PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatFanKen Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you don't know this but absolutely nothing said on this board affects the Pats winning or losing. Nothing.

All we have here are a bunch of posters having opiniins and making observations. Some are correct, some are wrong. Yet others are woefully wrong and others one could say are prescient. That's all we have.

LOL! Dummy, I am saying the Pats winning or losing affects the culture on this board, not the other way around. Try reading comprehension.

The Patriots defense literally gave up a TD on every Bills drive in that game and you are going to blame Mac Jones for the loss. All things considered, he played better than most people in that game. That post season loss was clearly on the defense. Mac was 24 for 38 for 232 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs. Not great. Not awful. But since the Bills scored 47 points in that game, Mac would have had to be perfect for the Pats just not to get blown out.
Wow, Rob, you’re right— Mac Jones played pretty good in his 45,000,000 to 3 loss and is definitely the QB of the future with his super high ceiling. It would have been literally impossible to make that game even remotely competitive with a better QB. Every other QB in the league probably would have only mustered up a safety rather than a field goal.

Let’s extend him and try a new OC.

Dude, you posted this:

Tell me how I am lying when you did exactly what I accused you of.
Because you said you assumed I was including Kontra and I said no I was not.

I was talking about posters with football opinions. I made that clear to you, yet you chose to lie.

Lol, good on you then for predicting him to go from being average to completely broken and unusuable. With a new offensive coordinator who used to work for Alabama and everything.
Thanks. I nailed it but I wasn’t alone.

Wow, Rob, you’re right— Mac Jones played pretty good in his 45,000,000 to 3 loss and is definitely the QB of the future with his super high ceiling. It would have been literally impossible to make that game even remotely competitive with a better QB. Every other QB in the league probably would have only mustered up a safety rather than a field goal.

Let’s extend him and try a new OC.

I said he he didn't play great and he didn't play awful. And was one of the better Patriots players on the field during that game. You basically put the blame of the loss on Mac in the post I was responding to.

A better QB would have made it a more competitive game. Never said they wouldn't. But no QB can beat a team that score TD on every possession they have. Not even Brady. The complete meltdown by the Patriots' defense in that game was historic. Yet, you seem to want to blame Mac for it.

BTW, it was 47-17. Maybe the Pats would have scored more if the defense didn't let the Bills offense have their way with them.

Last edited:
Come on Ian, "anybody but Mac" is essentially the same thing. Plenty of people did not trust him to start. Whether that's because he would continue to suck and throw INTs, or he would really suck and throw even more INTs, is a distinction without a meaningful difference.
Again, what happened with him is kind of unprecedented. I get plenty of people thought he wouldn’t be good enough. I would say this was definitely beyond any worst case scenario. But at this point, it is what it is. We are obviously onto the next guy, whether it’s Zappe, or someone else.

With Mac, I go back to the Ravens game early last season. He really showed his upside in that game, he and Parker went off for 180+ yards, the offense moved the ball at will, he hit throws at every level, he scrambled better than I've ever seen him do. He looked not only promising but already there. Then he got hurt on the last play of that game, missed a month, and he's never really been the same since.

Though I have to admit he threw 3 picks that day which I was willing to overlook at the time cause they were arguably not his fault, but turnovers have proven to be his downfall.

Again, what happened with him is kind of unprecedented. I get plenty of people thought he wouldn’t be good enough. I would say this was definitely beyond any worst case scenario. But at this point, it is what it is. We are obviously onto the next guy, whether it’s Zappe, or someone else.

Yeah, the last time I remeber seeing a QB implode like this because of PTSD was Tony Eason. Whether or not Mac could ever be a good QB or not, what we saw over the last six weeks was not him. He was seeing ghosts and hearing footsteps and just a mental wreck. That is why Belichick should have never kept playing and benching him. Destroyed this guy even more.

But ultimately, Mac mental weakness was on him. Belichick did him no favors by putting him in a position to fail, but he is doing the same thing now with Zappe and I tend to doubt Zappe will fall apart mentally. Zappe seems to have more confidence and not as easily rattled.

I admit I underestimated Mac's lack of mental strength even though there were signs even when he was drafted. But anyone claiming to predict this implosion are either lying or just hated Mac enough that them being right was just dumb luck.

I said he he didn't play great and he didn't play awful. And was one of the better Patriots players on the field during that game. You basically put the blame of the loss on Mac in the post I was responding to.

A better QB would have made it a more competitive game. Never said they wouldn't. But no QB can beat a team that score TD on every possession they have. Not even Brady. The complete meltdown by the Patriots' defense in that game was historic. Yet, you seem to want to blame Mac for it.

BTW, it was 47-17. Maybe the Pats would have scored more if the defense didn't let the Bills offense have their way with them.
The Buffalo playoff game is a red herring. The Bills were a better overall team, and the loss was more about poor D anyway. Whether they lost 47-17 or 30-17, didn't matter.

People called out his mental fortitude too. At the very least that's foreseeing the potential for the psychological breakdown we saw along with his play.

Again, people, that supported Mac, myself included, did it because the alternative, ie QB purgatory, is a bad place to be. People confuse supporting Mac with being satisfied with their quarterback situation. That wasn’t the case, the goal was to have someone serviceable so they could at least have a placeholder to be able to draft other guys and hopefully find an elite player at some point, while being competitive, in the meantime.
That was your goal Ian, you made that absolutely clear. If I recall, at the time there were quite a few posters decrying Mac's shortcomings, both athletically and mentally. There were a bunch of other posters complaining about those posters being too negative. You were trying to maintain a more positive outlook on the board. That's your job.

But your entire approach was based on "hope," not any objective view of what was happening. I even remember you posting an article on twitter predicting they would go 13-4, which was blasted by the local media.

There just seems to be a major disconnect by how some view the purpose of this board:

1. Is it to serve as a homer forum where all we do is blindly root for the team to win and when they don't, shrug our shoulders and say, I trust Bill? Or

2. Is it a place where we can view what's happening with the team, add our perspective, including criticism of players/coaches we don't believe are adding value. This group also wants the team to win but wants changes to make the team better and not just blindly trust Bill.

Those applauding his failure are now going to have to suffer just like the rest of us while we now root for Zappe to hopefully do the same thing. And it’s in our best interest to hope he can potentially develop into something in the off chance the next person competing with him doesn’t pan out , whether that’s a draft pick or a veteran.
Nobody is applauding his failure, we're just not surprised by it. The same goes for Bill. I've been saying for 3 seasons that Bill no longer connects with the players and can't get them to buy in. Way too many mistakes, penalties, poor play from his hand picked players, coached by his hand picked coaches. It is what it is.

I never read Kens novels because I just don't have the time. Most people seemed to like them.But would it be correct to say he was one of the chief finger waggers at anyone who questioned the HC of the NEP? I think I'm right, but please someone correct if I'm not.
I didn’t see that. I think Ken looked at things from the perspective of a coach, naturally enough. That may have made him more sympathetic to Bill than some would have liked. It seems to me that Team Anti-Bill often shows the attitude that if you’re not with us you’re against us even when it’s not that black or white. My recollection is that Ken would analyze and explain more than criticize, but again that my perspective through my personal filters, and that’s the approach I’d prefer to see.

Wheres Ken? Sitting back shaking his head and eating 1701719231254.jpeg

Last edited:
Never change Robo, you're comedy gold.
If we're being honest, Rob does serve a purpose as the moronic takes guy that can make board discussions more interesting.

If we're being honest, Rob does serve a purpose as the moronic takes guy that can make board discussions more interesting.

So at least between the two of us, we have one poster who actually adds value to the board and is not on most people's ignore list.

With Mac, I go back to the Ravens game early last season. He really showed his upside in that game, he and Parker went off for 180+ yards, the offense moved the ball at will, he hit throws at every level, he scrambled better than I've ever seen him do. He looked not only promising but already there. Then he got hurt on the last play of that game, missed a month, and he's never really been the same since.

Though I have to admit he threw 3 picks that day which I was willing to overlook at the time cause they were arguably not his fault, but turnovers have proven to be his downfall.
I wish I had your glass half full upside vision looking back at these beauties:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing