PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots allow Brandon Browner to explore value around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is that going to be the default response to any critique, no matter how minor, of the team going forward?
Sources close to patsfans posters' way of thinking are reporting that it's a "real possibility."

Don't want to lose Browner a second is the only thing I would be OK with.
My guess is they would rather trade him then see him in the Meadowlands.

Was unaware that he could not restructure until healthy, makes more sense now why we haven't heard from him.
This was Miguel's tweet :

[email protected] @patscap · 2h 2 hours ago
Mayo's contract cannot be redone while injured. When Signing a contract a player certifies that he is healthy enough to play football

Expect Eagles to be all over this.
Or Falcons.

Huh? What benefit to the Pats is it to let Browner "figure out what his market is." I'll tell you what his market is - at least a 50% raise. We bought low last year, and CBs are making crazy money right now.

If the Patriots are seriously toying with the idea of releasing Browner, it's because they are about to invest in Revis, and don't want to allocate too much cap space to one position.

I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't pick up the option but I guess I could live with it if it is the difference between signing Revis or not. After seeing what Maxwell/Flowers are reportedly getting, 4.8m sounds like great value for Browner. He brings a toughness and physicality that the defense needs so hopefully they can work something out and keep him around.
Especially in the back end of the D. No other DB on this team brings the toughness and attitude that he brings.

He should but his personality is great for our defense, I definitely don't want to lose him, but he should net us a half decent pick if we let him go.

It could also help open up space for someone like say -- Andre Johnson on the offense (Disclaimer, this is my first time mentioning him I believe, lol)?

I'd rather let go of Amendola to get Johnson

He should but his personality is great for our defense, I definitely don't want to lose him, but he should net us a half decent pick if we let him go.

It could also help open up space for someone like say -- Andre Johnson on the offense (Disclaimer, this is my first time mentioning him I believe, lol)?
Q: What do you do if you loose a starting CB who's only hitting the cap for $5 mil?

A: Add an aging WR as your 4th or 5th receiving option for $5-6 mil.

The only thing that makes sense is a trade. I wouldn't support it at all but it makes far more sense than trying to squeeze him.

Actually, that makes no sense at all. Why would they let Browner explore his FA value if they were going to trade him? Truth is, SINCE his value is so much higher (this insane year) than his current cap hit/contract, the Pats don't need him to know what he's worth AT ALL, as other teams already do. So if they were trading him, they'd trade him - poof, see ya!

But how about this: they owe Browner 4.8 this year and next, with NONE of it guaranteed. So they go to him for a restructure, maybe to add a year, and Browner agrees in principle, but wants a better idea of his market. So he won't renegotiate unless they let him poke around.

So they do. Seems fair, and if he wants substantially more in a restructure, they just keep him under current terms.

EDIT: hwc got it up thread.

I haven't looked at the draft a whole lot this year, I'm still enjoying the random moments of "Holy ****, we won the Super Bowl!", but I do remember seeing quite a few lengthy CBs in this draft class.

I don't mind trading Browner if that means we lock up Revis for certain.

Huh? What benefit to the Pats is it to let Browner "figure out what his market is." I'll tell you what his market is - at least a 50% raise. We bought low last year, and CBs are making crazy money right now.

If the Patriots are seriously toying with the idea of releasing Browner, it's because they are about to invest in Revis, and don't want to allocate too much cap space to one position.

Why would they release him? With that contract, he'd be an easy trade target.

If losing Browner is the cost of keeping McCourty and Revis, that's an exchange you make without hesitation. I thought that last week, and definitely still think it now.

Q: What do you do if you loose a starting CB who's only hitting the cap for $5 mil?

A: Add an aging WR as your 4th or 5th receiving option for $5-6 mil.

Is there an option to replace the starting CB with another play near his caliber for under 8-10m? I'm saying that if we lose him, upgrading our WR spot definitely couldn't hurt.

I also wouldn't mind the money going to Ayers (if he can actually play at the same time as Jones and Nink), another pass rusher, or a solid DT.

But I don't believe Browner needs to leave to afford Revis, just looking where the money could be use elsewhere, because it probably will NOT be on a replacement starting CB, they don't exist for Browner money.

Why on earth would we not pick up an option for 4.8 mil on a guy who is worth 7-8 mil on the open market. Browners contact was a steal. This is just lazy fricken reporting. This guy is a true number 2 corner and would be a 1 on a crap team like the jets.

He's limited in what he can do. It's definitely preferable to get everyone, but if it came down to "we can only keep 2 of McCourty, Revis, Browner", then Browner is clearly the guy that goes even if he costs a third-to-half as much as the other guys. McCourty and Revis are what make it possible to disguise the major flaws in his game, so if either of them go his value plummets.

Keep in mind, we've only seen him perform in the NFL in secondaries with an elite CB1 and an elite FS. Without that, I'm betting that he's a huge liability downfield. I'd rather we let some other team take that gamble, and pay us a draft pick for the privilege. If Byron Maxwell is worth the contract that he just got, then Browner on his contract has trade value.

With that contract it would seem like he would have a bit of trade value.
Could have a little to do with this :
Tom E. Curran retweeted
CSNNE.com ‏@CSNNE 29m29 minutes ago
There's a sense the @Patriots may sign Darrelle Revis today. But the clock is ticking. http://tinyurl.com/n3ewmwo @tomecurran #PatriotsTalk

Yeah, maybe the story is that Pats are allowing Browner to explore his TRADE value. His monetary value around the league is irrelevant. He's under contract, at a very good price. All the Pats have to do is pick up his option. And I doubt they would just give him a raise to "market value" just for s**ts & giggles.

But maybe they're super high on Butler. And the cap space from Browner would come in handy if the trade compensation makes it worth their while.

Or maybe I'm misreading this whole thread and situation. Then...nevermind :)

/Roseanne Rossannadanna

I don't mind trading Browner if that means we lock up Revis for certain.

Glad to hear that you don't mind trading Browner if we lock up Revis for certain. I don't mind trading Browner if it means we can lock up Revis for certain. Other things that I don't mind seeing if we can lockup Revis for certain: cutting about 14 other replaceable players on the roster, sacrificing my left testicle to god of NFL free agency, dropping leaflets all over a third world country to bluff them about an imminent attack, standing over the bloody corpse of a man whose eyes I just gouged out for the sole purpose of re-signing Revis (too far?- sorry.)

So yeah, I'm on board with trading Browner as well... if it means we can lock up Revis.

If losing Browner is the cost of keeping McCourty and Revis, that's an exchange you make without hesitation. I thought that last week, and definitely still think it now.

Agree 100%.

It will also be a huge bummer to lose Browner. Huge part of why we are raising #4.

HAS to mean we are making room/progress for revis...right!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe