PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

He's a glass QB that CAN play good when he's on the field. The QB i want is one that MAKES the biggest play of the game in a Super bowl. We've all seen them over the years....Montana, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, Brady...they MADE the huge play, the biggest completion of the game to WIN the Super Bowl. They DIDN'T overthrow a WIDE OPEN RECIEVER by 15 yards with ZERO Pocket pressure. That QB is NOT what we should be looking for or happy with. Sorry...I know there's a huge contingent of "dreamy Jimmy" fans on the board but I see psychological defects that relegate him to the serviceable regular season QB category.

Last edited:
It amuses me this discussion has become about what “I would do” when none of us has a vote. It’s what Bill and whomever he listens to discretion not ours. I still think Bill is one of those “dreamy Jimmy fans”, and he’s inevitably going to get his guy because, despite their protestations, it really doesn’t make sense for the 49ers to pay Garappolo $25 million to be their placeholder QB and miss out on getting any decent compensation for him by doing so.

What makes me believe this is the Patriots continue to play the leverage game in the media rather than just walking away. Today’s Mike Reiss Sunday column was another chapter in the campaign with the Patriots letting everyone know that they’re willing and able to wait it out until after training camp because of Garappolo’s experience in the Patriots system.

Most of us have our qualms about his luck with injuries and just how good Garappolo really is, but the Coach who coached him for 3 1/2 years and only reluctantly traded him at the last moment to get something in return doesn’t appear to share our concerns as strongly as we do.

I think most of us would agree that of the QBs realistically available to us. Garappolo gives the Patriots their best shot over the next couple of years to compete with Buffalo and Miami for the division and make deep playoff runs. If this is what Bill wants, we should be hoping that it happens.

The Patriots are going to pay roughly $120 million over the cap a year after losing all their gate revenues and with it still up in the air as to how much they might lose in revenue this year to put a competitive team on the field this year. I’m not a “in Bill I trust” guy but he’s earned the right to try to go out a winner proving he and his former QB are both champions- together and apart. He’s also earned the right to go full bear after the win record of the Patron Saint of Hypocrisy if he wants as well.

It amuses me this discussion has become about what “I would do” when none of us has a vote. It’s what Bill and whomever he listens to discretion not ours. I still think Bill is one of those “dreamy Jimmy fans”, and he’s inevitably going to get his guy because, despite their protestations, it really doesn’t make sense for the 49ers to pay Garappolo $25 million to be their placeholder QB and miss out on getting any decent compensation for him by doing so.

What makes me believe this is the Patriots continue to play the leverage game in the media rather than just walking away. Today’s Mike Reiss Sunday column was another chapter in the campaign with the Patriots letting everyone know that they’re willing and able to wait it out until after training camp because of Garappolo’s experience in the Patriots system.

Most of us have our qualms about his luck with injuries and just how good Garappolo really is, but the Coach who coached him for 3 1/2 years and only reluctantly traded him at the last moment to get something in return doesn’t appear to share our concerns as strongly as we do.

I think most of us would agree that of the QBs realistically available to us. Garappolo gives the Patriots their best shot over the next couple of years to compete with Buffalo and Miami for the division and make deep playoff runs. If this is what Bill wants, we should be hoping that it happens.

The Patriots are going to pay roughly $120 million over the cap a year after losing all their gate revenues and with it still up in the air as to how much they might lose in revenue this year to put a competitive team on the field this year. I’m not a “in Bill I trust” guy but he’s earned the right to try to go out a winner proving he and his former QB are both champions- together and apart. He’s also earned the right to go full bear after the win record of the Patron Saint of Hypocrisy if he wants as well.
Bill probably believes he can win games with Jimmy and he gives him a shot at competing for the division. Whether they can make/win a Super Bowl with him, I don't know if Bill thinks that is realistic, but he knows he can win games and figure it out along the way. I would guess Bill will start making plans for how he will get his "true" QBOTF if Year 1 of Jimmy doesn't convince him that he is their permanent fix.

How long it'll take to get Jimmy, unsure. It seems clear SF is looking to do it. It went from "not for sale" to "he's our guy" to "he's our guy... this year" to "he's our guy... for now" to "we'll only take a 1st rounder" in the span of a week. I would imagine they'll be able to get a deal done by the draft, or shortly thereafter, but I guess we'll see.

Bill probably believes he can win games with Jimmy and he gives him a shot at competing for the division. Whether they can make/win a Super Bowl with him, I don't know if Bill thinks that is realistic, but he knows he can win games and figure it out along the way. I would guess Bill will start making plans for how he will get his "true" QBOTF if Year 1 of Jimmy doesn't convince him that he is their permanent fix.

How long it'll take to get Jimmy, unsure. It seems clear SF is looking to do it. It went from "not for sale" to "he's our guy" to "he's our guy... this year" to "he's our guy... for now" to "we'll only take a 1st rounder" in the span of a week. I would imagine they'll be able to get a deal done by the draft, or shortly thereafter, but I guess we'll see.
I'm still irked by the gull of SF to take our QB for a 2nd, injure him repeatedly, then try to sell him back at a higher price. I hope BB lowered his price to a 3rd.

Since the trade to #3, the 49ers have been consistent in what they are saying. They plan on keeping JG this year to give their rookie QB time to sit and learn. They are open to a trade if they are blown away with an offer, which was later defined as a first round pick. 49ers don't expect any team to give them one, which is ok, because they don't want to trade JG.

As for SF trading JG for more than they paid for him, you traded a QB with little playing time who was on a rookie contract. Giving you a 2nd was a risk by the 49ers that paid off. Since then JG has had a lot of starts (including post season) and is being paid as one of the better QB in the league. He also has shown a trend of getting injured. You can make a case that he is worth a first or a second round pick. Trading him for a third doesn't make any sense to me personally due to his contract. If you are prepared to take his 25 million a year contract, then that indicates that you value him as a QB.

I think Pats fans have to accept that JG isn't coming to New England this year. Next year, his stock could go up or down. If it goes down, no one will pay his current contract, and 49ers will probably cut him, meaning you get him for free. On the other hand, if JG stays healthy, leads 49ers to a SB win, he may cost a minimum of a single first round pick.

Josh Rosen couldn’t play Atleast Jimmy G is a serviceable QB that comparison isn’t the same
I never said they were the same. Just that in both cases, the Cardinals and Niners were drafting the replacement QBs but still posturing to the media that their incumbent QBs were still starting. Whether it was for performance reasons or salary reasons is besides the point.

Since the trade to #3, the 49ers have been consistent in what they are saying. They plan on keeping JG this year to give their rookie QB time to sit and learn. They are open to a trade if they are blown away with an offer, which was later defined as a first round pick. 49ers don't expect any team to give them one, which is ok, because they don't want to trade JG.

As for SF trading JG for more than they paid for him, you traded a QB with little playing time who was on a rookie contract. Giving you a 2nd was a risk by the 49ers that paid off. Since then JG has had a lot of starts (including post season) and is being paid as one of the better QB in the league. He also has shown a trend of getting injured. You can make a case that he is worth a first or a second round pick. Trading him for a third doesn't make any sense to me personally due to his contract. If you are prepared to take his 25 million a year contract, then that indicates that you value him as a QB.

I think Pats fans have to accept that JG isn't coming to New England this year. Next year, his stock could go up or down. If it goes down, no one will pay his current contract, and 49ers will probably cut him, meaning you get him for free. On the other hand, if JG stays healthy, leads 49ers to a SB win, he may cost a minimum of a single first round pick.
You keep saying that Jimmy's value is only going to go up next year and could go for a 1st round pick.

Every team in the league knows they are releasing him next year. Why would they pay a 1st round pick at that time?

Unless you believe they'll keep Jimmy G and let the #3 pick sit another year.

Also, in what way has Jimmy's value gone up since bill traded him? At the time he had limited playing time but was a sought after prospect. Now he's been injured 2-3 years, and his team has essentially given up on him.

You keep saying that Jimmy's value is only going to go up next year and could go for a 1st round pick.

Every team in the league knows they are releasing him next year. Why would they pay a 1st round pick at that time?

Also, in what way has Jimmy's value gone up since bill traded him? At the time he had limited playing time but was a sought after prospect. Now he's been injured 2-3 years, and his team has essentially given up on him.
I don’t buy at all that Garoppolo’s value has gone up. He suffered an ankle sprain two weeks into the season, causing him to miss two games. Came back and started against the Dolphins, and stunk up the joint so bad that he was benched at halftime. Likely hadn’t healed up enough yet. Played three more games after that and then:

It is possible he’ll be worth a 1st next year if he shows he can play a full season and perform well in the process. The salary will still be high, and the durability concerns still there, but his most recent impression would be a positive one, and more teams would be willing to pay the price. As it stands now, he’s only valuable in so much that Belichick would likely prefer him over Newton as the starter here. But not at SF’s asking price. We need to brace ourselves for Cam being the Week 1 starter. If he resembles the guy we got through the first three weeks last year then he might be at least serviceable given the new additions to the offense.

I just went on youtube to watch the Pats Miami game where Jimmy was throwing bullets and I was going to post that it would be great if the Pats could get that Jimmy back. Then the tape kept rolling and Jimmy got planted by Kiko Alonzo and left the game.....

So basically he made it through 5 quarters as a starter for the Pats.

He looked great in the Dolphins game, but man, he just can't be counted on.

SF is not moving Jimmy until after their pick(s) are made in the draft. Suppose something screwy happens like Lawrence gets accused of sexual assault, or a video of him doing bong hits with a gas mask on. SF wants to remian pliable (Brady pun intended) so that if something happens and they can trade that pick for a king's ransom, they can and they still would have Jimmy.

So don't expect any Jimmy trade until after SF picks.

Maybe Jimmy never misses another game, or maybe he replaces Ras IR. Newton has been playing hurt for the past 4 or 5 years, maybe a healthy Newton can lead the Pats back to the promiseland.

I never said JG's stock could only go up. I said it has the potential to go up or down. If it goes down, he will be cut with his current salary, and he will then be free to sign with any other team. If it goes up, then 49ers would be expecting even more compensation for a trade next year. I do agree that 49ers are unlikely to keep him next year, but that doesn't mean that a trade isn't a viable option. If multiple teams are interested, then a trade is always possible.

When it comes to value going up, there are pros and cons to where he was when he was traded by NE. Let's say, for example, that he was never injured. Led 49ers to a SB, and presumably won a similar number of games in the 2 seasons that he missed. Would you still be arguing that he can't be worth more than a 2nd round pick? What he was traded for several years ago has no bearing on what he is worth now. Of course, it is fair to point out that when it comes to valuing him now, his injury history does decrease his value. Assigning his current value to a 2nd round pick is probably fair. The key thing is that the 49ers aren't looking to trade him right now - they prefer he play for them another year. So, for NE to get him this year, they would have to overpay for him, i.e. a first round pick.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back