PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

There’s no downside. In Jimmy you have a safety net as you develop a young guy. Now he’s in a prove it year so if he plays amazing you can get a haul for him or keep him and deal the rookie. If he sucks, who cares you just wait for the best deal from a desperate team

Did you miss the fact they just traded 3 1st round picks? You don't do that to create competition.

If your a contender, you don't undercut and lame duck the most important position.

That's logic that looks great on a fan site thread but has zero chance in the real world with actual people. Jimmy G has a track record. You don't spend a year beefing up your obituary.

Very hopeful I suspect. I’d be amazed if the Niners didn’t try to get back one of their future firsts.
Considering what the Bears were willing to send to Seattle, they are desperate and signing Dalton isn't going over well there. The Niners could create a bidding war.

Bring Jimmy home, except not with a first rounder or Gilmore.

most I’d do is a 2nd rounder.

Ah, I see, you're talking about Jimmy? Well yeah... if BB thinks Jimmy is the guy, and that's what it takes, that's a move you should make. I don't necessarily agree with it, but Bill is making the evaluation. I just don't think it's going to cost that much. I don't think anyone else is offering a first for him.

Maybe. We will see.

My guess is this year's second and a third/fourth somewhere.

Urban Meyer is a Erhardt-Perkins guy. Might want Jimmy G, ditch Gardner and give Lawrence time to learn.
I think Lawrence is their game 1 starter but I certainly can see they may want him to sit for at least part of his rookie season. Having said that, since Lawrence is your future, you are not going to give up significant capital to bring in some guy to just be a 1 year mentor.

As I see it, there are three options:

1. Stand pat. Probably draft a Mills or Mond in the middle rounds but no more than that.
2. Trade for Jimmy G
3. Trade up into the top 10.

I think 3 has now gone from the most likely situation to the least likely.
I think 2 is the most desirable for BB but it’s still dependent on the 49ers and if Lace is their guy as rumoured they probably won’t trade him.

So 3, disappointingly, is probably the most likely scenario at this point. Which is depressing.
They weren't likely to move all the way up to three either way. They could trade with the Falcons at 4, Bengals at 5, Detroit at 7 or the Cowboys at 10 and still come away with a good QB.

Other NFL team have no money, they already shot their wad. Also Jimmy has a choice and he's not going to a dog.

Right now Jimmy is overpaid, even if they trade for him, they'll have to renegotiate his deal just to fit him under the cap.
Plenty of teams have cash. Check out OTC.

Plenty of teams have cash. Check out OTC.
Plenty of teams + teams Jimmy wants to play for + teams that don't already have QB's... this whittles the list down substantially.

This is Jimmy G thread #1,069 and Lynch is still not trading him to Bill. He'll be cut or traded in 2022 after their QBOF sits for a year.

Wouldn't that mean Stafford was worth even more? That would only prove my point further that Jimmy G will not be had for cheap.
No, it means LA had to include more for unloading Goff and his contract. If Goff wasn't included in the trade, Detroit would have gotten less than 2 first rounders.

We live in a world where Matthew Stafford was worth 2 first round picks. I think SF is going to expect at least one. Compared directly with Stafford, he's undoubtedly had a less consistent career with objectively worse stats, but he's at least won a playoff game.
Jimmy has lost luster since we traded him for a 2nd rounder, and given his contract status in a tight year, I would say that the 49ers are using wishful thinking if they expect anything near that.

Teams want rookies on short contracts.

I wouldn't even give them a 1st round pick next year.

They weren't likely to move all the way up to three either way. They could trade with the Falcons at 4, Bengals at 5, Detroit at 7 or the Cowboys at 10 and still come away with a good QB.

Falcons at four will likely cost almost as much as what the Niners just gave up. Bengals are in a position to draft the best non-QB available, a pretty good position to be in. Detroit at 7 is interesting but 10 might be too late for a QB.

Plenty of teams + teams Jimmy wants to play for + teams that don't already have QB's... this whittles the list down substantially.
...all it takes is one other team.

We live in a world where Matthew Stafford was worth 2 first round picks. I think SF is going to expect at least one. Compared directly with Stafford, he's undoubtedly had a less consistent career with objectively worse stats, but he's at least won a playoff game.
I’d be careful with using that criteria. Less consistent, objectively worse stats, won a playoff game...you can say the same for Blake Bortles, and he’s still sitting there in free agency. ;)

If the Niners are expecting a first for Garoppolo then they’re not going to find any takers.

If the Niners are expecting a first for Garoppolo then they’re not going to find any takers.
I don't know about that. There are a lot of teams that are desperate for a QB and Jimmy when healthy, wins a lot of games.

This is Jimmy G thread #1,069 and Lynch is still not trading him to Bill. He'll be cut or traded in 2022 after their QBOF sits for a year.
You think they paid 2022 and 2023 1st round picks to keep the guy on the bench, and pay $25m to some other guy? I have a hard time believing that. If they want insurance, you pay someone like Trubisky $10m instead of letting him walk to Buffalo where he’ll get no playing time.

I think Lawrence is their game 1 starter but I certainly can see they may want him to sit for at least part of his rookie season. Having said that, since Lawrence is your future, you are not going to give up significant capital to bring in some guy to just be a 1 year mentor.
The Jags signed CJ Beathard yesterday.

I don’t see any team valuing Jimmy as much as the Patriots.
The fact him and Bill text back and forth which Is known.
This has been in the making.

I’d be careful with using that criteria. Less consistent, objectively worse stats, won a playoff game...you can say the same for Blake Bortles, and he’s still sitting there in free agency. ;)

Between Stafford, JimmyG, and Bortles only one has a winning record as a starter.

And here's a hint it isn't Stafford or Bortles.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back