PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Chung has retired

Surprised he played as long as he did. Solid player and key contributor to those winning teams. Congrats and best of luck with his retirement.

Bill always said that the reason Pat failed (or seemed to fail) was HIS misuse of his talent. Bill didn't screw it up after he came back from Philly. Another guy who maximized his talent.

I'm not at all surprised by this. By the end he had just beat himself to death. His physical game compared to his size was awesome. Hard to believe he lasted as long as he did. He was our version of Mike Sanders

Could be a possibility. there were rumors during the season that High and Chung were both retiring.

i thought that High said himself he was coming back but checking it again it was McCourty that said that from his understanding they were all coming back. It’s clearly not the case.

could Judon be an Hightower replacement?

thanks for everything Pat. You were a beast in your 2nd Patriots tour !
Judon is an OLB while Hightower mostly plays inside a lot. If they have to replace him with someone, it would be KVN and Bentley.

Not unexpected...
What a great run he had...solid player

Thank you for all you have given on the field

Take care and enjoy yr new future life

Loved Patrick.
Great player...great role model.
I still wish he hadn't fumbled the fake punt...that could've changed the game and outcome of the season.
Best wishes to one of the Patriot safeties (to me, he has a place up there with Lawyer, Rodney, and Jason).

Congratulations to him! Heck of a career.

Eleven years?! Probably the worst part about sports is how apparent it makes the passage of time. Seems like yesterday he was just drafted!

He was drafted with the pick the Pats got for trading Matt Cassel and Vrable. I could made the mistake of thinking the three of them were teammates at some point.

He has already been replaced. What are the cap ramifications?
LOL...it only took post 7 to ask this question. Before I opened the thread I said to myself "someone will ask about cap hit in one of first 5 posts"
I do the same thing. "What's the cap hit/savings".

Bill always said that the reason Pat failed (or seemed to fail) was HIS misuse of his talent. Bill didn't screw it up after he came back from Philly. Another guy who maximized his talent.

I'm not at all surprised by this. By the end he had just beat himself to death. His physical game compared to his size was awesome. Hard to believe he lasted as long as he did. He was our version of Mike Sanders

That is what made BB so great, his ability to maximize the talent of the player and then put them in a position to use their strengths/talent. Play to the players strengths.

How many have left the Pats and not do as well with another team??

IMO this is the "Patriots Way", a media invention, to always put a player in a position where he excels on the field.

Wish Chung well always enjoyed his play..

Red jacket material.

Thanks Pat.
Hmm may be a while, but I could see him making it. Certainly worthy, but the field of candidates is insane.

He was a fan favorite from day 1, then a hated draft bust, then a reclamation project, then a long term starter for 3 SB victories. Very interesting career compared to most.

He was neither a "draft bust" or "reclamation project," he was simply used the right way the second time he came back.

you can discuss the patriot way all you want........but Pat embodied it

Enjoy your retirement Mr. Chung!
Great Patriot Player

He had a night in Miami early in his career where he blocked a punt, a FG, and I believe had an INT.

Chung was the first of the "grass isn't greener on the other side" bomberang Pats. BB admitted that he used Chung wrong during his first stint. But by never burning your bridges, BB has brought back a bunch of guys (Blount, Collins, and now KVN) who have all contributed greatly during their second stints with the Pats.

BTW I'm all for adding Akeen Hicks to this list!

Good for Chung, had a nice career.

LOL...it only took post 7 to ask this question. Before I opened the thread I said to myself "someone will ask about cap hit in one of first 5 posts"
I do the same thing. "What's the cap hit/savings".
Yeah that’s how it affects me. I’ve never had the personal emotional attachment to players.

Best of luck to him in his retirement.

Good for him! Thank you and congrats on a great career, Patrick! Good luck on your next acts!

I have and then the ****er moved to Tamp Bay.
Yeah he’s different.
I don’t think I missed a single snap of his Patriot career. He’s like family.

funny story.
i brought my girlfriends son to a preseason game when he was about 9.
He wanted a Brady bobble head.
He put it in his room next to a bunch of other toys like super heros, marvel characters, etc .
When he would go to his dads house I would go in his room and knock over all the other characters. When he got back I’d ask him if Tom Brady kicked all the super heroes asses again.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back