PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots acquire OT Vederian Lowe from Vikings

If you put any value in PFF scores, he was the Vikings top lineman in their last two exhibition games.

Yes, and Wheatley graded out even better in the Browns' preseason. So the Pats are hoping to buy low here, exactly what they should be doing in a League (and draft) that is short on OT talent. The odds are that neither of these guys would have lasted to the Pats' place in the waiver wire, and picks later than the 3rd round have about a 10% chance of being a good NFL player, so this is good value.

You would think that a really good OL coach would be more sought after but Popovich is at a low major in Troy State. I have no idea how good he is but clearly Klemm has a lot more pedigree. What do the Popovich backers know that the rest of the football world doesn't?
Cole Popovich is now with the Houston Texans, as assistant OL coach.

What we know is when he was here, the line was better.

I bet you wear a mask alone in your car
I bet you think it was all made up.. huh.. please pal.. don't go here. There is enough hate in the world already.

While I wish Klemm could make lemonade out of lemons... He's trying to coach up a squad of mid-round picks and washed up veteran journey-men. Andrews/Onwenu/Strange should be fine in the interior but there is not one player on the roster that I think can be an above average NFL tackle (prior to these trades). Sure, the acquisitions should help but its a big head-scratcher that BB thought the original group was adequate.

Klemm is no Dante .... But Dante also had guys like Matt Light/Nate Solder/Sebastian Vollmer/Marcus Cannon at Tackle positions. That helps tremendously. I just can't think of a year where Dante had to go into the season with such a bad group of talent at Tackle positions.

Unfortunately, I think the failure/success of this group is going to be highly dependent on what we can get out of Trent Brown... and that scares me.
I do not given Adrian Klemm the benefit of the doubt... No question about that... He ran the steelers O Line a few years back - and they were terrible. I brought this up when he was hired here and was poo-poo'ed about how much better off we are going to be with him... I have yet to see anything remotely close to a functional line - and thats on him. Period.

Bump. I really liked that guy. He was shaping up to be Dante’s successor… he’s back in the league. An assistant with the Texans.
Me too.

I fixed your post.

See how much better it is without the stupid ass commentary? Direct and to the point.

Probably a topic for another day or thread, but well-run teams, teams with a competent GM, do NOT have these sorts of fundamental problems at this point in the season. This mess - not just the OL, but weak starters and backups in multiple positions - has been several years in the making. We can rearrange the options all we like - see Morse's recent article - but we are burdened with chicken***, trying to make chicken salad. To borrow an expression from Bill's old mentor, sometimes you need to blame the guy buying the groceries.

I think Wheatley steps in and instantly is better than either Reiff or McDermott.
So your saying the guy that was never good enough to take a single NFL regular season snap, was not drafted because of a lack of talent and has had multiple position changes is a better T then Reiff and McDermott. Ok

Isnt it a little late for these moves? Usually the obtain all the stuff to throw against the wall should be done with enough time to see what sticks. How do you even know what you have with these newly acquired tackles by Tuesday

So your saying the guy that was never good enough to take a single NFL regular season snap, was not drafted because of a lack of talent and has had multiple position changes is a better T then Reiff and McDermott. Ok
I think we're going to find out real quick.

I don't watch non Patriots preseason games, but the folks that do so I don't have to (and supported by Browns beat guys observations) all seem to be impressed with Wheatley's play this preseason, by their accounts he has played better than both McDermott and Reiff at tackle. Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if he graduates from his project phase and plays significant snaps this year, especially when considering the competition.

Good thing is there are alot of great posters on here and I consider you to be one of them!
thanks For that. I don’t always agree with you, but your posts are always good even when we don’t agree. So I really appreciate that.

Without going into the vax debate, my problem with him is that he hurt the team when he chose to assert his personal opinion in defiance of league rules.

it calls into question his reliability. How will he handle it if he decides he disagrees with Kraft or BB or the training or nutrition staffs? He put himself above his employer once, so I wouldn’t hire him to see if he does it a second time.
You're mad because he felt getting the jab wasn't a good decision for him?

Nobody should be forced to get it.

Last edited:
Vederian Lowe has freakishly long arms but is a stiff as an athlete. I have no clue what kind of athlete Wheatley is because he didn't workout exiting college, but based on reports he's a good athlete which got his foot in the door. His tape also reflects that, he looks a lot like Sow.

Two weeks from now one of these guys will likely be cut or placed on the practice squad, I'd guess Lowe.
I expect they’ll both stick at least until Reiff or Anderson is available.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back