PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots brought in someone to teach them about millenials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 kids ... 2 of them early millenials and I thank God daily they do not fit the label. They both are hard working and self sufficient and not very political. My youngest is 18 which is millenial by date but he's so young and unpolitical he's all set for now.

I am GenX but although somethings about Millennials bother me, they grew up with terrorism, war their entire life, massive government debt because Baby Boomers wanted tax cuts and deficit spending to pump the economy rather than doing what is right. Their housing and health insurance costs are crazy as more and more is outsourced. Most I know and work with have no concept that they will have to save for retirement but are still dealing with student loan debt. They will work their whole life paying SS to the baby boomers who screwed the country's finances. They will reach their 50s right about the time AI and robots take away even more jobs. They are F'd.

Yea they are fragile, can't take constructive or any criticism but were raised in schools that did open circle by parents who had them over scheduled. No generation in history has had to deal with social media the way they have in their formative years. I think it has wired their brains differently. There was a theory that people stopped mentally maturing (growing up) at the age they became famous. Become famous at 13 and spend the rest of your life acting like a 13 year old. I truly believe that social media has messed up the kids brains and kept them from maturing like past generations. I see so much depression, anxiety etc... and so many of them don't seem to know that the people's lives (friends, coworkers etc...) they see on Instagram, is not real and they compare themselves to impossible standards.

I think the millennials have a raw deal.

I'm not sure where the "cant take criticism" really comes from except as a self-perpetuating meme - but otherwise I think your post is a very interesting overview.

I judge "how millenial are you" by "how prevalent was texting / social media / smart phone" during your high school / college years? Not a perfect test - but having lived it, it's what I have to report back to you.

I have 3 kids ... 2 of them early millenials and I thank God daily they do not fit the label. They both are hard working and self sufficient and not very political. My youngest is 18 which is millenial by date but he's so young and unpolitical he's all set for now.

Almost all of the millennials I know are hard workers. IT, Nurses, etc.

I think this all goes back to what Jangles is talking about - essentially confusing young 20 somethings as being representative of all millennials. If you weren't a lazy, disinterested piece of **** when you were in your early 20s then good for you, you were probably an idiot like me who didn't wrap it up.

I'm not sure where the "cant take criticism" really comes from except as a self-perpetuating meme - but otherwise I think your post is a very interesting overview.

I judge "how millenial are you" by "how prevalent was texting / social media / smart phone" during your high school / college years? Not a perfect test - but having lived it, it's what I have to report back to you.

I deal with a ton of them in the workplace and giving a simple performance review often ends in tears or utter shock that they are not perfectly rated. I am not kidding about this either. I will never forget the day one gave a presentation about increasing psychic income to an incredibly $ bottom line organisation because they were losing $ and looking at layoffs. Many of them seem to think the number of likes is as good as or even more important than the $ bottom line that pays their salary.

Almost all of the millennials I know are hard workers. IT, Nurses, etc.

I think this all goes back to what Jangles is talking about - essentially confusing young 20 somethings as being representative of all millennials. If you weren't a lazy, disinterested piece of **** when you were in your early 20s then good for you, you were probably an idiot like me who didn't wrap it up.
This made me feel like we have more in common than I thought.

I deal with a ton of them in the workplace and giving a simple performance review often ends in tears or utter shock that they are not perfectly rated. I am not kidding about this either. I will never forget the day one gave a presentation about increasing psychic income to an incredibly $ bottom line organisation. Many of them seem to think the number of likes is as good as or even more important than the $ bottom line that pays their salary.

Blame previous generations

I was born in '88, but even when I was in school the massive anti-bullying, everybody is great, don't hurt feelings movement was getting started. We were raised to speak up if anything made us uncomfortable and somebody would fix it because you should never feel bad ever.

We didn't raise ourselves. So thanks for that Gen X/baby boomers

When you ***** about a generation, just remember that they are a product of earlier generations + societal/technological changes.

In other words, if you're going to ***** at the kids, remember to dole out plenty of blame to the adults who raised them.

Blame previous generations

I was born in '88, but even when I was in school the massive anti-bullying, everybody is great, don't hurt feelings movement was getting started. We were raised to speak up if anything made us uncomfortable and somebody would fix it because you should never feel bad ever.

We didn't raise ourselves. So thanks for that Gen X/baby boomers
I am not going to disagree at all. Lets also add in the massive numbers that were medicated for ADHD etc... In my son's elementary school (top rated in the state) 40% of the kids were medicated in his 4th grade class. I know because the teacher told me every one that was while trying to convince me to medicate my son so he would get higher MCAS scores. Honest to god this is what she said.

You actually think you're better? That's cute.

We are...but thanks for playing. We are the tweeners that look at the old hippies and say wow...and look at the new ****ers and say what the ****?

I will say this now though, I look in the mirror everyday, and I'm not cute...but carry on.

I have a 19 year old, who pisses me off a lot, with his sense of entilety, that he is completely unaware of, until of course, his mom and I remind him. With that said he has the entrepreneur bug. So for him, and he is political (not-liberal) raised in VA and chose to go to school in Springfield, MA.

I have hope that kids like him, will see through the garbage, come together and move forward.

You just described most of them. Whatever caricature you have in mind isn't really representative of anything. It's the same way with all generations. Most Gen Xers aren't ultra-disillusioned burnouts, most baby boomers weren't hippies, most people born in the 60s didn't spend the entire decade of their 20s doing endless lines of coke, etc. Same basic principle.

Every generation has a bunch of crappy people in it, because that's true of any group. But generalizing an entire group of people based on some exaggerated stereotype is rarely a good idea.

Last edited:

Do not fit the label of, what, exactly?

I see lots of stereotyping of millennials, and yet I see very few people offer a coherent, objective analysis of what, exactly, defines a millennial (besides the window of time in which they were born), and makes them supposedly so terrible.

I also question why being especially politically involved would be a particularly bad thing...?

I have a 19 year old, who pisses me off a lot, with his sense of entilety, that he is completely unaware of, until of course, his mom and I remind him. With that said he has the entrepreneur bug. So for him, and he is political (not-liberal) raised in VA and chose to go to school in Springfield, MA.

I have hope that kids like him, will see through the garbage, come together and move forward.

Every generation has a lot of good people and a lot of bad people.

Except the boomers. They're pretty much all crap.

You're responsible for grunge and hip hop. That alone exiles you to the last row of the balcony.

My bad sir...but I am listening to a whole lotta rosie right now... we are not all bad sir.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes