PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots allow Brandon Browner to explore value around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rumor that both Florio and Howe have mentioned is that the Pats cut off negotiations with Revis yesterday, which is also when they told Browner to start looking around. If that rumor is true, then letting Browner go was done intentionally with the goal of moving past Revis. If letting a guy go was part of the plan, then you have to imagine there's more of that plan yet to come.

Browner worked so well on that D in part because of Revis playing man. The Pats knew that wasn't going to be a possibility and probably don't think Browner works as well in their older zone schemes. I think it's pretty clear we're counting on going back to our scheme pre-Revis and Browner and his penalties don't fit that.

Pure speculation on my part, but if I were one of the mediots I'd be quoting inside sources on my opinion to sound legit. LOL

A rumor that both Florio and Howe have mentioned is that the Pats cut off negotiations with Revis yesterday, which is also when they told Browner to start looking around. If that rumor is true, then letting Browner go was done intentionally with the goal of moving past Revis. If letting a guy go was part of the plan, then you have to imagine there's more of that plan yet to come.

I'm sure that Belichick has a plan. However, the situation regarding Browner seems straight forward. When belichick decided that Revis wouldn't be around, Browner was no longer worth his salary. Belichick will use the $21M a year in AAV somewhere else.

Of course, Browner's agent probably has been trying to set up meeting with the jets.

Of course, Browner's agent probably has been trying to set up meeting with the jets.
The Jets want nothing to do with him, they just over paid for Revis as it is.

A lot of people are forgetting that the jets took a corner #9 overall, just two seasons ago. Not to mention he's a big physical press corner. They don't need Browner!

Browner worked so well on that D in part because of Revis playing man. The Pats knew that wasn't going to be a possibility and probably don't think Browner works as well in their older zone schemes. I think it's pretty clear we're counting on going back to our scheme pre-Revis and Browner and his penalties don't fit that.

Pure speculation on my part, but if I were one of the mediots I'd be quoting inside sources on my opinion to sound legit. LOL

bend but don't break? hope toms scores 30+ and the defense doesn't **** the bed is back.
..also known as matt patricia tactics.

bend but don't break? hope toms scores 30+ and the defense doesn't **** the bed is back.
..also known as matt patricia tactics.

Sorta- I think if this season taught us anything it's that Patricia really does tailor the defense to the players on the roster. We don't know who is on the roster, mind you, but we know Revis, Sherman, and Talib are not. So bend but don't break is a probable outcome, I'd think. It's hard to play man in a throwing league- too few guys can do it.

When belichick decided that Revis wouldn't be around, Browner was no longer worth his salary.

I assume that 2 million roster bonus that would have been due yesterday is what prevented us from picking up the option and trading him + his affordable contract for a nice draft pick.

If there is something the Pats screwed up in terms of Browner is that they didn't look around earlier for a trade partner to get some kind of compensation instead of cutting him.

I am somewhat more upset about losing Browner and it has nothing to do with Revis(seen it coming). First, he seemed cheap and at times I thought his role was more important than Revis. When it came to matching up against physical freaks like Demaryious Thomas, Megatron, Julius Thomas, Chris Matthews, etc no one seemed to do it better than Brandon.

The Jets want nothing to do with him, they just over paid for Revis as it is.

A lot of people are forgetting that the jets took a corner #9 overall, just two seasons ago. Not to mention he's a big physical press corner. They don't need Browner!

Agreed, though you're overlooking one thing: the Jets aren't a logical team.

They'll probably load up on corners to make up for years past and declare themselves Super Bowl champions at the end of this month.

They can kiss the rings, especially the newest one.

Why in the world would they not trade him???? At least get a pick to stop a little bit of the bleeding, no

I never loose faith despite whatever chaos comes during FA periods or any storms we are weathering as fans but they do some odd poker moves......it is what it is but its hard to question sustained excellence

I'm actually anxious to see what the plan is because they now have plenty of room to maneuver. Plus they still have a lot of other in house cap space to clear out if necessary

Exactly...going back to cover 2.

The only conclusion I can come to when losing the #1 and #2 CB on the team is a change to more pressure on defense.

Pittsburgh & Baltimore got by for years with an elite Safety, a strong pass rush and nothing at CB. Seattle put any old body out there opposite Sherman and let the front 7 hide them a bit (obviously didn't work in the Super Bowl!)

Without Revis, or a legit CB, I want nothing to do with Browner.

The only conclusion I can come to when losing the #1 and #2 CB on the team is a change to more pressure on defense.

Pittsburgh & Baltimore got by for years with an elite Safety, a strong pass rush and nothing at CB. Seattle put any old body out there opposite Sherman and let the front 7 hide them a bit (obviously didn't work in the Super Bowl!)

The Ravens have had solid corner play through those years.

Maybe we like the young guys coach Ryan to look for the ball he has all the tools, Dennard is fiesty and tough, Arrington shuts down the slot.
Butlers instincts and speed are great for a zone based defense.
Swanson can make plays, what worries me is now we are playing against Chung's strengths again and rethinking the contract now.

How the feck is Browner's option not picked-up, but the bloated salaries of Arrington, Mayo & Cannon
remain untouched?
And to those not bemoaning the likely loss of Browner, have ye forgotten this team's utterly abysmal
record drafting CBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye