PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the #1 defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the Steelers match their average, this will be a highly competitive game. If the Steelers surpass their average, there's a good chance they will be representing the AFC in Super Bowl LI.

The Pats also had the Number 3 scoring offense, so Pitt's D would have to hold them way below their average. How has Pitt done in that department? They allowed 20.4 points per game this season. The Patriots scored 27.6 points per game. The Steelers might need to significantly surpass their average.

Consider this: the average defense in the NFL allowed 22.8 points per game. The Steelers did better than that by less than a field goal while the Patriots did better by more than a touchdown.

Defense proved they aren't frauds. I was a big critic of them most of the season but made me eat crow. They can cause Atlanta problems I'm sure.

Would be interesting how will the defense contain the Falcons high power offense
I seem to recall a Super Bowl against "the greatest show on turf" in which a Belichick designed defense took on an offense averaging over 30 points a game and held them to 17. In my opinion, there is nothing Belichick enjoys more as a coach than confronting a high scoring offense and shutting it down. Houston should be fun.

Patriots’ Defense Solidifies Itself As Top Unit In AFC Championship Win

Pittsburgh finished the regular season 10th in the NFL averaging 24.9 points per game and Roethlisberger had a 95.4 QB rating, good for 11th in the NFL. Statistically, Roethlisberger was the best quarterback the Patriots defense faced all year and it rose to the occasion.

The Steelers quarterback went 31-for-47 passing for 314 yards with one touchdown and one interception for a QB rating of 83.1 in the loss. The 314 yards may seem like a lot, but it’s at least worth mentioning that 100 of those yards and Roethlisberger’s 30-yard TD pass came after the game already was well decided late in the fourth quarter.

When the game still was on the line and the Steelers reached the red zone, the Patriots made two goal-line stands and held strong, forcing a field goal to end the second half and a turnover on downs early in the fourth quarter. Once the Steelers reached the red zone, the defense held strong -- like it did time and time again this year. Overall, Pittsburgh went 1-for-3 in the red zone, including 0-for-2 in goal-to-goal situations. This was a major factor in the win.

ATL has a great offense.

I think NE will keep ATL under 30. Maybe under 25.

I think NE will score more than 30.

Curious to hear throughout the week what your take is on how to deal with their pass catching RBs. Despite their WR firepower our lack of pass covering LBs is my biggest concern.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need more than a tiny 18-game sample before I'm ready to declare this a great defense.

If they hold the falcons to under 10 points then we'll talk.

Curious to hear throughout the week what your take is on how to deal with their pass catching RBs. Despite their WR firepower our lack of pass covering LBs is my biggest concern.

They scare the hell out of me. :p

My early take is this will be a classic pick you poison game.

I think they'd sacrifice the 5 yard dump off to Freeman or Coleman and not the 15 yard pass to Jones, Manu or Gabriel

I think they'd sacrifice the 5 yard dump off to Freeman or Coleman and not the 15 yard pass to Jones, Manu or Gabriel
Belichick's schemed against and beaten the Greatest Show on Turf. I trust he sees something he can and will exploit.

Pittsburgh finished the regular season 10th in the NFL averaging 24.9 points per game and Roethlisberger had a 95.4 QB rating, good for 11th in the NFL. Statistically, Roethlisberger was the best quarterback the Patriots defense faced all year and it rose to the occasion.

The Steelers quarterback went 31-for-47 passing for 314 yards with one touchdown and one interception for a QB rating of 83.1 in the loss. The 314 yards may seem like a lot, but it’s at least worth mentioning that 100 of those yards and Roethlisberger’s 30-yard TD pass came after the game already was well decided late in the fourth quarter.

Belichick's schemed against and beaten the Greatest Show on Turf. I trust he sees something he can and will exploit.
He'll slow them down no question .

How much is the 2nd question.

That's kind of been their thing all year, hasn't it? Everyone does their assignment out front while McCourty sits back there reading and reacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back