PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Chung rated 2nd best Strong Safety in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
That post was a joke about his own username.

egg-face-flickr.jpg

He's improved treendously. I think he had an injured shoulder at the end of his first run, but more than that his coverage was gawd awful. Cringeworthy. I can't imagine how much work he did on that, because he's very good in coverage now.

He's improved treendously. I think he had an injured shoulder at the end of his first run, but more than that his coverage was gawd awful. Cringeworthy. I can't imagine how much work he did on that, because he's very good in coverage now.

To be fair, he is not tall or long so he lacks range. It is what it is. Not everyone can be a longer, faster safety. Honestly, the way the rule are now, you need to be an artist in coverage and chung definitely has that.

To be fair, he is not tall or long so he lacks range. It is what it is. Not everyone can be a longer, faster safety. Honestly, the way the rule are now, you need to be an artist in coverage and chung definitely has that.

Nevertheless, when he first started, BB was putting him in coverage more than you'd think,probably to test him. He was really bad. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. This is when he was playing real well athletically and physically too.

Might have been in camp too.

Nevertheless, when he first started, BB was putting him in coverage more than you'd think,probably to test him. He was really bad. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. This is when he was playing real well athletically and physically too.

Might have been in camp too.

But, i think he was forced to like i was pointing out above. Bb had dashon goldson (was not a huge fan) in for an interview i believe in 2011, a but goldson wanted money only. But, i think that was sort of a reflection of how unstable the back end was, on top of moving mccourty there.

But, the tell, to me, was the rule changes in 2006, middle of the field passes with slot wrs and move tight ends, where you want some size/speed, but you don’t want to be compromised against the run or pass. So, no subbing to match up,which meant one of your linebackers needed to be special like how you see kam chancellor now.

But, in 2008 he had tank williams in camp and 2009he had john lynch in camp to try it and both ran off and retired. Lol

Very demanding role. Chung is really tough, too. That goal line play before the butler interception in sb 49,chung allowed hightower to make that tackle.

If Chung hadn't left, or if the Patriots had paid Chung more, Tavon Wilson and Jordan Richards never would have happened!

Instead the Patriots could have taken RBs like Tevin Coleman or David Johnson! CBs like Casey Heyward, DT like Jurrell Casey, or a G like Kelechi Osemele,

For the sake of consistency, can we change "Kelechi" to "Casey"?

In a straight fight between Muhammed Ali and Bruce Lee – Pat Chung would win.

Pat Chung can delete the recylcling bin.

Once a cobra bit Pat Chung's leg. After 5 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.

But, i think he was forced to like i was pointing out above. Bb had dashon goldson (was not a huge fan) in for an interview i believe in 2011, a but goldson wanted money only. But, i think that was sort of a reflection of how unstable the back end was, on top of moving mccourty there.

But, the tell, to me, was the rule changes in 2006, middle of the field passes with slot wrs and move tight ends, where you want some size/speed, but you don’t want to be compromised against the run or pass. So, no subbing to match up,which meant one of your linebackers needed to be special like how you see kam chancellor now.

But, in 2008 he had tank williams in camp and 2009he had john lynch in camp to try it and both ran off and retired. Lol

Very demanding role. Chung is really tough, too. That goal line play before the butler interception in sb 49,chung allowed hightower to make that tackle.

I was one [only?] of his biggest boosters when he got his second shot here. He was outstanding in the strong safety type role, I thought. He screwed up some sort of fake punt which got people down on him too. Horrible at coverage first time around, though. Maybe somebody else will chime in. Of course, he wasn't put in position to need to cover much playing that hybrid role, but it was also because he'd really sucked at it.

I was one [only?] of his biggest boosters when he got his second shot here. He was outstanding in the strong safety type role, I thought. He screwed up some sort of fake punt which got people down on him too. Horrible at coverage first time around, though. Maybe somebody else will chime in. Of course, he wasn't put in position to need to cover much playing that hybrid role, but it was also because he'd really sucked at it.

I think what you are missing is who chung was playing with on the front end of the rebuild and who he plays with now.

I know chung had a shoulder injury and I think it was always tender last part of his 1st stint. Of course I think he was trying to hide it, but he was never the hitter he used to be, then was dropped. [Or was it a trade?]

He was dropped.

So is Chung the only example of us letting a player leave and then bringing him back to an even more successful stint?
TBC

So is Chung the only example of us letting a player leave and then bringing him back to an even more successful stint?
Branch?

He screwed up some sort of fake punt which got people down on him too.
Ya, he was the punter protector and during the playoffs loss to the Jest he called for a direct snap to himself...and got buried. In the Patriots’ territory. They lost. But he was, I think, only a second year player and he had a lot of responsibility already.

Trying to keep track of the players who have been back and forth between Pats and Eagles. I don’t recall any SBs having close to as many.

Chris Long
LaGarrette Blount
Dion Lewis
Eric Rowe
Patrick Chung
Danny Amendola

Is that all of them?

I honestly think BB botched his use in 2010, 2011, 2012, simply because he did truly have him as a classic SS, where if you remember, BB was forced to move McCourty to Safety in 2011, due to a spinning wheel of people back there, from Sergio Brown to -insert JAG name here-....
It’s unbelievable that Sergio Brown is still in the league - he was bloody awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes