PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots expected to place Franchise Tag on Trey Flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an opinion from Rosenthal nothing more.

What I see happening is like what went on with Hightower. He sees what the market is and we either match or not. I’d be very surprised to see him tagged. I can’t even remember the last time we used a franchise tag
Tagging doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. The caphit for the tag is so high so we could just sign him outright for that money.

Tagging doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. The caphit for the tag is so high so we could just sign him outright for that money.
I would actually suspect that they would realize his likelihood of taking a deal that the team feels is fair is a low one and they’re merely trying to secure one more year of his service with it until they can effectively transition away from Flowers up front. In other words, I think that the likelihood of them keeping him long-term goes out the window if they tag him.

I would actually suspect that they would realize his likelihood of taking a deal that the team feels is fair is a low one and they’re merely trying to secure one more year of his service with it until they can effectively transition away from Flowers up front. In other words, I think that the likelihood of them keeping him long-term goes out the window if they tag him.

that would mean he would receive Solder Money for a DE. That would be absurd but can't rule it out.

that would mean he would receive Solder Money for a DE. That would be absurd but can't rule it out.
For one year, yeah.

For one year, yeah.
I meant if they would be so far apart for a long-term extension. I can only see that to be the case if someone is willing to pay Flowers 19-20 million per year.

Oh ****! Not you too!

This article is trash. OP come on! There's no expectations of this. Rosenthal doesn't say it's expected. 12up are bunch of clickbaiters, and now you've helped those clickbaiting ****s by getting us all to click on the link.

God damn it people! Stop posting clickbaiting ****!

The worst part is this thread is still being responded to by people who think this is a report. It's like people don't actually read before offering their opinion...

Tag and trade?

It's an opinion from Rosenthal nothing more.

It sounds like an “informed” opinion to me. Again, the last part of the Rosenthal quote describing how Flowers is valued by the Patriots and what they’re prepared to sacrifice if they must to keep him sounds like Rosenthal has some actual insight into what the Patriots are thinking and not just speaking out of pure speculation.

You can be sure Belichick talks with the Rosenthals and Schefters dropping them nuggets here and there in return for intel as to what others coaches and executives in the league are thinking.

I think the Patriots don’t like using the Franchise tag but understand that if Flowers hits the open market there’s so much cap space out there that someone will make it impossible for the Patriots to come close to what Flowers is being offered. So, they are going to tag him hoping to sign him long term as the market takes form, and, if they must, the Patriots are willing to trade or release a McCourty or Hightower to get the salary cap space to keep Flowers.

Players don't like being tagged, hopefully they can work out a long term deal. The last thing I want to see is a player like Trey resentful towards the team . It has happened in the past !

Keep him and build a D-line around him and promote him to team captain, he is that good.

Good sign if true that they are very serious about keeping him around and willing to pay the tag price. Im fairly confident a deal would be worked out while he is tagged if they are that committed to him.

This is true but I'm sure he would sign.

Sure, Flowers would sign. The alternative is holding out. However, he has no reason to sign anytime soon. He would have no reason to sign until at least June. If Flowers is franchised, the patriots should be prepared to be without the cap money until the end of June. If Belichick is willing to have Flowers play for one year for this amount, then this is not an issue. Belichick and Flowers will have until mid July to negotiate a long-term contract that would reduce the cap enough to deal with funds needed during camp and the season ($10M is an estimate that we often use).

Flowers market is going to depend on what the Cowboys and Texans do with Lawrence and Clowney respectively.

Clearly Flowers is the third best DE, if they all hit free agency. If one or both of them get tagged, then Flowers price tag goes up. Otherwise his price is set by the contracts that Lawrence and Clowney sign. So the Pats would be smart to wait until They see if the other two get tagged.

I think Flowers is the best Patriots defensive lineman since Seymour (not including Wilfork because their responsibilities are just too different to compare.). I also don’t think he’s worth franchise tag money, just because defensive end is absurdly overpaid.

The Patriots could strike an extension with Gostkowski before free agency, but if they don't, assigning him the franchise tag would help them maintain some leverage to keep him in the fold in 2019. While the tag of about $5 million is richer than the club would project to pay on an annual basis as part of a multiyear deal, it could be a placeholder until the sides hammer out a longer pact. Some might ask, "Why not DE Trey Flowers or OT Trent Brown?" The thinking is that their franchise-tag numbers would be too high for the team's liking.

Prediction: The Patriots will not use the tag on Gostkowski and will sign him to an extension. -- Mike Reiss

NFL franchise tag predictions: 14 teams that could use it

Gotta bring back both Gost and Allen.
It all hinges on Gronks and Mccourtys decisions what the Patriots do this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots