PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have spoken to every team about QBs

I wonder if Aaron Rodgers is secretly on the block?

He would save Green Bay $22M as a post June 01 trade.

They have their pick from last year.

Rodgers would most likely be beyond motivated to prove the was coaching and the organization that has kept him to only one ring.

will take three first rounders?

End of the first round fine, but Flowers is not a game changing talent and that contract from Detroit was out of pure desperation by Patricia. Rumor was he was very desperate to get someone to be the buffer as he was losing the locker room fast. I will be shocked if he's not a cap casualty this year. That was one of the worst contracts in recent memory.

He reminds me of Gabe Wilkins going to SF in the late 90's as that was a hyped up signing. Looked good on the Packers who were a championship contender, but was a complete bust in SF.

Sure the Lions overpaid the guy, but he was still good his first season with the Lions. He was hurt this year. I don't blame Belichick for not signing him, but if he could have kept him for a more realistic contract he would still probably be a solid starter here.

Sure the Lions overpaid the guy, but he was still good his first season with the Lions. He was hurt this year. I don't blame Belichick for not signing him, but if he could have kept him for a more realistic contract he would still probably be a solid starter here.
He actually wasn't good his first season with the Lions. There were many articles stating how ineffective he was and the Detroit media even confronted him during the season asking him in a polite way how he's been a ghost on that defense. He only padded his stats late in the season to make it look like he wasn't that bad. In fact, the defense got worse since he signed there. Making top 5 money at his position was an insult to many players light years ahead of him. A top 5 guy still makes his presence felt whether the D is good or not. He's been an absolute disaster.

He actually wasn't good his first season with the Lions. There were many articles stating how ineffective he was and the Detroit media even confronted him during the season asking him in a polite way how he's been a ghost on that defense. He only padded his stats late in the season to make it look like he wasn't that bad. In fact, the defense got worse since he signed there. Making top 5 money at his position was an insult to many players light years ahead of him. A top 5 guy still makes his presence felt whether the D is good or not. He's been an absolute disaster.

I admit I don't follow the Lions. I thought he was better than that. I will take your word for it. But even based on what I understood his play was, he definitely wasn't living up to his contract. And I never thought he would. It was a ridiculous contract for him. I thought he was a solid starter here, but not a to DE in the league.

2nd round picks are awful for us, just give them the next 7-8 years worth and call it a day lol. I was thinking about it last night, if they did something like that you could actually attract the FA wideouts like Galladay and Godwin. It would never happen but COVID and the cold winter has my mind going in all different directions.
Totally agree... giving up two seconds and a first to trade up from 15 to 4 is great value it's like giving up n keal Harry, duke Dawson and Cyrus Jones for mahomes...

Strange report. I mean who doesn't know we are doing everything to get a Qb? I do wonder if this is PR cover because we have not gotten anyone yet and only made a lukewarm offer for Stafford and never got in on the Wentz trade.

Non-cousin, OT, what was on the menu this morning?

Hungry Tom And Jerry GIF by MOODMAN

End of the first round fine, but Flowers is not a game changing talent and that contract from Detroit was out of pure desperation by Patricia. Rumor was he was very desperate to get someone to be the buffer as he was losing the locker room fast. I will be shocked if he's not a cap casualty this year. That was one of the worst contracts in recent memory.
It would be almost $27M in dead money to cut him this offseason, in large part due to his $10M guaranteed salary. Are they that desperate to avoid guaranteeing the other $4.4M of his 2021 salary and $1.6M of his 2022 roster bonus to take that entire hit on now?

The Belichickian solution is to bring in Jacoby Brissett for 12-15M and use the extra money to pick up a professional blocking TE and build up our front 7 defensively. Abandon the high powered offensive style we don't have the personnel for anyway. Build our offense around the run with Harris, Michel and White. Focus on controlling time of possession and clock management to minimize opponent's ability to possess the ball and use the run to set up opportunities for the limited passing game.

Strange to see Belichick shopping for a starting QB two years in a row now. It's like a vegetarian shopping for a good steak.

We know two things: he's not paying top dollar for a QB and he's not overpaying with picks either.

All of these QB speculation threads are fun, but the fact is he's getting a veteran QB at minimal cost. That leaves guys like Cam, Fitz, etc. on the list.

Hopefully he does something in the draft (Mac Jones?), but even that is doubtful.

It won't ever happen but if Rodgers becomes available you NEED to do everything possible to get him.
Rodgers is marrying the chick from the Divergent movies, so maybe that means he is ready to Diverge to the Pats!

Seriously his contract makes him untradable, and the Packers would be nuts to move him. Especially when they see the egg on BB's face for letting his franchise QB leave.

Totally agree... giving up two seconds and a first to trade up from 15 to 4 is great value it's like giving up n keal Harry, duke Dawson and Cyrus Jones for mahomes...

Or it could be giving up Gronk, Vollmer, and Vince Wilfork for Blake Bortles. You can't value draft picks based on their best (or worst) case scenarios.

Today - February 23, 2021 - is a big day for this thread to become more relevant. It's the first day of the period before the league year starts on 3-17 when teams can tag their FA's with the ridiculously expensive franchise tender or the more reasonable transition tender offer.

With so many QBs in a state of flux, teams and agents will be looking for FA-eligible QB starters or backups to be tagged early this year. That opens up the window to negotiate a multi-year deal with their own free agents. If nothing else it will pull several guys off the market and help the Patriots figure out where the best veteran or trade-up options might be.

Personally, I'd like to see the Patriots sign Mitch Trubisky at a reasonable number for a couple of years and draft a QB in the first three rounds to compete with Stidham and mature. Trubisky is a solid QB, a good locker room presence, and coachable. Selling out the way the Rams did for Stafford (Goff, 2 firsts and a 3rd) makes no sense to me. That's what it will take for any of the top five or six QB options. And the Patriots don't have a QB to trade.

The Patriots have many holes to fill and should use their relatively good draft position and $63 million in cap money to strengthen both sides of the ball. I think we'll be happy campers by the time OTAs come around. Hightower, Bolden, and Dan Vitale coming back from their opt-outs helps immediately. Add a big run stopper nose tackle with the 1st round pick, re-sign Lawrence Guy and John Simon, and the defense will be fine.

Thuney and Andrews are the offensive priorities as far as Patriots FAs go on offense. They should be able to re-sign both in the $20M range with Thuney getting a longer deal with better guarantees. I'd rather see them spend money on those guys than on one FA QB looking for $15M+.

I could see Trubiskey working out. He's actually shown improvement in his core stats every single year. On a franchise who knew what a quarterback looked like he could get something done.

I could see Trubiskey working out. He's actually shown improvement in his core stats every single year. On a franchise who knew what a quarterback looked like he could get something done.
Then why are the Bears desperate to move away from him? Supposedly they are all in on a trade.

I don't buy it, especially with how complicated the Patriots offense is. All of these re-threads (Trubisky, Mariota, Winston, etc.) will have difficulty picking up Pats system imo.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back