PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 53-man Roster Projection 3.0: Several Vets Face the Axe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a second. There WAS a day when Lazar thought Skipper's technique was a mess. Is it as bad NOW!

Let'not forget that play CAN improve. Brady is proving that mantra year after year at 42. While not perfect Skipper has been adequate in two practice games. Too many pressures, but not sacks and he hasn't sucked. Maybe his technique has improved?

Please don't let ONE comment label a player forever. On THAT day, Skipper's technique was bad. It doesn't mean it will be bad forever.

Wait a second. I'm not letting one comment label a player forever...that's why I said "It's been mentioned several times by others"....and I believe either Kyed or Cox said it as well....I know it's been said by others.

He has great size and athleticism but if his technique is STILL bad...that's a problem for him.

Crossen has surprised me lately with his DB skills. I think he makes it.

Yeah I thought for sure Dawson would have been the better player...but your right...Crossen is playing better and I think he makes it as well.

This is where I am right now before any hard cut downs. In Bold are my predictions

QB (3) T.Brady, B.Hoyer, J.Stidham
RB (5) S.Michel, J.White, D.Harris, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
WR (5) J.Edelman, N.Harry, J.Gordon, J.Meyers, P. Dorsett
TE (2) M.LaCosse, R.Izzo (depending on health and other issues maybe just 1)
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras/J.Ferentz (1 of these 2)
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, H.Froholdt
T (4-3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, D.Skipper/T.StLouis/C.Croston (keep 1-2 of these 3)
DE (6-5) M.Bennett, D.Wise, C.Winovich, J.Simon, S.Calhoun, D.Rivers
DT (5-4) A.Butler, L.Guy, D.Shelton, M.Pennel, B.Cowart
ILB(2-1) J.Bentley, E.Roberts,
OLB(3) D.Hightower, J.Collins, K.VanNoy
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, J.Williams
SS (1) P.Chung
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
STs (10-8) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona, M Slater, T. Brooks, N. Ebner, B. Bolden, B. Berrios, B. King, K. Crossen (Keep 8-9 of these 10)

At this point I assume Thomas and Cajuste start the year on the NFI/PUP. Surprise cut/trade candidates are Burkhead and Roberts. Dorsett COULD maybe be cut but I don't see it as realistic at thi point.

The more I think about it the more I think we trade Roberts. His STs value is average at best and I don't see how he ever get on the field.

As for Rivers I hope we can stash him due to injuey If not we sadly need to let him walk. Winovich has shown more in a single preseason game than Rivers has in his entire career and when you add him in with Simon there just isn't room for 6 guys. Calhoun gets the nod for his superior camp.

Burkhead is kept for now due to Sony's history and lack of trade interest for an oft injured RB back up. I think he goes next year after they see Harris in real games and are comfortable.

I still have Pennel making it. I know that will piss some people off. Cowart hopefully makes the PS. He hasn't made that impossible. IF he did he wouldn't be getting cut.

When it comes to OL I put Skipper on for now as the 3rd OT and carry 8. No one they cut will be scooped up or you worry about losing. Stack the PS with OL help and let scar see who he can develop.

At DB Dawson sadly makes history. Crossen is let go as his STs while good isn't amazing, but I think he can be had on the PS potentially after he is bounced around. The argument to find a way to keep Crossen really comes down to how they deal with Tyreek Hill. KC will be back again and the Pats biggest threat. He did well with help on him and is one of the few NFL DBs who has the speed to keep up.

Best one I've seen in a while.

Burkhead is a lock. He carries a 2.5 million cap hit.

They only save 500K cutting him.

After Arrington i stoped thinking like* that. He was a starter and the savings was null and he was cut. I don't think they care about that. I do think they care about develop players at least one year and if they have a HUGE cap they don't part ways. But i do think they keep him.

Last edited:

QB (3) T.Brady**, B.Hoyer**, J.Stidham > I would love to trade Hoyer and keep another WR untill DT is ready
RB (4) S.Michel, J.White, D.Harris, R.Burkhead
FB (1) J.Develin
WR (6) J.Edelman, N.Harry, J.Gordon**, J.Meyers, M.Harris**, P.Dorsett**
TE (1) M.LaCosse
C (1) D.Andrews
G (4) S.Mason, J.Thuney**, T.Karras**, H.Froholdt
T (3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, D.Skipper**
DE (4) M.Bennett, C.Winovich, D.Wise, J.Simon
DT (5) L.Guy, M.Pennel, A.Butler**, B.Cowart, D.Shelton**
ILB (2) J.Bentley, E.Roberts**
OLB (3) D.Hightower, K.Van Noy**, J.Collins**
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Williams, J.Jackson, J.Jones**, J.McCourty
SS (2) P.Chung, T.Brooks
FS (2) D.McCourty**, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona
ST (4) M.Slater**, B.King, K.Crossen, B.Bolden

SUP (1) B.Watson**
IR (3) S.Calhoun**, Y.Cajuste, D. Rivers
PUP (2) C.Meredith**, D.Thomas**

**FREE AGENTS = 16
You can bring 2 guys from IR during the year. Calhoun will be one and if there is another surprise he can be the other one.

They have a lot of only STer guys and Cowart is a talent in a position of need ( they have 50% as FA next year). Ebner fights for a spot with Crossen and King, but he is the most expensive of them and missed a lot of time.

I don't agree with Skipper on the 53. It's been mentioned several times by others (including Lazar) that his technique is a mess. I'd rather keep St. Louis.
I’m hoping that a better tackle is released by another team at the final 53 cut that we pick up. We need a better swing tackle than Skipper.

He has a reputation as a very hard worker. Really fast. Technique had to be improved. I have Dawson on the roster ahead of him only because of draft pedigree.
All things being equal Crossen should make the team over Dawson. Dawson is terrible.

I would be fine with this roster, although I have a couple of nitpicks.

OFFENSE (23)

I agree with all of the bolded except that

1) I think that we need vet pickup at OT instead of Skipper, with Skipper and another OT on the PS
2) I have Kendricks instead of Izzo

DEFENSE (21) I add one

I'm fine with all the bolded

3) I have Roberts making the 53; I think we need him as a backup ILB. Absent injuries, the last couple of backup don't need to be expected to see the field. I would expect Roberts to be inactive, unless we were playing a very run oriented team.

SPECIAL TEAMS (8)
I agree with your bolded,
4) except for Berrios.

NOTES
5) Someone like Hoyer may be cut for a day so that we can put someone on in-season IR.
6) If Thomas is expected to be ready soon, he make make the 53.

This is where I am right now before any hard cut downs. In Bold are my predictions

RB (5) S.Michel, J.White, D.Harris, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
WR (5) J.Edelman, N.Harry, J.Gordon, J.Meyers, P. Dorsett
TE (2) M.LaCosse, R.Izzo (depending on health and other issues maybe just 1)
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras/J.Ferentz (1 of these 2)
T (4-3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, D.Skipper/T.StLouis/C.Croston (keep 1-2 of these 3)
DE (6-5) M.Bennett, D.Wise, C.Winovich, J.Simon, S.Calhoun, D.Rivers
DT (5-4) A.Butler, L.Guy, D.Shelton, M.Pennel, B.Cowart
ILB(2-1) J.Bentley, E.Roberts,
OLB(3) D.Hightower, J.Collins, K.VanNoy
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, J.Williams
SS (1) P.Chung
STs (10-8) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona, M Slater, T. Brooks, N. Ebner, B. Bolden, B. Berrios, B. King, K. Crossen (Keep 8-9 of these 10)

At this point I assume Thomas and Cajuste start the year on the NFI/PUP. Surprise cut/trade candidates are Burkhead and Roberts. Dorsett COULD maybe be cut but I don't see it as realistic at this point.

The more I think about it the more I think we trade Roberts. His STs value is average at best and I don't see how he ever get on the field.

As for Rivers I hope we can stash him due to injuey If not we sadly need to let him walk. Winovich has shown more in a single preseason game than Rivers has in his entire career and when you add him in with Simon there just isn't room for 6 guys. Calhoun gets the nod for his superior camp.

Burkhead is kept for now due to Sony's history and lack of trade interest for an oft injured RB back up. I think he goes next year after they see Harris in real games and are comfortable.

I still have Pennel making it. I know that will piss some people off. Cowart hopefully makes the PS. He hasn't made that impossible. IF he did he wouldn't be getting cut. Cowart at this point is my 54th player and could easily make it if things work out differently than i foresee.

When it comes to OL I put Skipper on for now as the 3rd OT and carry 8. No one they cut will be scooped up or you worry about losing. Stack the PS with OL help and let scar see who he can develop.

At DB Dawson sadly makes history. Crossen is let go as his STs while good isn't amazing, but I think he can be had on the PS potentially after he is bounced around. The argument to find a way to keep Crossen really comes down to how they deal with Tyreek Hill. KC will be back again and the Pats biggest threat. He did well with help on him and is one of the few NFL DBs who has the speed to keep up.

I have neither making the team. However, I could see Crossen winning a ST roster spot. The question with regard to Dawson is whether someone will give us a 6th; a 7th is more likely.

All things being equal Crossen should make the team over Dawson. Dawson is terrible.

Yeah I thought for sure Dawson would have been the better player...but your right...Crossen is playing better and I think he makes it as well.
Dawson is a scrub. I'll be surprised if he finds another landing spot after we release him.

Dawson is a scrub. I'll be surprised if he finds another landing spot after we release him.
He has been awful. He gave up another long pass on Saturday and didn’t look great at safety either. Another Gator bust.

I suppose this is the position of those who believe that special teamers aren't real players. Perhaps next will be expecting Cardona to be a backup OL.

Ebner is one of our best special teamers. When Slater and Ebner and Slater are our gunners, we are the best in the NFL.

Patriots roster breakdown: SS Nate Ebner

I’m out if Ebner makes this team

I suppose this is the position of those who believe that special teamers aren't real players. Perhaps next will be expecting Cardona to be a backup OL.

Ebner is one of our best special teamers. When Slater and Ebner and Slater are our gunners, we are the best in the NFL.

Patriots roster breakdown: SS Nate Ebner
We went out and signed Bolden and Brooks. STers who can play a position. Kept B. King and J. Jones whom both started out as STers. Still have guys like Slater and Develin. Not to mention our other db’s. So, I think we’ve got Ebner’s skill set covered.

One of reasons we lost home field in 2015 was because of a fumbled punt.
So, give me a guy like Berrios over Ebner too

We went out and signed Bolden and Brooks. STers who can play a position. Kept B. King and J. Jones whom both started out as STers. Still have guys like Slater and Develin. Not to mention our other db’s. So, I think we’ve got Ebner’s skill set covered.

One of reasons we lost home field in 2015 was because of a fumbled punt.
So, give me a guy like Berrios over Ebner too

And before Humber and McClellan arrived our ST unit was terrible (with Ebner). It is not like Ebner is Slater level so he can only play ST. I rather keep a guy like Cowart or Roberts instead of Ebner too. If that is the roster the only guy that 'can't' help on D is King (but i would keep him because he is good on ST and cheaper. Even Crossen can help.

RB (6) S.Michel, J.White, J.Develin, D.Harris, R.Burkhead, B.Bolden
WR (7) J.Edelman, J.Gordon, P.Dorsett, J.Meyers, N.Harry, M.Harris, M.Slater
TE (1) M.LaCosse
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
T (3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, D.Skipper
DE (4) M.Bennett, D.Wise, C.Winovich, J.Simon
DT (5) L.Guy, M.Pennel, A.Butler, D.Shelton, B.Cowart
ILB(2) J.Bentley, E.Roberts
OLB(4) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Collins, B.King
CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Williams, K. Crossen
SS (2) P.Chung, T.Brooks
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

And before Humber and McClellan arrived our ST unit was terrible (with Ebner). It is not like Ebner is Slater level so he can only play ST. I rather keep a guy like Cowart or Roberts instead of Ebner too.
Ebner was about 9 months removed from tearing his ACL at the beginning of last season, so he probably deserves the leeway that every other player gets early on in their ACL recovery.

Ebner was about 9 months removed from tearing his ACL at the beginning of last season, so he probably deserves the leeway that every other player gets early on in their ACL recovery.
Ebner is old. No guarantee he improves again

I think we might see 7 OL and 1 TE on initial 53. Can IR a couple of guys who might not be ready but can help later. Doubt if 8th OL and 2nd TE make gameday roster

I don't see going with 7OL. Good linemen are hard to come by, and the key ingredient in making an OL work is having continuity. Going with just starters and gameday backups is begging for trouble. If there are players they expect to make it to the PS, maybe they go with eight, but I don't see BB rolling the dice that way. After watching Detroit get steamrolled, I'm sure that MattyP is ready to pounce on any cuts, just to get players who have Dante's voice echoing in their ears. The swing tackle can also be a second tight end, so 7OL and 1 TE means not having a backup for multiple positions. That's not going to happen. There are going to be some tough cuts, but we can expect at least 8 OL and most likely 2 TE.

Just a hunch, but I think we may see some bigger names on the cut list. For example, if I was DMac, I wouldn't be counting on collecting that $9.5M this year. I wonder if he'd be willing to take what is brother is getting.

Yep, some bigger name will get cut. We never know who it will be, but it happens every year. Someone we fully expect to be part of the team is let go, while we all scratch our heads and the love the coach/hate the GM posts fly. The answer is always in the cap math, so DMac is a fair guess, although I won't go so far as to believe it.

I don't like 'losing' talented guys for a player that we already know the ceiling. He is a very nice Ster but Crossen made a few plays too and can contribute on D, same for Bolden. King is really good and like Ebner don't add nothing on D but only costs 60% of Ebner (Ebner and Slater combined cost 6M) and is almost the same player. They added Brooks that plays the same position and can contribute on D and is a very good STer. I really hope they don't cut Cowart, Roberts (improved a LOT last season) or another cheap upcoming guy for a bunch of only Sters. They can have a very very good ST unit and guys that can contribute both ways.

Yep, some bigger name will get cut. We never know who it will be, but it happens every year. Someone we fully expect to be part of the team is let go, while we all scratch our heads and the love the coach/hate the GM posts fly. The answer is always in the cap math, so DMac is a fair guess, although I won't go so far as to believe it.

All beat writers are saying that Harmon is in jeopardy. So i think DMac's job is safe. I don't think they will roll with Chung (coming from an injury) and Brooks (new to the system) on S and Harmon (having a rough camping) as backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes