PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chung was below average in coverage but strong against the run and played well in the box. If the plan is for him to start at SS, I believe the coverage ability of our corners and McCourty will more than make up for the coverage deficient Chung

I think I made a joke about resigning Chung and Meriweather to relive the "epic" 2009/2010 backfield. Ugh, I didn't know part of the comment would be taken seriously.

Everyone, repeat after me

"Pass completed for a first down. Patrick Chung was in the area."

We might as well get in some practice saying it.

Let's repeat these instead.

"Pass deflected by Revis. Patrick Chung was in the area."

"Pass deflected by Browner. Patrick Chung was in the area."

"Pass deflected by Dennard. Patrick Chung was in the area."

Please tell me this is a f******ing joke! :mad:

Everybody wang Chung tonight he is back.

Immediate Reaction:

tumblr_inline_n2h7txRH4x1rk16z8.gif

But:

tumblr_inline_mkwndr8fLb1qlm9u3.gif

Chung was below average in coverage but strong against the run and played well in the box. If the plan is for him to start at SS, I believe the coverage ability of our corners and McCourty will more than make up for the coverage deficient Chung

Thank you for making some sense of this otherwise curious, if harmless, acquisition. This actually makes some modicum of sense.

I would've rather re-signed Gregory, though.

An offseason that started with a bang has been followed by some borderline terrible ideas. Chung sucked when he was here. He sucked even harder in Philly. Does the team think that he's somehow not going to suck now that he's back here? Hopefully they still have plans to draft a safety.

An offseason that started with a bang has been followed by some borderline terrible ideas. Chung sucked when he was here. He sucked even harder in Philly. Does the team think that he's somehow not going to suck now that he's back here? Hopefully they still have plans to draft a safety.

As ripatsfans said above thread - he is OK in the run game, and we now have a safety who can cover a lot of range in McCourty. So there's that. It's a legitimate thought.

But, let's look at it this way: he's better than Wilson & Ebner. He's 3rd on the depth chart right now.

This was always the frustration with Chung though. He had hits like that in him, but they were too few and far between. His physicality was a big tease because he was often too late to the play to make that kind of impact.

In all seriousness, I'm not that upset by the signing unless I see some weird contract numbers. If he can be cut in camp without penalty, then this is nothing but competition for Tavon's spot as "Special teamer who's a Safety in name only".

I thought the head-scratching decisions were reserved for the 2nd round of the draft....:bricks:

I guess the Pats got uncomfortable with being winners in free agency. I don't understand the move period.

FFS, seriously? But why? This is another one of those deals that I just have to hope has zero/negligible guaranteed money, so that if/when he continues to suck in training camp and is cut, it won't be a big deal.

I'd rather have Gregory back. If we're going to take an undersized safety who's better in run support than pass defense, I'd prefer to have the one who is bad-but-not-abysmal in coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News