PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

I could see that, especially if they do want to move on from him and his no trade limits where he'll accept. I don't think I would go much higher than that, but adding in a late round pick would be fine too. I want our first rounder for a significant player (if we're going Jimmy rather than a drafted QB), but there won't be a ton of spots on this roster for late round fliers anyway.

So how exactly is a QB that was the highest round Belichick ever drafted not a "significant" player?

yeah they'd be high to expect that, though.....

But they don’t have to trade him. And we’d have to give up at least that to get one of the top QBs anyway. If Greg Bedard is right, Jimmy was always the top of our wish list. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what we end up giving up.

So how exactly is a QB that was the highest round Belichick ever drafted not a "significant" player?

I'll need some clarification on your question. What are you asking?

Realistically, though, who would sign him as a FA?
Urban Meyer is a Erhardt-Perkins guy. Might want Jimmy G, ditch Gardner and give Lawrence time to learn.

And the compromise is the 2nd rounder. Do it, take Horn with 15 or trade down a few spots to recoup the 2nd rounder and take Collins, and we’re gold.
What are the thoughts of trading back into the middle rounds for Mills and double dipping with Jimmy G and Mills?

We live in a world where Matthew Stafford was worth 2 first round picks. I think SF is going to expect at least one. Compared directly with Stafford, he's undoubtedly had a less consistent career with objectively worse stats, but he's at least won a playoff game.

We live in a world where Matthew Stafford was worth 2 first round picks. I think SF is going to expect at least one. Compared directly with Stafford, he's undoubtedly had a less consistent career with objectively worse stats, but he's at least won a playoff game.
But the no trade clause is huge Jimmy can bully his way and with the actions of the front office why wouldn’t he come back in Papas Loving arms.

I'll need some clarification on your question. What are you asking?

Your statement was you wanted a significant player at 15.

Isn't a starting QB that Belichick has coveted over everyone else...significant?

People always say that but it wasn't "Stafford for 2 firsts", it was "Stafford and also you have to take on Goff's ridiculous contract for 2 firsts".

I don’t think Jimmy would want to go there knowing he’s not the guy
He could be Bills guy for 5 years
If they are willing to pay him close to $24m in 2021 he may not care all that much.

..but I agree with you. If Jimmy hit FA and if the money is reasonable, BB will close the deal.

People always say that but it wasn't "Stafford for 2 firsts", it was "Stafford and also you have to take on Goff's ridiculous contract for 2 firsts".
Wouldn't that mean Stafford was worth even more? That would only prove my point further that Jimmy G will not be had for cheap.

Your statement was you wanted a significant player at 15.

Isn't a starting QB that Belichick has coveted over everyone else...significant?

Ah, I see, you're talking about Jimmy? Well yeah... if BB thinks Jimmy is the guy, and that's what it takes, that's a move you should make. I don't necessarily agree with it, but Bill is making the evaluation. I just don't think it's going to cost that much. I don't think anyone else is offering a first for him.

What are the thoughts of trading back into the middle rounds for Mills and double dipping with Jimmy G and Mills?
I’d love it. If Stidham were worth anything he would have started when Cam was struggling; instead we hear reports of how the Patriots didn’t start him because the *players* had no faith in him.

New QB 1, draft Mills to be long term Qb 2 for when Jimmy gets hurt and if your lucky he develops into something more, and keep Cam around as QB 2 this year while Mills learns the ropes.

It’s always good business to be developing QBs. Especially since they eliminated all their other holes in FA (granted they’re not all strengths, but there don’t appear to be holes anymore).

...then the NEP opens themselves up to a bidding war and with only $10m in cap space cannot dictate deal structure.

If you have the chance to do it, you do the deal.

View attachment 31662
Other NFL teams have no money, they already shot their wad. Also Jimmy has a choice and he's not going to a dog.

Right now Jimmy is overpaid, even if they trade for him, they'll have to renegotiate his deal just to fit him under the cap.

Last edited:
As I see it, there are three options:

1. Stand pat. Probably draft a Mills or Mond in the middle rounds but no more than that.
2. Trade for Jimmy G
3. Trade up into the top 10.

I think 3 has now gone from the most likely situation to the least likely.
I think 2 is the most desirable for BB but it’s still dependent on the 49ers and if Lace is their guy as rumoured they probably won’t trade him.

So 3, disappointingly, is probably the most likely scenario at this point. Which is depressing.

But the no trade clause is huge Jimmy can bully his way and with the actions of the front office why wouldn’t he come back in Papas Loving arms.
I'm not so sure Jimmy actually can bully his way out if the 49ers are actually stupid enough to be okay with paying him all that money just to be replaced by a rookie.

I also think despite what the 49ers have been saying, they actually will be actively shopping him as soon as they submit their pick. They're just hedging their bets right now by saying they don't want to trade him; they gain no advantage by saying "yeah, he's done here".

I don’t think they trade Jimmy this year.

Huge price to pay, but they are not moving up to select a wr, that's for sure....Jimmy G is gone from San Fran. Where to hmmm, and what would it take to get him.
That's the big question

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back