PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2022 draft picks

I don't like taking a two down lineman whose only going to play 35% of the snaps in the 1st personally. Like Metchie a lot - good value at 54 but would be unlikely to help much in year one given his ACL tear.

My initial focus is corner or impact front 7 player in the 1st. Think we can find our WR in round 2 or later.

Pats should go defense, defense, defense with the first 3 picks. Offense has enough under-utilized new toys and no need at tackle with Trent Brown + Michael Onwenu.

Depending on how the draft flows they should be looking at: CB, ILB, and NT. If one of CB Gardner or NT Davis are somehow there at #21, I think the Pats need to take whoever falls.

Depending on how the draft flows they should be looking at: CB, ILB, and NT. If one of CB Gardner or NT Davis are somehow there at #21, I think the Pats need to take whoever falls.

I expect this draft to look a good bit different in April than it does now.

and I agree, if davis or Gardner is on the board at 21, we need to run that card up to the podium.

however, there is a better than average chance that both are off the board by 21.

i don’t know what position is our biggest need if those two are off the board, but bb can not afford to miss on this his pick.

I mentioned it in another thread and it bears mentioning here:

What the Patriots do in the 1st round will depend on what they decide to do with Michael Onwenu.

- If the Patriots decide that Onwenu is best suited for RT, then I see them going with the IDL in the 1st.
- If the Patriots decide that Onwenu is best suited for LG, then I see them going with OT in the first. Someone who could play either LT or RT.

The Pats have needs at RT, IDL, ILB, OLB, CB, FS, IOL. People clamoring for a "WR1" are forgetting how the game is played and where the biggest issues are on this team.

The Pats currently have 13.5M (or so) in Sal Cap space. So there is going to be a lot of stuff done to free up space.

They need: 17.5M space for Jackson.
They need 3.98M space for Meyers. (expected 2nd round tender).

Expect shuffling of contracts for Judon, Henry, and Smith. Also potentially Shaq Mason and Jon Jones.

Possible Contract redo for McCourty to prevent the entire 6.45M dead cap amount hitting this season.

Guys who could be cut to save money: Agholor, Van Noy, Guy, Godchaux.

I expect both Gunner and Jakobson to be resigned before tenders are needed.

With both Karras and Ferentz as UFA, the Patriots need an influx of better talent to back up Andrews at at the guard spaces. They ALSO could be in the market for an LOG if Onwenu is slotted as the RT going forward.

The Pats need someone who can play the slot if Jones goes down. Also, Jones is no spring chicken and entering the last year of a deal. So having someone behind him to develop is a must.

An outside corner is needed. A second outside corner will be needed if the unthinkable happens and the Pats let Jackson walk.

By March 8th, we should know the status of Jackson.

can’t they cut Wynn and save 10 million?

By March 8th, we should know the status of Jackson.

can’t they cut Wynn and save 10 million?
no, only via trade they would be saving the 10M

What can we expect for our first round pick:

a) the classic Belichick trade out of the first round
b) the stretch pick that draft analysts suggest could have been available at the Patriots next pick
c) a position that isn’t a need
d) a Div 2 player
Or the always fun…
e) “who the **** is that!”

b) the stretch pick that draft analysts suggest could have been available at the Patriots next pick
d) a Div 2 player
Or the always fun…
We need to turn this into Bingo (guess we need all the picks for that tho).

With Pittsburgh signing trubisky, there is a pretty good chance qb Willis will still be on the board at 21.

Could be an opportunity for bb to trade down,

So, with the "quieter" FA uptake so far , does this increase the chances that BB will trade down in the draft for more picks ?......or is it too soon to think this way.

d) a Div 2 player
Or the always fun…
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what position really isn’t a need for the team at this point? Hopefully QB. I’d say potentially safety and running back, but I’d note McCourty is only signed for one more year and will be 35 next season. At RB Harris will be a free agent after this year and when was the last time the Pats opened their wallets at this position? I do agree with the general view that these guys shouldn’t be drafted in the 1st round in today’s NFL and stars are found everywhere.

But that’s it. Every other position could use a blue chip talent. Some are more obvious than others, but for example I’d be very happy if they took an OT as long as the actual projection works out and he turns out to be a good player.

They got so many holes pretty much any position helps at this point. Didn’t help they created another by trading away Mason. Who knows? Maybe BB has seen enough of the young o-men that he truly believes he can duplicate the production. Really hoping he made the right call on that one.

At this point I’m in it for the team building process. Which ever direction they go whether its Oline, Dline, 2ndary, WR etc its gonna help as long as they make the right selection. Last years class was the best in years and it seems the scouting department did a great job so maybe something they can definitely duplicate. I’m happy Groh and Wolf are there. They seem to have a good handle so far.

The unprecedented success of this organization has warped a lot of fan’s expectations into thinking every year is rainbows, butterflies and unicorns. The simple fact is they are into year 2 of a true rebuild without the goat. He helped avoid 3 or 4 of these rebuilds over the last 20 years so all I can stress is patience and enjoy the upcoming season(s). It’s gonna be a bit before they are true contenders but at least they are not a team in full on rebuild mode looking for a QB. Thats a worse case scenario as we’ve seen with so many bottom dwellers that waste great draft capital swinging and missing.

Sorry about that. Back to Patriots draft picks.

d) a Div 2 player
Or the always fun…

Tough to recall anything other than (a) during the BB era. I think the full range of options would be available after the first round.

Tough to recall anything other than (a) during the BB era. I think the full range of options would be available after the first round.
I have no idea where this is coming from. Source (slightly modified) History Says a Patriots Trade Up in Round 1 Unlikely

2002 — Traded Up: picks 32, 96 and 234 for pick 21 and selected TE Daniel Graham

2003 — Traded Up: picks 14 and 193 for pick 13 and selected DT Ty Warren

2003 — Traded to the Future: pick 19 for pick 41 and a 2004 1st-round pick

2007 — Traded to the Future: pick 28 for pick 110 and a 2008 1st-round pick

2008 — Traded Down: picks 7 and 164 for picks 10 and 78

2009 — Traded Down: pick 23 for picks 26 and 162

2009 — Traded Down: picks 26 and 162 for picks 41, 73 and 83

2010 — Traded Down: pick 22 for picks 24 and 113

2010 — Traded Down: picks 24 and 119 for picks 27 and 90

2011 — Traded to the Future: pick 28 for pick 56 and a 2012 first-round pick

2012 — Traded Up: picks 27 and 93 for pick 21 and selected LB Chandler Jones

2012 — Traded Up: picks 31 and 126 for pick 25 and selected LB Dont'a Hightower

2013 — Traded Down: pick 29 for picks 52, 83, 102 and 229

2020 — Traded Down: pick 23 for picks 37 and 71

I have no idea where this is coming from. Source (slightly modified) History Says a Patriots Trade Up in Round 1 Unlikely

2002 — Traded Up: picks 32, 96 and 234 for pick 21 and selected TE Daniel Graham

2003 — Traded Up: picks 14 and 193 for pick 13 and selected DT Ty Warren

2003 — Traded to the Future: pick 19 for pick 41 and a 2004 1st-round pick

2007 — Traded to the Future: pick 28 for pick 110 and a 2008 1st-round pick

2008 — Traded Down: picks 7 and 164 for picks 10 and 78

2009 — Traded Down: pick 23 for picks 26 and 162

2009 — Traded Down: picks 26 and 162 for picks 41, 73 and 83

2010 — Traded Down: pick 22 for picks 24 and 113

2010 — Traded Down: picks 24 and 119 for picks 27 and 90

2011 — Traded to the Future: pick 28 for pick 56 and a 2012 first-round pick

2012 — Traded Up: picks 27 and 93 for pick 21 and selected LB Chandler Jones

2012 — Traded Up: picks 31 and 126 for pick 25 and selected LB Dont'a Hightower

2013 — Traded Down: pick 29 for picks 52, 83, 102 and 229

2020 — Traded Down: pick 23 for picks 37 and 71
I think you may have misunderstood my post, so let me rephrase: I do not recall any of the following happening in the first round during the BB era:

d) a Div 2 player
Or the always fun…

If Jordan Davis and/or Jameson Williams are there at 21 do we take one of them?

I know people aren't too high on using a first on a run stuffing DT when we have so many holes to fill, but I think adding Davis would elevate Barmore and the DB's because it's going to take two linemen to occupy Davis, leaving Barmore one on one, which in turn you would hope leads to opposing QB's having to get rid of the ball quickly.

Then Jameson Williams is that explosive home run hitter that has to be accounted for on every snap. We don't have that guy that scares defender's and prevents them from creeping up and condensing the field. Although I would bet my left testicle that the Chiefs will take him with one of their 1st round picks now that Hill is gone and they've got the capital to use a first round pick on an injured player

If Jordan Davis and/or Jameson Williams are there at 21 do we take one of them?

I know people aren't too high on using a first on a run stuffing DT when we have so many holes to fill, but I think adding Davis would elevate Barmore and the DB's because it's going to take two linemen to occupy Davis, leaving Barmore one on one, which in turn you would hope leads to opposing QB's having to get rid of the ball quickly.

Then Jameson Williams is that explosive home run hitter that has to be accounted for on every snap. We don't have that guy that scares defender's and prevents them from creeping up and condensing the field. Although I would bet my left testicle that the Chiefs will take him with one of their 1st round picks now that Hill is gone and they've got the capital to use a first round pick on an injured player

If we want to help barmore be a better pass rusher, we must have someone opposite him that can command an occasional double team which would leave barmore with a single guard to beat.

Whatever the Patriots do, it sure as heck better be a blockbuster draft. The team has holes seemingly everywhere (except QB), and they did almost nothing in FA (sorry Mr Butler, sir, I don't mean to say you are a nothing--you will forever be one of the greatest Patriots players ever).

I have got to believe that the Patriots are going to do a lot of trading back, if they can find partners. Hopefully the Wolfman will turn in another good draft.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back