PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

I think it comes down to this: NE wants Garoppolo, Garoppolo wants NE and has a no-trade clause. Jimmy will nix deals to any other place (hypothetically) so SF knows it hurts his trade value significantly. SF gets around this by saying "if you don't give us what we want, we'll just KEEP HIM! Our rookie will sit for a year!" It sounds stupid, but it may be the only card they have left to play.

You think they paid 2022 and 2023 1st round picks to keep the guy on the bench, and pay $25m to some other guy? I have a hard time believing that. If they want insurance, you pay someone like Trubisky $10m instead of letting him walk to Buffalo where he’ll get no playing time.

Might be where the Minshew talk is from. He would be a natural transition to backup and make decent money.

Falcons at four will likely cost almost as much as what the Niners just gave up. Bengals are in a position to draft the best non-QB available, a pretty good position to be in. Detroit at 7 is interesting but 10 might be too late for a QB.
Maybe, the Dolphins obviously negotiated well and the 49ers were desperate. It was a fleecing.

Your statement was you wanted a significant player at 15.

Isn't a starting QB that Belichick has coveted over everyone else...significant?
It’s 2021 not 2014. Jimmy G is an injury prone QB who is at best a bit of a mid tier project who has a team that thinks taking a shot on a rookie is a better option long term.

That’s like saying why not flip Brady for a 2nd mid draft to get someone who fell since he’s only a 6th rounder

You think they paid 2022 and 2023 1st round picks to keep the guy on the bench, and pay $25m to some other guy? I have a hard time believing that. If they want insurance, you pay someone like Trubisky $10m instead of letting him walk to Buffalo where he’ll get no playing time.
Hmm, so Jimmy for Cam (who'd be a better mentor to Lance, as they play the same style) + a pick?

SF gets a MUCH cheaper mentor and can begin rearranging their offense more to suit Lance (of Fields, if that's their pick). Pats get a little CAP room back to help pay Jimmy.

I feel like DW Toys when I start doing this stuff....

Jimmy has lost luster since we traded him for a 2nd rounder, and given his contract status in a tight year, I would say that the 49ers are using wishful thinking if they expect anything near that.

Teams want rookies on short contracts.

I wouldn't even give them a 1st round pick next year.
I wouldn't either, but someone else might. Don't we like to talk about how every team tries to be us? It might even be Belichick who disagrees with us on his trade value.
I’d be careful with using that criteria. Less consistent, objectively worse stats, won a playoff game...you can say the same for Blake Bortles, and he’s still sitting there in free agency. ;)

If the Niners are expecting a first for Garoppolo then they’re not going to find any takers.
Garoppolo is absolutely better than Bortles, don't get me wrong. But that comparison is valid for a reason. They were red flags for Bortles and they should be red flags for us.
No, I said I don't think that in the same post. I said it's more likely that they're just lying about not wanting to trade him because telling the truth to anyone who asks is a bad way to get a good return.

I don't know about that. There are a lot of teams that are desperate for a QB and Jimmy when healthy, wins a lot of games.
I love Jimmy, but “when healthy” needs to be stressed a lot when assessing his value. In the last three seasons out of a possible 48 regular season games he’s played in only 25 of them. That’s not counting 2016 when we needed him for 4 games with Brady serving a bogus suspension, and we only got a game and a half out of him. The risk is more than just what it could cost to get him.

...all it takes is one other team.
If I were Jimmy who just made a huge lump of money and my options were Denver's paper thin offensive line or New England who has one of the best and just loaded up in free agency there would be no choice. If I were New England I wouldn't reach for Jimmy at this point. Either he falls in your lap or draft someone.

Might be where the Minshew talk is from. He would be a natural transition to backup and make decent money.
Yeah, SF can say they intend to keep Jimmy, but it's no coincidence they were inquiring about Minshew just a couple days ago and now they make this move. It seems clear they were ensuring they can make a deal for him once they make this move for #3 and then move Garoppolo. Getting their dominos all lined up.

Did you miss the fact they just traded 3 1st round picks? You don't do that to create competition.

If your a contender, you don't undercut and lame duck the most important position.

That's logic that looks great on a fan site thread but has zero chance in the real world with actual people. Jimmy G has a track record. You don't spend a year beefing up your obituary.
No they traded two firsts and flipped several spots. There’s absolutely no reason for them to trade Jimmy without a haul at this point and they can wait until they had an off season and are comfortable with the rookie

No, I said I don't think that in the same post. I said it's more likely that they're just lying about not wanting to trade him because telling the truth to anyone who asks is a bad way to get a good return.
Yeah, I messed up the quoting function somehow, that wasn’t your quote I posted. I think I fixed it now, sorry.

Then why are we trading up to 4? That’s at least the argument the Falcons will be making as they try to extract three firsts from us.

If I were Jimmy who just made a huge lump of money and my options were Denver's paper thin offensive line or New England who has one of the best and just loaded up in free agency there would be no choice. If I were New England I wouldn't reach for Jimmy at this point. Either he falls in your lap or draft someone.
Sure but if he hits FA his decision will be greatly impacted by guaranteed money.

It’s 2021 not 2014. Jimmy G is an injury prone QB who is at best a bit of a mid tier project who has a team that thinks taking a shot on a rookie is a better option long term.

That’s like saying why not flip Brady for a 2nd mid draft to get someone who fell since he’s only a 6th rounder

Look at actual events to follow logically.

Your post is your opinion.....that's completely useless.

Sure but if he hits FA his decision will be greatly impacted by guaranteed money.
I guess, but at that point do you want to overpay Jimmy or spend a bunch of draft capital and get a rookie QB on a cost controlled contract for the next four years?

Then why are we trading up to 4? That’s at least the argument the Falcons will be making as they try to extract three firsts from us.
The Falcons are in cap hell, their team has massive holes in it and they need a bevy of picks.

They're not taking a QB and the Patriots... that's about all they need.

I guess, but at that point do you want to overpay Jimmy or spend a bunch of draft capital and get a rookie QB on a cost controlled contract for the next four years?
For me any point. He’s injury prone and not very good.

I think Bill wants to win now and not risk Jimmy going to FA. He'll do the deal with SF and restructure Jimmy's $26m. he may even throw in Stidham and Harry. Who knows.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back