PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defense Has a Chance to End a Ravens Streak

Yep, Wilfork & Mount Washington before him during 2003, and even Tractor Traylor in 2004 were the standard-bearing NTs needed to effectively run a proper 3-4...Strange that Bill didn't bring in or draft anybody else of that body type until the disastrous Busto Brace pick of 2009...
He also switched to a 4-3. More of the league going to 3-4 created a shortage on that type of players? Easier to find 4-3 body types? Passing league is even more pronounced in college so there are no true NTs anymore? I would call Shelton an attempt at bringing that type in and for about 8 weeks last year he was a major reason the bogey men lived up to the moniker. Then his play fell off, cuz he was hurt? Worn down? Returned to his norm? Stronger competition? Suddenly the LBs looked mortal again and the defense went from keeping teams to scores that looked like a soccer game to just very very good.
Idk why we don’t have that type of player but I honestly wouldn’t mind getting the next Wilfork if they pick too late to get a QB of the future. As a 6’4 320 lb fat man myself I just love watching dominate line play. Making this years team both a joy and a nightmare to watch. Our offensive line is tough, athletic, and has the right attitude. The defensive line.....well... at least we have Guy right?

First thing you have to understand is the numbers. 0 is head up on the center, 2 is head up on a guard on either side, 4 is head up on a tackle. A 1 tech will line up in the gap between the center and the guard but generally shades towards the TE or the strong side of the formation. A 3 tech lines up between the guard and the tackle on the weak side. There are of course a ton of variations and other ways to do it based on play calls, weaknesses, and things you want to attack but lets stick to the basic concept.

The difference between a 1 tech and a 3 tech is, and again I am talking in generalities, you want your 1 tech to be a big strong fatty in the 320-350 lb range whose soul job is to absorb both a guard and the center blocking them. He needs to keep two guys on the line for 2-3 seconds so that the linebacker behind him is clean and able to make a 1 on 1 tackle on the RB. A 1 tech wont have a ton of stats or even look like they are all that important. They face a ton of combo blocks where the guard helps the center get him 2 yards off the ball and then slids to the LB. Think Wilfork he was absolutely the stereotype 0 tech NT or 1 tech.

Now a 3 tech needs to be a little more versatile as they play both the run and the pass. They tend to be in the 290-300 lb range. Generally they go 1 on 1 with a guard and have to beat him to a spot. You can do that either with power, speed, quickness, lots of different types and ways to do it but they arent usually asked to take on 2 people like a 1 tech. If I was designing a 3 tech it would end up looking alot like Warren Sapp....without the douche.

Here's where it gets fun. In a 3-4 you have 1 really big fatty in the middle who has to protect 2 LBs and (2) 3 tech type players. Think of the pats d line in the early 2000's. They had 3 really big really good fat guys that chewed up blockers and let the Linebackers make plays. In today's 4-3 you hear more of Lawrence Guy cuz he is expected to make some tackles instead of just absorbing blockers.

Now you can 1 gap or 2 gap from any tech in either formation. A 1 tech DT could be lined up towards the strong side but be responsible for the weak side A gap cuz a LB is going to blitz the strong side A gap. 1 gapping versus 2 gapping is more a risk/reward philosophy then a body type. 2 gapping is a reaction based defense that won't make a big play but is less likely to give up a big play either. 1 gapping is more of an attacking defense where the goal is to be 2 yards in the back field in your gap. Yeah you might get more sacks and tackles for a loss, but you open up cut back lanes and escape routes.

Hope that helped with the basics. Like I said before there are a ton of variations but its mostly semantics based on personal. If you have great aggressive players that are better at do this and be there you probably want a 4-3 1 gap defense. If you have smart players that can do alot of everything a 3-4 2 gap works too. The problem with the pats right now is besides Guy (a 3 tech body type) they got a whole lot of nothing at the 1 tech body type when you should have 2. I agree that a proper 1 tech is priority 1 behind QB of the future.
I have no idea if this is accurate or not ....doesn’t matter....you are awesome! Great post!!!

Read this earlier and thought it was interesting: Ravens have the league's No. 1 rushing attack and have scored 20-plus points in an NFL-record 31 consecutive games.

I like the fact this game is at home and this group has played pretty well down in the red area. Should be interesting to see if they can snap this streak for Baltimore this weekend ;)
Wow, good call Nostradamus!

Needed a little help from the weather, but it happened!
True.

But coach loves for his guys to practice in nasty weather. so some of it is luck (weather happens) and some of it is coaching/preparedness. I'd say BB put his team in a better position to handle the elements and it showed.

This defense doesn’t have a DT that can swallow up blockers and prevent them from getting a hat on our backers at the next level. On top of that, nobody outside of Wino has shown that they can consistently set the edge. Unless Jackson fires 2-3 picks (which could easily be matched by Cam in the face of the blitz), that streak is still alive after this weekend.

We BADLY need a toilet clogger NT, and have for some time. I’d put that as easily the second biggest need in the offseason/draft, right behind QB.
This aged well.

Take a victory lap, Ian.
LOL, all I did was read a stat and post it on here. But more importantly, I'm always a fan of Harbaugh getting embarrassed and then whining about it. That in itself has been enough for me and it will be even better if the Titans can make it two straight losses for them. That would be pretty amazing. ;)

LOL, all I did was read a stat and post it on here. But more importantly, I'm always a fan of Harbaugh getting embarrassed and then whining about it. That in itself has been enough for me and it will be even better if the Titans can make it two straight losses for them. That would be pretty amazing. ;)
Pats definitely inflicted quite a bit of damage to the Ravens playoff chances. They're now 3 games behind the Steelers with 7 to play and they're also now the 7 seed in the conference. Pats also have the H2H tiebreaker on them if needed.

Would hate to see it if they missed the playoffs because of this loss. :)

Take a victory lap, Ian.

I would not have known about that 20-point streak if you hadn't mentioned it here, however, so seeing it broken actually makes the mention of it more impressive now.

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots