PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the #1 defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you hold the defending champions to 3 points, on their home field, then you're doing something very right. Add in the fact that they're at Mile High with perhaps the best home field advantage in the NFL.

To my eye the talent at DE isn't dangerously thin... just the opposite: the cup runneth over. Long, Ninkovich, Sheard and Flowers are four pretty compelling players on the edge, all of them can run and contain the run. I think it's just that we've lost perspective on what free-agent trash looks like on a roster.

The over maligned secondary... Ryan gets far too little respect on this board. The guy made the INT that was the pivot for the outcome of the game, textbook coverage. Rowe with quality minutes. Where's the weak spot in the secondary? Just another example of inflated expectations.

D is solid.

Proof is on the scoreboard.

I added numbers in parentheses which show the D's average vs the league average for pointed allowed per team.

2016 is tied with 03 and 06.

Not bad company.
I ran some numbers myself: look at the quality of the competition, how many PPG did Patriots opponents score that season, vs how many they scored when they played the Patriots. I ran these numbers for 2003 and 2004 - elite defensive years - and 2014 through 2016 to see more recent trends.

2003 - Fairly soft schedule, very comparable to this season actually: Indy (#2 PPG) and Tennessee (#5 PPG) had elite offenses, a couple mid-pack teams, the rest were below-average. The defense man-handled almost all of the marginal/bad offenses (outlier was the week-1 blowout L against Buffalo) but struggled against better offenses (Indy, Tenn, Denver all beat their year-long average). Opp PPG: 19.2; Pats D PPG: 14.875. Difference: +4.325

2004 -
Best defense of the bunch, and it shows. They had some real tough opponents - Indy and KC were #1/2 in NFL scoring - a bunch of league-average opponents and they only under-performed by small amounts to a few teams, while holding opponents to 10+ points less than average up and down the schedule. Opp PPG: 21.82. Pats D PPG: 16.25. Difference: +5.57

2014: Similar strength-of-opponent to 2004, with three of the top six offenses (GB, Denver, Indy). The horrendous KC game is the outlier--19 points worse than KC's average output--which really hurt their overall numbers, but this was a solid defense though not quite on par with '03/'04. Opp PPG: 22.42; Pats D PPG: 19.56; Difference: +2.86

2015: The season story explains the numbers here: they looked great until the Denver game then things derailed from there, they went from an elite D, routinely keeping opponents 10+ points under their average to giving up more than average almost every game from Denver onward. Opp PPG: 22.42; Pats D PPG: 19.69; Difference: +2.73

2016: As I said, fairly similar look to this opponent list to 2003, though it's lighter at the top (especially considering Pittsburg was without Roethlisberger). They've only underperformed the average in a few games, by miniscule amounts, but they also haven't man-handled teams much (yesterday and the Texans game being the two exceptions). Ultimately those two games skew the average, but the defense has outpaced their opponents average PPG by a similar margin to 2003. Opp PPG: 20.82; Pats D PPG: 16.64; Difference: +4.18

The fun part about all of this: EVERY defense outperformed the average. They've all been damn good, regardless of personnel or scheme or injuries the Patriots routinely put a well-above average defense together, this year is no exception.

Last edited:
If you hold the defending champions to 3 points, on their home field, then you're doing something very right. Add in the fact that they're at Mile High with perhaps the best home field advantage in the NFL.

Amen...Keep in the mind, this the same Denver offense that put up 27 points against the Chiefs at Mile High just over two weeks ago. Yesterday, with their playoff hopes on the line, we held Denver to 3 points and completely shut them out in the second half. It was the Broncos best effort, but their lowest offensive output since 2011. They gave us their very best, and our defense dominated them....pure and simple

After everything they've accomplished, why do mediots like Paul Perillo and Mazz want to find reasons to discredit these guys? Smh

Amen...Keep in the mind, this the same Denver offense that put up 27 points against the Chiefs at Mile High just over two weeks ago. Yesterday, with their playoff hopes on the line, we held Denver to 3 points and completely shut them out in the second half. It was the Broncos best effort, but their lowest offensive output since 2011. They gave us their very best, and our defense dominated them....pure and simple

After everything they've accomplished, why do mediots like Paul Perillo and Mazz want to find reasons to discredit these guys? Smh
Actually heard Perillo give kudos to the D today.

I almost drove off the road. I was in shock.

Reiss has a nice short piece on the Pats D players feeding off the doubters and disrespect from the clueless media. They took the Denver game personally as they were pissed how their season ended last year. A lot of chips on shoulders ala Rodney Harrison.
This D is physical, tough and one of the best in the NFL. I won't mention that I told y'all that back many weeks ago.;)
Better than Denver's. Yes I said it. Denver does not have a great D. They are very good but you can't be great if you're one-dimensional and they can't stop the run.
This Pats D has a bunch of tough physical hardworking and proud dudes who don't beat their chests like a lot of these other assclowns- but make no mistake- they KNOW what they have. At least a lot of y'all are starting to realize that too.

I like Paul so I will bite. The media can't just gush over the Patriots success. They have to come up with talking points and critique the Pats even if they are playing great football. Mazz is an idiot.. Felger is a troll and predictable. I use to like Tony when he was on the Big Show back in the early 2000's.. I actually can't stand the guy anymore.

If you want positive Patriots talk listen to Dale and Holley they are generally positive about the Patriots.

Just be aware.. Minihan is now on the Patriots bandwagon and gushing over the Patriots on Monday night Patriots CSNE. He is always wrong.. I hope he doesn't jinx the Pats.

Yeah but look at all the YARDS we allow... :/

I mean what if we're in the Super Bowl and we win the score by 3 and hold the other team to no touchdowns but the other team rolls up 500 yards on us?

LOL I always felt the "standards" the NFL used for defenses was flawed. Why would rank an Offense by the points it scores, but rank a defense by the yards it allows? It never made sense to me.

Reiss has a nice short piece on the Pats D players feeding off the doubters and disrespect from the clueless media. They took the Denver game personally as they were pissed how their season ended last year. A lot of chips on shoulders ala Rodney Harrison.
This D is physical, tough and one of the best in the NFL. I won't mention that I told y'all that back many weeks ago.;)
Better than Denver's. Yes I said it. Denver does not have a great D. They are very good but you can't be great if you're one-dimensional and they can't stop the run.
This Pats D has a bunch of tough physical hardworking and proud dudes who don't beat their chests like a lot of these other assclowns- but make no mistake- they KNOW what they have. At least a lot of y'all are starting to realize that too.

My favorite thing is seeing McCourty and Butler bringing the thunder when they hit. McCourty's hit on Thomas yesterday was awesome, good to see Thomas didn't too injured, but the crap knocked out of him a little.

Last edited:
This defense could really use a stud edge rusher next year. I wish the Belichick that went out and signed Rosevelt Colvin to a big deal would reappear.

This defense could really use a stud edge rusher next year. I wish the Belichick that went out and signed Rosevelt Colvin to a big deal would reappear.
We just don't get one dimensional guys who get cut loose to do nothing but rush the passer. It's not the style of this scheme.

We just don't get one dimensional guys who get cut loose to do nothing but rush the passer. It's not the style of this scheme.
I think this is BS. Most guys that are athletic enough to rush the passer are capable of stopping the run too.

Chandler Jones to the Arizona we are f....ing doomed, where is the pass rush coming from??
Jamie Collins to Cleveland we are really f....ing doomed, how will we replace all that athleticism??

The stories that the media feast on.. and some fans ingest without question. It does make great talk show banter though..

They've faced terrible offenses all season. The only top ten scoring offense they ever faced is the bills and one of those games was without their best player in shady. I need to see what they do in the playoffs in potential games with real Qbs and offenses

I agree with you 100%. Chris Long, Jabaal Sheard and Nink can all get after the QB and they can drop back in coverage if needed. I love their versatility. They showed that in the last two games. I don't think we need a stud rusher, we have 3 of them.

They've faced terrible offenses all season. The only top ten scoring offense they ever faced is the bills and one of those games was without their best player in shady. I need to see what they do in the playoffs in potential games with real Qbs and offenses
And they faced us without our best player too. The argument is moot. Because if you think the Bills would have beaten us in New England with Brady or even Garrapolo under Center, think again. We could very well be 13-1 right now.

Those teams with terrible offenses also have very good defenses. The Bills, Jets, Miami, Ravens, Pittsburgh even Denver (although they are ranked 28th or 29th against the run this year). I mean the Ravens, we just humiliated them and they have an awesome defense.

Our offensive line play against many of those teams has been stellar. I say this comparing them to last year. They have given Brady time and the receivers time to get open, although Brady doesn't hold onto the ball all that long most of the time.

And they faced us without our best player too. The argument is moot. Because if you think the Bills would have beaten us in New England with Brady or even Garrapolo under Center, think again. We could very well be 13-1 right now.

But we're not talking about their defense we're talking about the patriots defense. The reality is they've faced nobodies all season. The one good qb they've faced all year embarrassed them in Wilson, and they weren't even a good overall offense

Really? As opposed to what? ... the 'imaginary' qbs and offenses they've faced? :rolleyes:

But we're not talking about their defense we're talking about the patriots defense. The reality is they've faced nobodies all season. The one good qb they've faced all year embarrassed them in Wilson, and they weren't even a good overall offense

Wilson's numbers were inflated (just like in the Super Bowl) due to big plays. Which goes against our Defensive Philosophy. We usually don't allow the big plays to happen. We ended up going into a prevent Defense and Wilson lit us up as a result. His numbers are inflated on 3 or 4 big passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes