PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

Sam Darnold becomes a variable if the Jets go Wilson. Not saying we’d get him, but he might shake loose another option.

I don’t see any team valuing Jimmy as much as the Patriots.
The fact him and Bill text back and forth which Is known.
This has been in the making.

This is patsfans.com

Posters who want to give up the next 40 1st round picks to move up for someone out of Southwest North Dakota State can only see giving up 8th round picks for the one QB Belichick has truly valued outside of Brady these past 20 years.

For me any point. He’s injury prone and not very good.
I'd take him as a free agent on a reasonable deal that only pays him if he plays.

I think Bill wants to win now and not risk Jimmy going to FA. He'll do the deal with SF and restructure Jimmy's $26m. he may even throw in Stidham and Harry. Who knows.
I think he'd trade a 2nd or 3rd maybe and want to have Jimmy's deal reworked entirely.

Other NFL teams have no money, they already shot their wad. Also Jimmy has a choice and he's not going to a dog.

Right now Jimmy is overpaid, even if they trade for him, they'll have to renegotiate his deal just to fit him under the cap.
As of the time I'm posting this, here are the teams with the space to take on his contract as-is:
  • Jaguars
  • Colts
  • Broncos
  • Jets
  • Chargers
  • Panthers
  • Lions

Yeah, SF can say they intend to keep Jimmy, but it's no coincidence they were inquiring about Minshew just a couple days ago and now they make this move. It seems clear they were ensuring they can make a deal for him once they make this move for #3 and then move Garoppolo. Getting their dominos all lined up.

Following things logically might get you in trouble around here.

If Jimmy has 2021 here like he did in 2019 this place will jump for joy.
Okay. That was a loaded roster with arguably the best defense and TE in the league and he was the weak point and the offense was limited around him and he blew the biggest game... and this entire discussion is predicated on the team that had him that year wanting to part with him.

I wonder if SF is one of the "four teams" interested in Harry. I'd do a 2nd + Harry for Garoppolo. Maybe the 2022 first and Harry.

As of the time I'm posting this, here are the teams with the space to take on his contract as-is:
  • Jaguars
  • Colts
  • Broncos
  • Jets
  • Chargers
  • Panthers
  • Lions

Well you can take Jags, Jets, Colts, Chargers off that list and probably the Lions too. Ie, they already have their guys or will do so after the draft.

Between Stafford, JimmyG, and Bortles only one has a winning record as a starter.

And here's a hint it isn't Stafford or Bortles.
Not sure that proves anything. You know who else has a winning record as a starter? Cam Newton? You know who else? Mitchell Trubisky. Remember Jay Fiedler from the Miami Dolphins? He had a winning record in his career as well.

Comparing Jimmy with Stafford doesn’t work because Jimmy doesn’t have the arm talent Stafford has nor the overall resume. Stafford is a proven franchise QB (top 10 guy for the past decade) who has only missed 8 games in 10 years as the full time starter. He played for one of the worst run franchises in all of sports so I wouldn’t hold the W-L record against him, he’s not the reason why they were terrible. Jimmy missed more than that just last season.

Last edited:
I wonder if SF is one of the "four teams" interested in Harry. I'd do a 2nd + Harry for Garoppolo. Maybe the 2022 first and Harry.
Harry and LaCosse and call it a day..... If they need a CB throw in JoeJuan. :)

I like this from the article:

Schefter also said there was no way Belichick was trading Jimmy in the 1st place.

Bill didn’t trade him until his hand was absolutely forced when Brady had an MVP season, he couldn’t work a contract that kept both, and if he didn’t get a deal done, Jimmy was walking for nothing. He literally waited until he had no other options on that one.

My guess is a 3rd and future first or Gilmore and future first. I think teams would be mad to give up anything more than a late pick for Harry.

• Jaguars
  • Colts
  • Broncos
  • Jets
  • Chargers
  • Panthers
  • Lions
Jags, Colts, Jets, Chargers and Lions don't need a QB... so you're competing against the Panthers and Broncos. The Panthers have a pick in the first so they could draft a guy... so Denver. If I'm Jimmy I'm not going to Denver.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back