend to pick. That's why we tend to take flyers on guys in the middle rounds and hope they work out. Couple that risk with compatibility in the system and it makes for a high "bust" rate. I'm not ready to call Mitchell one of those yet though.

Always thought that there was some sort of correlation between advancing to the Superbowl and a rash of injuries in the subsequent season.. perhaps my view is anecdotal, but there seems to be some evidence of this happening.

It might be beneficial to do some sort of longitudinal study to ascertain whether this premise is true or just more failed thought processes, the NFLPA might be interested in this type of thing, particularly as the NFL is heading toward an 18 game season..

I think the problem with your theory is you are forgetting about the significant roster turnover.

For example looking at the 3 Pats with ACL tears. Edelman is an obvious candidate. Rivers obviously isn't as he is rookie. And Cyrus Jones was a Pat, but was inactive for the playoffs, so pretty hard to blame the extended playoff run for his injury.

for anyone wondering his is the list of 2015 Pats that went on injured reserve, split based on if they played for the Pats

didn't play for 2014 Pats
RB Dion Lewis
LB Eric Martin
CB Tarell Brown
CB Darryl Roberts
TE A.J. Darby
DE Trey Flowers
WR Brandon Gibson
LB Rufus Johnson
LB Dane Fletcher

injury waiver claim, that never actually played for 2014 Pats
RB Tyler Gaffney

on 2014 injured reserve, and didn't play in playoffs
WR Aaron Dobson
DT Dominique Easley
LB Jerod Mayo

RB LeGarrette Blount
FB James Develin
DT Chris Jones
OT Nate Solder
WR Brian Tyms
OG Ryan Wendell

So it looks like of the 19 Pats on the 2015 injured reserve
10 didn't play for the Pats in 2014
3 were on the 2014 IR and missed the extended playoff run
6 were with the Pats for the playoffs

Doesn't seem to me that playing in the playoffs is very correlated with getting hurt

Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Taylor Price
Aaron Dobson
josh Boyce
Macolm Mitchell
Jeremy Ebert
Deven Lucien
Jeremy Gallon

Not sure why you added Ebert, Lucien or Gallon to your list. They were pure projects and long shots to make the roster anyway.

Boyce was selected based on his 3 cone alone but never was able to use his amazing measurables to be a good football player. I dont really think anyone drafted after spot 100 can really be a big bust because the expectations are different than when you are drafted in the first two rounds.

Mitchell is definitely not part of some awful history because like others have already mentioned he was a key to getting last years SB. If he never plays a down again he still contributed a lot to a title which makes his pick a success in my book.

That being said you have seen a shift from our front office to acquire talented players that have already NFL tape in the bank instead of drafting young players with the tradeoff being fewer years of cost control but less risk of a total bust. If this continues then you should see fewer WR busts on our team.

Interesting......

So your theory is the farther a team advances in the playoffs, the more injuries it experiences to those same players the following year.

That's worth digging into...

That's why the Jets are always healthy, now I get it, oh those smart mothafockas, and we thought they were incompetent.

With this strategy they won't ever suffer with injuries

reece.jpg

Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Taylor Price
Aaron Dobson
josh Boyce
Macolm Mitchell
Jeremy Ebert
Deven Lucien
Jeremy Gallon
There were injury concerns about Mitchell in the draft. Which is why he was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back