PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Coaching News / Interview Tracker / NFL Tracker [Quick Updates]

Why wasn't he good with Mac? Zapp? Cunningham?
Because the QB doesn't work in a vacuum. He needs complementary pieces, which were lacking here. Football is the ultimate team sport, requiring multiple pieces to mesh together.

Why wasn't he good with Mac? Zapp? Cunningham?
I would argue he was decent with Zappe. Dude is a backup/spot starter at best. He squeezed decent performance out of him on a team that was a dumpster fire with a first round QB drafted just a couple years prior. It wasn’t until Hunter Henry, Stevenson, Juju and Strange all got hurt and Trent Brown stopped giving a **** that the wheels really came off again.

But that is really a topic for another thread.

Yes! This is what I posted about a few messages up. Robinson as OC and Caley as his right hand man. Would be a great idea. Caley would likely be primed to become an OC himself in a year or two if the offense turns around next year and A) teams come calling him for OC jobs or B) a team hires Robinson away for an HC job, and Caley would replace Robinson in NE

Yes! This is what I posted about a few messages up. Robinson as OC and Caley as his right hand man. Would be a great idea. Caley would likely be primed to become an OC himself in a year or two if the offense turns around next year and A) teams come calling him for OC jobs or B) a team hires Robinson away for an HC job, and Caley would replace Robinson in NE
Wouldn’t the Rams just promote Caley?

I would argue he was decent with Zappe. Dude is a backup/spot starter at best. He squeezed decent performance out of him on a team that was a dumpster fire with a first round QB drafted just a couple years prior. It wasn’t until Hunter Henry, Stevenson, Juju and Strange all got hurt and Trent Brown stopped giving a **** that the wheels really came off again.

But that is really a topic for another thread.
As we see in these playoffs, teams need coaches and QBs who can perform in the tightest spots, when they are under extreme pressure.

Many of us criticized the Cowboys for making Jordan Love look All-World last week. I'm sure he's a fine QB. But last night, he not only made a bad decision late, he was wildly inaccurate for much of the game.

CJ Stroud, on the other hand, impressed me as a guy who can keep his head on straight and make big plays in high pressure situations. I feel the same about a QB like Herbert who I've seen stand in there and make accurate throws in playoff conditions.

I like Joe Burrow as a QB, but I've seen him wilt a couple times. He carried his team to the Super Bowl, but he really cowered in that spot, and the same thing has happened to him ever since. He has something to prove.

Anyway, we don't really know what these QBs are made of until we see it. This year's playoffs kind of show that what happens in the regular season doesn't necessarily carry over.

I am pretty sure Josh McDaniels is not coming back to NE

Last edited:
Mike Reiss reports a potential role for Steve Belichick ... nothing formal has been reported, no i have not updated the tracker... No word on Brian Belichick's role moving forward...

from the espn article linked below
6. Belichick sons: Steve Belichick and Brian Belichick, Bill's sons, have been told they've earned the opportunity to remain with the Patriots if they choose to do so. Mayo and Steve have a close friendship, so the projected fit on staff would be as an assistant head coach/senior adviser type. Brian, who came up through scouting and most recently served as safeties coach from 2020 to 2023, was still showing up at Gillette Stadium late this past week.

Consensus seems to be that Matt Slater's retiring. Haven't seen any mention of this, but I would think his character and leadership skills would be useful on the coaching staff, maybe as a special teams assistant.

Latest Reiss report about Steve Belichick ; saying he could be a “senior advisor “

……
if true, it sounds like a pity-job from Mayo for his friend and not a self-respecting job offer.

If Mayo not giving Steve at least an interview chance to compete for DC…. I would think he walks.

My concern would be how well would he “know” the McVay way after one year. Enough to run an offense?

Maybe the better idea would be to hire Zac Robinson as OC and then also bring Nick Caley over as QB Coach which would A) be a promotion of sorts and B) give us value as he would be able to help Robinson translate between what NE does now and what he is trying to do next year
There is no “what New England does now”. We are importing someone else system and throwing out the one we have used for 25 years.
Sadly, we may be doing the same on defense too, although the rumors that Covington will be DC are encouraging.

Consensus seems to be that Matt Slater's retiring. Haven't seen any mention of this, but I would think his character and leadership skills would be useful on the coaching staff, maybe as a special teams assistant.
You are not alone in that thought.
many folks posted similarly.

it would also fit right in w Mayo’s plant a seed priority on ‘Developing’ people.

Latest Reiss report about Steve Belichick ; saying he could be a “senior advisor “

……
if true, it sounds like a pity-job from Mayo for his friend and not a self-respecting job offer.

If Mayo not giving Steve at least an interview chance to compete for DC…. I would think he walks.
Assistant head coach sounds like an upgrade in position / status to me

Assistant head coach sounds like an upgrade in position / status to me
Agree. Mayo as HC, with Steve B as assistant head coach and Covington as DC would keep the (non-Bill) core of the defensive coaching staff together, and that part of the team has been working well since almost day one when Bill got here. I wouldn’t want to change that much, except for getting a bit more athleticism in some of the off the ball linebackers. Keeping things together here would be a really good development.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back