PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots | Arbitrator dismisses Branch's grievance

Status
Not open for further replies.
SVN said:
"Feerick did not give a reason why, but said he would not grant relief to either party"
what does this mean ?

It means that Feerick looked at Branch and said, "***getaboutit. Now get out of here, ya knucklehead."

Last edited:
This whole thing is such a joke...almost as ridiculous as T.O. last year.
this guy Chayut should be sued for malpractice by DB

marcus said:
This whole thing is such a joke...almost as ridiculous as T.O. last year.
this guy Chayut should be sued for malpractice by DB

Could not agree more, this guy is a moron and have said from the onset did not think that this was grievable. Deion is driving this guy and should not be exhonerated for his agents actions.

Pujo said:
The grievance hearing never took place, only the jurisdiction hearing did (via conference call), so "revoked" in this case seems to be the equivilant of "dismissed with prejudice" (meaning it's been dismissed and can't be refiled).

There is only one Special Master (that person is named and supervised by the Federal District Court that dealt with the NFL anti-trust case prior to the CBA being signed in the 90's). Decisions of the Master can be appealed to District Court (and ultimately to Circuit Court and even the Supreme Court), so this will now drag out, which is what the Pats want (their hand won't be forced anytime soon).
Thanks for the information on the Special Master. I hadn't seen that detail before and answers some questions that I had.

Out of curiosity, do you have information as to whether an arbitrator's decision is final and binding or if there is any appeal process available ??

Thanks.

Perhaps that's why Borges's article seems to have been removed from the site. Your link worked...but if you go to the globe's site it doesn't have the article you mention. It's kind of odd.

patsox23 said:
I don't get why this has to be dragged out until September 14th! I thought this was due to be settled by Saturday. How busy is this "Special Master" and, what, they can't have someone who's a bit more available? Good Lord.

Special Master? Isn't that like the head of the KKK? So this is a racial thing...

Or was that Grand Master? No, wait! It's Grand Wizard. Nevermind.

alexhb said:
Perhaps that's why Borges's article seems to have been removed from the site. Your link worked...but if you go to the globe's site it doesn't have the article you mention. It's kind of odd.
It seems to be working fine for me... anyway, here is a cut-and-paste of the Borges article:

Branch hearings move slowly

The arbitrator in the Deion Branch case denied the NFL’s motion that the mediator had no jurisdiction in Branch’s dispute with the New England Patriots today and then informed both sides he would not be available to hear the first of Branch’s two claims against the team on Saturday as originally expected.

The discovery and deposition hearings are set for Monday and Tuesday in the second grievance procedure and will be argued before special master Stephen Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania Law School next Thursday and Friday. This testimony effectively postponed the original grievance hearing on the issue if the Patriots violated an agreement to trade Branch for at least a week.

Arbitrator John Feerick of Fordham Law School will likely not hear arguments on that issue until after Burbank rules on Branch’s second claim, a non-injury grievance in which he asserts the Patriots failed to bargain in good faith with him. The NFL has contended filing the two grievances on what they feel is essentially the same issue was an effort on the part of Branch’s legal team to take two bites at the apple.

Discovery, in which the two sides must produce any written material or other facts involved in the case, may be the key element because while the CBA prohibits any oral agreement from altering a written player contract faxes, e-mails and even a team press release announcing that Branch was being given a week to try and trade himself -- a right he did not have under the terms of his original contract without tampering penalties against any opposing teams who spoke to him -- could become a stumbling block for the league and the Patriots.

However, if such contact makes clear the Patriots’ had established a high asking price or states that they retain their right to accept or reject any trade it would likely be a high hurdle for Branch to overcome. It is expected under an expedited hearing request, that Burbank will rule quickly once the two sides complete their arguments a week from tomorrow. A ruling could come down as early as the following day or it might drag out over the season’s second weekend.

Losing the motion to make two grievance claims combined is not a sign of how the case will ultimately be decided but it is a reminder to both sides that once an arbitration or legal process begins, control leaves the hands of the disputing parties and is vested others who may see your argument in a far different light than you do.

Burbank was the special master in such a case in 2004 and is believed to have been ready to rule in favor of Terrell Owens in his dispute with the San Francisco 49ers. Before Burbank declared Owens a free agent the league stepped in and brokered a three-cornered trade between the 49ers, Eagles and Ravens that cost the Ravens Owens’ services after they had completed both a trade agreement with San Francisco and what they thought was a satisfactory contract with Owens. Before the trade was finalized Owens decided he preferred to play for the Eagles and filed a grievance arguing that he had followed the requirements of his contract in San Francisco and should be declared a free agent.

Unexpectedly, Burbank gave clear signs he was ready to rule for Owens but before he issued that order the three-way deal that sent a late round pick to the Ravens and Eagles’ defensive Brandon Whiting to the 49ers was made and Owens landed in Philadelphia without ever having him challenge the system

alexhb said:

Nope, it's still there.

Transcript of arbitrator's decision:

"Mr. Chayut, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no money, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Mooch said:
Nope, it's still there.

It's actually on the front page of the Globe site not on the Patriots page of the sports section.

alexhb said:
Fascinating. Thanks for finding that out !!

QuiGon said:
It seems to be working fine for me... anyway, here is a cut-and-paste of the Borges article:

Branch hearings move slowly

The arbitrator in the Deion Branch case denied the NFL’s motion that the mediator had no jurisdiction in Branch’s dispute with the New England Patriots today and then informed both sides he would not be available to hear the first of Branch’s two claims against the team on Saturday as originally expected.

The discovery and deposition hearings are set for Monday and Tuesday in the second grievance procedure and will be argued before special master Stephen Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania Law School next Thursday and Friday. This testimony effectively postponed the original grievance hearing on the issue if the Patriots violated an agreement to trade Branch for at least a week.

Arbitrator John Feerick of Fordham Law School will likely not hear arguments on that issue until after Burbank rules on Branch’s second claim, a non-injury grievance in which he asserts the Patriots failed to bargain in good faith with him. The NFL has contended filing the two grievances on what they feel is essentially the same issue was an effort on the part of Branch’s legal team to take two bites at the apple.

Discovery, in which the two sides must produce any written material or other facts involved in the case, may be the key element because while the CBA prohibits any oral agreement from altering a written player contract faxes, e-mails and even a team press release announcing that Branch was being given a week to try and trade himself -- a right he did not have under the terms of his original contract without tampering penalties against any opposing teams who spoke to him -- could become a stumbling block for the league and the Patriots.

However, if such contact makes clear the Patriots’ had established a high asking price or states that they retain their right to accept or reject any trade it would likely be a high hurdle for Branch to overcome. It is expected under an expedited hearing request, that Burbank will rule quickly once the two sides complete their arguments a week from tomorrow. A ruling could come down as early as the following day or it might drag out over the season’s second weekend.

Losing the motion to make two grievance claims combined is not a sign of how the case will ultimately be decided but it is a reminder to both sides that once an arbitration or legal process begins, control leaves the hands of the disputing parties and is vested others who may see your argument in a far different light than you do.

Burbank was the special master in such a case in 2004 and is believed to have been ready to rule in favor of Terrell Owens in his dispute with the San Francisco 49ers. Before Burbank declared Owens a free agent the league stepped in and brokered a three-cornered trade between the 49ers, Eagles and Ravens that cost the Ravens Owens’ services after they had completed both a trade agreement with San Francisco and what they thought was a satisfactory contract with Owens. Before the trade was finalized Owens decided he preferred to play for the Eagles and filed a grievance arguing that he had followed the requirements of his contract in San Francisco and should be declared a free agent.

Unexpectedly, Burbank gave clear signs he was ready to rule for Owens but before he issued that order the three-way deal that sent a late round pick to the Ravens and Eagles’ defensive Brandon Whiting to the 49ers was made and Owens landed in Philadelphia without ever having him challenge the system

Wow!

ESPN's report and Borges's are TOTALLY different. Night and Day

I hate to say it but I think Borges's explanation will be the correct one. I hope I'm wrong.

QuiGon said:
Different take from Borges. His article does not seem to be 100% consistent with what is reported in this thread. I am going to go reread it to see if I can better decipher it...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/09/07/branch_hearings_move_slowly/

Please do and I'll look forward to your opinion because Wrong's article seems to be exactly the opposite of the ESPN piece. ESPN says at least one of the grievances has been dismissed while Wrong indicates that it's just been postponed.

Dragda said:
Special Master? Isn't that like the head of the KKK? So this is a racial thing...

Or was that Grand Master? No, wait! It's Grand Wizard. Nevermind.

Forgive me, i found this post to be in very bad taste.

Borges' role in this is to act as the mouthpiece for Chayut and Branch. Chayut probably wrote the Borges piece.

Isn't it amazing how Borges/Chayut makes repeated reference to T.O., but fails to mention that his agent had screwed up and missed the deadline to file for voiding the contract under the language of the contract itself.

The two situations aren't even remotely similar.

Last edited:
I second the appeal to have one of our lawyer friends explain Borges's piece and how different it is from the ESPN piece. I assume Borges has it right, in this case.

patsox23 said:
I second the appeal to have one of our lawyer friends explain Borges's piece and how different it is from the ESPN piece. I assume Borges has it right, in this case.

Third it. Borges' is less simplistic so more than likely closer to the truth.

Hoodie said:
Please do and I'll look forward to your opinion because Wrong's article seems to be exactly the opposite of the ESPN piece. ESPN says at least one of the grievances has been dismissed while Wrong indicates that it's just been postponed.
The two articles are quite different, and I don't know what to believe. Both ESPN and Borges have a reputation for getting stories wrong almost as often as they get them right.... ESPN especially tends to go with breaking news as soon as they get it, truth be damned...

FWIW, I always considered September 14 and the ruling of the Special Master to be the most important part of this whole grievance process, so I am not sure today's news really means much of anything anyway.

patsox23 said:

Why would you assume Borges is right?

Borges is basically saying that the arbitrator had a conference call with the two parties and then told them today that his schedule had changed and he now too busy on Saturday and didn't know when his schedule would allow him to hear the "oral promise" greivance. That makes no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes