PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots can attempt to recover $2.5M from Fanene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots recover $2.5M from Fanene

So we didn't get the space back yet, we just have the ability to go and get the space back?

Re: Report:pats win CBA Appeals ruling

Well this got really messy:

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/status/312270338492882945

What does this even mean? :lol2:

JHC, I hate the media. This has been going on for weeks. One reports somethng and then another reports something entirely different.

You would think that with something like this, they can get their facts straight before they "tweet".

Maybe we should kill that little "twitter" bird.

Re: Report:pats win CBA Appeals ruling

WTF, Rapaport. Way to screw the pooch.

According to OvertheCap, the Patriots have $2,566,667 in dead cap money this year from the Fanene transaction.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2013

Last year they had a $1,383,333 hit.
In total that is $3,950,000 in dead money.
There may have been work-out money or something he earned.

Well, good for the team. Another $2.5m can come in handy.

...and, for context, the Rob Gronkowski cap charge is $2.75m.

I don't see what the conflict is here. I never assumed the Patriots got the money from Fanene. They'll sue him for that.

I assumed they beat the CBA over the right to sue and beyond that, they'd get cap relief.

Why can't people comprehend this?

I don't see what the conflict is here. I never assumed the Patriots got the money from Fanene. They'll sue him for that.

I assumed they beat the CBA over the right to sue and beyond that, they'd get cap relief.

Why can't people comprehend this?

Gee I don't know. maybe this had something to do with it?

CBA Appeals Ruling: #Patriots can recover $2.5M bonus they paid Jonathan Fanene in '12. He made "inaccurate" medical disclosures in physical

I missed the part that said that they just won the "right to sue".

CBA Appeals Ruling: #Patriots can recover $2.5M bonus they paid Jonathan Fanene in '12. He made "inaccurate" medical disclosures in physical

Rapaport's tweet was ambiguous, but not wrong.

"can recover" can mean both "will be able to recover" and "will have the chance to recover". Rapaport meant the second while we (reasonably) interpreted it to mean the first. He should have been clearer.

It was completely misleading
I hate Twitter

It was completely misleading
I hate Twitter

I wasn't mislead by that tweet. I understood it only meant they could now sue. And more importantly (because I don't care about Kraft's bank account), they would receive salary cap relief.

Just how did you think they would recover it?

By showing up with a gun at his door? Of course they would have to sue. It's in his bank account.

We don't care about whether Kraft can add a couple of million to his bank account. What we need to know is about the recapture of cap space. Reiss seems to be saying that the patriots MIGHT recover some cap space if they win a suit against Fanene. That's not much more than we knew yesterday.

Rapaport's tweet was ambiguous, but not wrong.

"can recover" can mean both "will be able to recover" and "will have the chance to recover". Rapaport meant the second while we (reasonably) interpreted it to mean the first. He should have been clearer.
Yep, exactly. It's like Rapoport telling me I can have 100 million dollars, when really he's just giving me permission to buy a lottery ticket.

Still a step in the right direction for the Pats.
(And thread title has been changed to reflect new meaning)

We don't care about whether Kraft can add a couple of million to his bank account. What we need to know is about the recapture of cap space. Reiss seems to be saying that the patriots MIGHT recover some cap space if they win a suit against Fanene. That's not much more than we knew yesterday.

Well, we now know that they can proceed with that, which is more than we knew yesterday

Just how did you think they would recover it?

By showing up with a gun at his door? Of course they would have to sue. It's in his bank account.

I don't care how long or if they ever recover the real $. They probably will not recover .10 by the time lawers play around with it.

What I do care about, and most here do, is the cap space. Why can't the NFL rule on that now without a law suit? I bet they can, but will they.

Last edited:

I don't are how long or if they ever recover the real $. They probably will not recover .10 by the time lawers play around with it.

What I do care about, and most here do, is the cap space. Why can't the NFL rule on that now without a law suit? I bet they can, but will they.

On point.
We have at least learned that the Pats contrary to what some had speculated are going after Fanene on this. If reporters were anything worthy of the name they'd be after the Pats and NFL to answer the immediate cap question you mentioned. I won't hold my breath.

I doubt the Patriots would actually make him write a check. My guess is that this is about trying to get the cap space back.

The bottom line is that none of us knows (at least nobody posting in the thread) what the relationship is between pursuing a grievance against a player and recovering lost cap space. I would think the two are on separate tracks and one is a prerequisite to petitioning for the other, but I really don't know. I would think that if the Patriots obtain a final ruling that they made a salary commitment under false pretenses, there would be a separate mechanism to recover some or all of the cap hit tied to that commitment, regardless of whether or not the player writes a check or can satisfy a judgment.

Ultimately, I would think that decision needs to be made in the commissioner's office. Team v. Player is about, well, Team v. Player. Salary cap is about competitive balance across the league. Different issues. Different decisionmakers. Bottom line is that I wouldn't assume any immediate cap relief here. Since cap space carries over, though, it doesn't really matter if it takes several more months -- other than it wouldn't be available right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back