PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots allow Brandon Browner to explore value around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned to be patient and not rush to judgment. But this one is hard for me.

Me too.
No ChickenLittle here but I love what Browner brought to this D. I'd missed the attitude WITH production for several years.
Hope this is just some positioning beyond my current understanding.

Damn, if we come out of this without Browner and Revis we now need to find 2 more CBs

I'm not too upset about this(predicted this might happen last summer). I didn't think that Browner was that great. I think he was severely overrated by fans because he hits very hard. Those players tend to get very overrated.

Not saying that I didn't like what he brought. But I think he's extremely dependant on having a great #1 cb and great FS. But he was a very nice tool to have when opponents had a tall physical receiver. But people saying they rather have Browner than Revis are crazy(yes I've seen people here say that). Revis is so much better that it's not even close. He can cover every type of receiver, Browner is pretty limited to big guys where he is good.

So, Browner needs Revis... no Revis = cut Browner, keep Browner = Revis to be signed?

Me too.
No ChickenLittle here but I love what Browner brought to this D. I'd missed the attitude WITH production for several years.
Hope this is just some positioning beyond my current understanding.
No question that there is some crazy @hit going on.

I think he's extremely dependant on having a great #1 cb and great FS. But he was a very nice tool to have when opponents had a tall physical receiver. But people saying they rather have Browner than Revis are crazy(yes I've seen people here say that). Revis is so much better that it's not even close. He can cover every type of receiver, Browner is pretty limited to big guys where he is good.

I figured the only reason why they'd play hardball with Browner was if they knew they had a deal with Revis, and needed to free up some cap space. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I think Marinlik is right. Without Revis under contract at Browner-option-time, the Pats felt they could not take a $5 million risk on a corner they (probably) feel would be a white elephant without both a #1 corner opposite him and a centerfield safety over top.

Without Revis, in other words, it would be better to go with two mediocre cover corners at ~$1.5 million each than one mediocre corner and $5 million Browner needing constant safety supervision.

I myself thought McCourty being re-signed meant the Pats would keep Browner, but the only other thing I can think of for this situation would be if Browner asked for his release.

I cannot understand how they could think that Browner was not worth 5 million. He was the guy that brought the physicality to the defense...without him, they played kind of soft.

I think Marinlik is right. Without Revis under contract at Browner-option-time, the Pats felt they could not take a $5 million risk on a corner they (probably) feel would be a white elephant without both a #1 corner opposite him and a centerfield safety over top.

Without Revis, in other words, it would be better to go with two mediocre cover corners at ~$1.5 million each than one mediocre corner and $5 million Browner needing constant safety supervision.

I myself thought McCourty being re-signed meant the Pats would keep Browner, but the only other thing I can think of for this situation would be if Browner asked for his release.
I wouldnt be resigned to the fact that the Pats are shopping at Target for CBs. Just yet.

I would assume that the Patriots would have tried to shop him around, right? After all, he did have 2 years left on his contract. So 31 other teams wouldn't trade for him, what does that say about him and/or his contract?

I cannot understand how they could think that Browner was not worth 5 million. He was the guy that brought the physicality to the defense...without him, they played kind of soft.
Yeah, I don't like this at all. The way it stands now, we lose both our starting CBs.

I would assume that the Patriots would have tried to shop him around, right? After all, he did have 2 years left on his contract. So 31 other teams wouldn't trade for him, what does that say about him and/or his contract?
It says they figured he was going to become a free agent.

Just what happens when you cap number is stretched, The spent the farm on getting #4 SB and now you got to pay the piper.

The only thing that's blowing my mind about this is why you would let someone walk away who obviously has some trade value. Browner at under 5/year with 0 guaranteed? Got to be worth something to someone - draft pick, young prospect? Something?

So they either have a wink-wink with Browner to bring him back depending on Revis or someone might have screwed up here.

Browner is going to get big time paid. Wouldnt be surprised to see him get 10.

Browner is going to get big time paid. Wouldnt be surprised to see him get 10.

He'll be 31 and, while a unique player, he's prone to penalties and needs to be on the sidelines against certain types of wide receivers. If some team threw $10m at him, I'd laugh.

It says they figured he was going to become a free agent.

When you say "he" do you mean Browner because he was under the Patriot's control for 2 years unless I'm missing something. Are you saying that he couldn't be traded? I'm pretty sure he could have been traded but if I'm wrong that's fine.

So if he can be traded why didn't any other team want him at his current compensation if he was a "steal"?

My homerism is being tested today. I think I have enough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back