PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot 2019 Draft Picks ... (a small stockpile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Patriots traded into 2019 a couple times so will have their 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and three 3rd round picks in 2019.

1. This suggests a positive sign that Belichick plans to be around a couple more years. I half-expected them to move up this year and really go for it with Tom Brady's few remaining years.

2. Even with all these trades into 2019 the Patriots did address team needs (if the players pan out) at OT, CB, and LB. It also signals disappointment with Gillislee at RB.

Here’s how many picks the Patriots have in the 2019 NFL Draft - The Boston Globe

Last edited:
I love what they did in this draft. They got 3 prospects who should get significant playing time mmediately, used a pick for a high quality veteran OT, and added a 2nd and a 3rd. I also like the LB additions in Bentley and Sam, and expect to see more 3-4 next season

I love what they did in this draft. They got 3 prospects who should get significant playing time mmediately, used a pick for a high quality veteran OT, and added a 2nd and a 3rd. I also like the LB additions in Bentley and Sam, and expect to see more 3-4 next season

Yes if at least one of the LB's hits as a starter then this draft was a home run.

The Patriots traded into 2019 a couple times so will have their 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and three 3rd round picks in 2019.

1. This suggests a positive sign that Belichick plans to be around a couple more years.
Or, it may suggest that he’s trying to leave Josh McDaniels and the organization in the best position possible for the future, just the same.

I don’t know how you can arrive at that conclusion because Bill Belichick traded some picks into the next year, which has been done many, many times, that’s all.

Draft, shmaft. If the Patriots use all those picks next year I'll eat my hat.

I don’t care if they don’t use them all, I care that it gives them the flexibility to move up if they reallly want to.

I don’t care if they don’t use them all, I care that it gives them the flexibility to move up if they reallly want to.
Yeah, I guess I've gotten jaded from BB's drafts.

Yeah, I guess I've gotten jaded from BB's drafts.

I think Belichick views the entire process of team building completely different than we do, and ultimately he’s right because the proof is self evident. There is no other franchise in the free agency era that has been able to sustain 12-4 season’s while dealing with the structure designed to make them fall back to earth. He has developed ways of dealing with picking late and cap losses that may not make fans happy, but they work. He has to create value in every way he can, and he does just that. It’s pretty amazing imo. And while I would much prefer that Triumph and Captain Stone had been running the franchise the past 20 years, Belichick is a decent substitute for their combined genius.

I think Belichick views the entire process of team building completely different than we do, and ultimately he’s right because the proof is self evident. There is no other franchise in the free agency era that has been able to sustain 12-4 season’s while dealing with the structure designed to make them fall back to earth. He has developed ways of dealing with picking late and cap losses that may not make fans happy, but they work. He has to create value in every way he can, and he does just that. It’s pretty amazing imo. And while I would much prefer that Triumph and Captain Stone had been running the franchise the past 20 years, Belichick is a decent substitute for their combined genius.
Ivan, I know all that. I merely was pointing out that his drafts are not exactly "must-see TV."

Ivan, I know all that. I merely was pointing out that his drafts are not exactly "must-see TV."

He’s the biggest reason I no longer follow the draft the way I once did, what’s the point, he’s rarely going to do what you were hoping for. And where I used to get frustrated watching him trade back, back, backbackback, I now start laughing because it’s so predictable. That said I’m really happy with this draft, and everything he did with the picks.

I think Belichick views the entire process of team building completely different than we do, and ultimately he’s right because the proof is sel evident. There is no other franchise in the free agency era that has been able to sustain 12-4 season’s while dealing with the structure designed to make them fall back to earth. He has developed ways of dealing with picking late and cap losses that may not make fans happy, but they work. He has to create value in every way he can, and he does just that. It’s pretty amazing imo. And while I would much prefer that Triumph and Captain Stone had been running the franchise the past 20 years, Belichick is a decent substitute for their combined genius.

Triumph and Captain Stone ? I dont get it, who?

We prob won’t have all those picks before the season starts. I’m expecting at least 1 midrounder to be sent off for a vet who can help us next year

That’s the thing, he’s given himself the weapons to do just that. B.B. doesn’t just see the draft as a way to get new blood, in this period of a full, developed roster, he takes a more holistic approach to the draft. New blood certainly but star players (Cooks) and good veterans along with future draft capital. I think if one was to go over exactly what was obtained from the 2018 draft, one will see just how much he did get. For example, Danny Shelton, Marquis Flowers, Trent Brown, Eric Rowe, Jason McCourty, two additional top 100 picks next year have all got to be part of the evaluation of this draft class. We’ll conveniently forget Cassius Marsh though :)

I was just visited by myself....from the future. Try not to be too surprised, but this is what I was told.
"BB really hated the 2019 draft. All he did was pass on every unknown Pro Bowl talent out there. He converted a TON of picks into the next year though. I hate to say it, but BB the GM once again got in the way of BB the coach. I'm also here to tell you the terrible news that Brady looked exhausted after accepting the Lombardi Trophy and a tear could be seen rolling down Gronk and Edelman's cheeks. They haven't spoken to anyone, but the consensus is that all 3 are gonna hang it up. Even with those 3 retiring, Bill drafted a DT, an incredibly slow and fat OT, and 7 DB's that everyone are convinced are smurfs."

It gives us plenty of draft capitol to move up in the draft next year to grab Brady’s replacement if need be. If not the QB route then plenty to replenish lost players to FA. It was obvious that B.B. was not enamored by this years draft. Forever moving back.

Finley, the qb from N.C. state should be very high on bb’s list next year.

Th 2018 draft only had about 20 legit first rounders. Next year, we should see about 10 more than this year.

I was just visited by myself....from the future. Try not to be too surprised, but this is what I was told.
"BB really hated the 2019 draft. All he did was pass on every unknown Pro Bowl talent out there. He converted a TON of picks into the next year though. I hate to say it, but BB the GM once again got in the way of BB the coach. I'm also here to tell you the terrible news that Brady looked exhausted after accepting the Lombardi Trophy and a tear could be seen rolling down Gronk and Edelman's cheeks. They haven't spoken to anyone, but the consensus is that all 3 are gonna hang it up. Even with those 3 retiring, Bill drafted a DT, an incredibly slow and fat OT, and 7 DB's that everyone are convinced are smurfs."

:-D

TS, would like fries with your hat?

Bill Belichick will trade two or three of those picks for veterans before the 2018 trade deadline. Future picks are chips on the poker table. You know how this goes.

In 2017, after the draft, Belichick traded picks for Marquis Flowers, Johnson Bademosi, Cassius Marsh. In 2016, he traded picks for Barkevious Mingo and Eric Rowe.

The draft is just another step in the journey.

Or, it may suggest that he’s trying to leave Josh McDaniels and the organization in the best position possible for the future, just the same.

I don’t know how you can arrive at that conclusion because Bill Belichick traded some picks into the next year, which has been done many, many times, that’s all.
it is the result of a coach who is rock solid in his long term job security that he can trade the present for the future. Whereas ( sounds like a lawyer- sorry) teams and coaches that have to win now can't afford that luxury and overpay to move up to get that"one player" who will change their franchise hopefully.... mortgaging the future for the present....they are also the ones that end up in cap hell overpaying for name FAs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back