PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot 2019 Draft Picks ... (a small stockpile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 2 firsts and 2 seconds this year. My point is, I'm not ready to get excited about picks. I'd be shocked if we just went full speed ahead. Some of these will be traded in the next few months/early season in packages for vets. Some of these will be traded down next year for more capital.

TS, would like fries with your hat?

Bill Belichick will trade two or three of those picks for veterans before the 2018 trade deadline. Future picks are chips on the poker table. You know how this goes.

In 2017, after the draft, Belichick traded picks for Marquis Flowers, Johnson Bademosi, Cassius Marsh. In 2016, he traded picks for Barkevious Mingo and Eric Rowe.

The draft is just another step in the journey.
You can hold the fries, your post just reinforces my point.

That’s the thing, he’s given himself the weapons to do just that. B.B. doesn’t just see the draft as a way to get new blood, in this period of a full, developed roster, he takes a more holistic approach to the draft. New blood certainly but star players (Cooks) and good veterans along with future draft capital. I think if one was to go over exactly what was obtained from the 2018 draft, one will see just how much he did get. For example, Danny Shelton, Marquis Flowers, Trent Brown, Eric Rowe, Jason McCourty, two additional top 100 picks next year have all got to be part of the evaluation of this draft class. We’ll conveniently forget Cassius Marsh though :)
Your point is extremely valid but for accuracy purposes Shelton is part of the 2019 class. We gave up a 2019 3rd RDer.

We had 2 firsts and 2 seconds this year. My point is, I'm not ready to get excited about picks. I'd be shocked if we just went full speed ahead. Some of these will be traded in the next few months/early season in packages for vets. Some of these will be traded down next year for more capital.
Our 2 firsts and 2 seconds netted us 3 of the top 56 and a chip in next year's draft.

At least he gave us the Hightower/Jones draft, my favorite draft in the BB era. And it worked out pretty well too.

it is the result of a coach who is rock solid in his long term job security that he can trade the present for the future. Whereas ( sounds like a lawyer- sorry) teams and coaches that have to win now can't afford that luxury and overpay to move up to get that"one player" who will change their franchise hopefully.... mortgaging the future for the present....they are also the ones that end up in cap hell overpaying for name FAs...
But, do you really think that Belichick is going to leave this organization in a bad place on his way out, especially if he’s helping to groom Josh? I certainly don’t. It’s not like he was going to trade up and gamble by leaving Josh little options for the future, and that goes double if the rumors are true and he’s actually helping him in the war room.

But, do you really think that Belichick is going to leave this organization in a bad place on his way out, especially if he’s helping to groom Josh? I certainly don’t. It’s not like he was going to trade up and gamble by leaving Josh little options for the future, and that goes double if the rumors are true and he’s actually helping him in the war room.
I think you misinterpreted my posting. I meant that BB has the ability to trade into the future ( whether he is the coach or someone else in the near future) because he has the job security to plan long term and not worry about short term decisions. Other teams trade up giving away future picks because their job security depends on " winning now." BB trades up, down and sometimes trades away a future pick ( e.g. E Rowe trade) because he wants to do what is best for the team in the short and the long term. If McDaniels were to step into the head coaching role tomorrow, he would find a draft with potentially 5 extra picks....

Last edited:
At least he gave us the Hightower/Jones draft, my favorite draft in the BB era. And it worked out pretty well too.

Wasn't that the Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette draft?

Yes
I believe it's the same draft where 9 months later they were hoisting up the Lombardi trophy.

If by "they" you mean the Ravens, then yes..... That was the 2012 draft. Took 33 months for the Lombardi trophy to be hoisted by the Patriots.

The point I'm making is that the 2012 draft provided immediate excitement, but ultimately only wound up with Jones, Hightower, Nate Ebner, and Alfonzo Dennard making an impact on the team.

Contrast that with the 2013 draft which many on this forum hated at the time. They traded out of round 1. But they wound up with Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, and traded a pick for LeGarrett Blount. All were also key cogs in that 2014 championship.

It's great they picked successes with their 1st rounders. But a real home run of a draft will have additional successes later. There really isn't much of a difference in the end product between 2012 and 2013.

What I'm hoping for is a repeat of the 2011 draft, even factoring Ras-I Dowling and Ryan Mallett. This was as much of the core of the 2014 and 2016 championships team as 2012 and 2013, if not more so: Nate Solder, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Marcus Cannon.

You're right , mixed up my years. Good points :)

That’s the thing, he’s given himself the weapons to do just that.
Draft picks aren't weapons....merely tools to secure Weapons of Mass Destruction.....or....... Jordan Richards

At the time, I thought that Marsh was brought as a special teamer, and he was/is a good one. Unfortunately, we need him for more.

To me criticizing him is similar to criticizing Bademosi for not being a good enough corner. He was OK as a #5 corner, acquired to play special teams. He even was OK as a starter, but to expect consistent production was simply too much to expect.

.We’ll conveniently forget Cassius Marsh though :)

At the time, I thought that Marsh was brought as a special teamer, and he was/is a good one. Unfortunately, we need him for more.

To me criticizing him is similar to criticizing Bademosi for not being a good enough corner. He was OK as a #5 corner, acquired to play special teams. He even was OK as a starter, but to expect consistent production was simply too much to expect.

Not so worried about the 7th rounder, but the 5th rounder was quite a lot to give up for someone that would go on to get cut so quickly. The Ealy and Marsh trades were disappointing in the end.

I don’t necessarily think trading for future draft picks is indicative of Bill staying around for the long haul. He does what’s best for the team in the long run - period. He’d do the same thing if he were retiring next year and stock pile picks for Josh and Nick.

Last edited:
Maybe Jacksonville will take one of those 3rds for Dante Fowler Jr.
he’s depth on that loaded line, and I can’t see them paying all those high draft pick players down the road

I don’t necessarily see trading for future draft picks as indicative of Bill staying around for the long haul. He does what’s best for the team in the long run - period. He’d do the same thing if he were retiring next year and stock pile picks for Josh and Nick.
He’s always thinking ahead. I wouldn’t be surprised if he used a 2nd or a 3rd on a veteran before the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes