PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

Just don't understand what proof you have to show that torch has been passed?

You have to beat Brady at Foxborough to even start to claim the torch has been passed..

he did beat him Dee Ford is a nob, otherwise yes he beat him.... Even the most level headed Pats fan can agree with that...
You know why I don't care about that play? It should have been an easy catch for about 5 yards anyway. Gronk was wide open and should have had that ball to begin with. So I don't feel bad for it.

he did beat him Dee Ford is a nob, otherwise yes he beat him.... Even the most level headed Pats fan can agree with that...
Again using your logic, Chiefs lose on the fumble that was called back because of Jackson's "nob" holding penalty on the other side of the field. Your logic is crap as is your ability to take a loss and move on. Your boy is good no doubt, he doesn't need you poorly defending him like this, he would probably tell you to stfu.

Last edited:
Just don't understand what proof you have to show that torch has been passed?

You have to beat Brady at Foxborough to even start to claim the torch has been passed..
Needs to beat him anywhere before you can even have the discussion.

16-31 in the AFCCG, another choke at home, and 4-4 down the stretch.

Yeah, Alex Smith did better than that.

Another fan who thinks QB rating and making flashy throws is all that makes a great QB.... My eye saw yet another QB taking awful sacks all game (that sack to take them out of FG range, the strip sack he lucky recovered). A smart QB throws it away. He had trouble reading the D and getting his O into the right play and he was holding on to the ball way too long. You simply don't make enough flashy plays to overcome the negative plays.

Then you watched Brady, audibling all over the place to get the O into the best play, and knew exactly where to go with the ball so he wasnt holding too long. Thats what makes a great QB and it doesnt show up on any statline.

I think Mahomes did have an MVP season, but you need to do more than just play fantasy football to win in the playoffs. Just go ask Peyton about those Colt years....

Mahomes also needs to show that he isnt just a flash in the pan. There have been many QBs the last decade that were supposed to be 'the next great QB', only to come crashing back down to Earth. But Brady is still here and he isnt going anywhere.

Lets also not forget the differences between the two offenses. Mahomes was healthy all year and was surrounded by pro bowl talent. Brady dealt with a knee injury for half the season and had a revolving door. Gronk was a shell of himself, Edelman missed 4 games and was coming back from a serious ACL injury, no Cooks, no Amendola, no Lewis, Burkhead missed significant time, Michel missed time, Hogan looked more like the cast off he was not 7/11...

But then look at the last 4-5 games where Brady said he is healthy and it looks like Edelman is back (and not dropping every other pass), and the rest of the weapons are healthy... And he is back to looking like vintage Brady.

GB, SEA, ATL were all supposed to be the next Dynasty at points this decade... Mahomes hasnt proved anything yet

You are a good guy, but the one thing none of you “new” qb fans get... it doesn’t mean a thing til you pay your qb. This is the time you are suppose to win. Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Newton, once you pay a guy top dollar it gets a lot harder. Talk to me when Mahomes is making 25 mil a year and your terrible defense has no money to spend on it.

You forgot the Oline degrades too, and you pick at the bottom of every round of the draft so there are limited replacements. Tension due to divas wanting to get paid, on and on. Seattle finally purged all of that but they are not even close to going to a Super Bowl.

Could you please a) go fix the misspelling in your thread title, and b) use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts before calling Dee Ford a nob? This board is in New England after all.

Last edited:
Another fan who thinks QB rating and making flashy throws is all that makes a great QB.... My eye saw yet another QB taking awful sacks all game (that sack to take them out of FG range, the strip sack he lucky recovered). A smart QB throws it away. He had trouble reading the D and getting his O into the right play and he was holding on to the ball way too long. You simply don't make enough flashy plays to overcome the negative plays.

Then you watched Brady, audibling all over the place to get the O into the best play, and knew exactly where to go with the ball so he wasnt holding too long. Thats what makes a great QB and it doesnt show up on any statline.

I think Mahomes did have an MVP season, but you need to do more than just play fantasy football to win in the playoffs. Just go ask Peyton about those Colt years....

Mahomes also needs to show that he isnt just a flash in the pan. There have been many QBs the last decade that were supposed to be 'the next great QB', only to come crashing back down to Earth. But Brady is still here and he isnt going anywhere.

Lets also not forget the differences between the two offenses. Mahomes was healthy all year and was surrounded by pro bowl talent. Brady dealt with a knee injury for half the season and had a revolving door. Gronk was a shell of himself, Edelman missed 4 games and was coming back from a serious ACL injury, no Cooks, no Amendola, no Lewis, Burkhead missed significant time, Michel missed time, Hogan looked more like the cast off he was not 7/11...

But then look at the last 4-5 games where Brady said he is healthy and it looks like Edelman is back (and not dropping every other pass), and the rest of the weapons are healthy... And he is back to looking like vintage Brady.

GB, SEA, ATL were all supposed to be the next Dynasty at points this decade... Mahomes hasnt proved anything yet

Mahomes has one more season before he signs a $40M per year deal and the team is lucky to win 10 games going forward. Welcome to world of the mega contract, Patrick. I’m sure you’ll be just an awe-shucks loveable loser when you’re face of the NFL with every season ending in disappointment.

Look not trolling just telling it like it is and you guys have to agree on this. I mean its so obvious just with the eye test, Mahomes is now leaps and bounds better than Brady. I mean its like a freshman vs varsity QB. Look even if we say Brady is the second best QB, which is probably is not anymore, but just saying he is, the gap between he and Mahomes is so big you can drive Texas thru it.

Look you have better coaching and at the end of the day that is what pushed you ahead, you deserved it, the Hoodie is better than anyone else.

I just can't believe that you guys don't think the Torch has been passed "strickly" at the QB level. It will not pass at the coaching level until Bel retires. Crazy your still holding onto that with Brady. having the second best QB is still better than 30 other teams.

Said it before and I will say it again, you are focusing too much on the flashy big plays that make you go wow. PM is not the first and I would bet a ton he won’t be the last that catches absolute fire for a year and looks like the GOAT or “next HOF QB”. **** just last year Wentz was gonna be a 15 year pro bowler. The list is long of QB’s Brady has outlasted that tried to take his torch and yet again he rose from the ashes to say from my cold dead hands young’n.

What makes Brady the GOAT is his reading D at the line, he has seen it all and knows how to beat it. The ball is out in an average of 2.1 seconds so the greatest pass rush can’t get there. He aligns the blocking scheme like no QB I have ever seen, P. Manning got all the attention with his arm flapping theatrics, but Brady just calmly tells everyone who they got. I think it was Cameron Wake who after a game said they threw 56 exotic looks at Brady and he got every one of them, not a single free rusher. He was in awe, as that is just not done. Yeah it’s not flashy, no it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet, but it’s how you win games, something Brady has done at an obscene level for a historic long time. So until “showtime” has done it, and actually done it not just come close, for more then a year....yeah no torch has been passed.

Now all of that said, I like PM, he is exciting and stupidly athletic. However, more exciting if I was a chief fan, is his pro bowl interview. He was asked about the defense getting shredded and what they have to do to get it better. His response? We scored zero points in the first half, we all have to play better. Asked about his 50 Td’s he talked about not winning a super bowl and that his end of the year meeting with Andy was all about becoming a better leader. He recognized that he was very young and needs to be able to get a 10 year vet to follow him. PM talked about his plans for the offseason and it wasn’t about getting stronger or faster, it was being a better leader and QB.

So I understand your excitement about the future cuz this kids looks very bright indeed. Now if he can do it, and finish, then the torch might have been passed but as of right now? Tom F’in Brady is going to his 9th! Super Bowl. 9. As in a single player with more then any other FRANCHISE. He has done it thru smarts, preparation, will power, and most of all heart. I see no decline and he is still the only QB I want leading my team for at least the next couple years.

Said it before and I will say it again, you are focusing too much on the flashy big plays that make you go wow. PM is not the first and I would bet a ton he won’t be the last that catches absolute fire for a year and looks like the GOAT or “next HOF QB”. **** just last year Wentz was gonna be a 15 year pro bowler. The list is long of QB’s Brady has outlasted that tried to take his torch and yet again he rose from the ashes to say from my cold dead hands young’n.

What makes Brady the GOAT is his reading D at the line, he has seen it all and knows how to beat it. The ball is out in an average of 2.1 seconds so the greatest pass rush can’t get there. He aligns the blocking scheme like no QB I have ever seen, P. Manning got all the attention with his arm flapping theatrics, but Brady just calmly tells everyone who they got. I think it was Cameron Wake who after a game said they threw 56 exotic looks at Brady and he got every one of them, not a single free rusher. He was in awe, as that is just not done. Yeah it’s not flashy, no it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet, but it’s how you win games, something Brady has done at an obscene level for a historic long time. So until “showtime” has done it, and actually done it not just come close, for more then a year....yeah no torch has been passed.

Now all of that said, I like PM, he is exciting and stupidly athletic. However, more exciting if I was a chief fan, is his pro bowl interview. He was asked about the defense getting shredded and what they have to do to get it better. His response? We scored zero points in the first half, we all have to play better. Asked about his 50 Td’s he talked about not winning a super bowl and that his end of the year meeting with Andy was all about becoming a better leader. He recognized that he was very young and needs to be able to get a 10 year vet to follow him. PM talked about his plans for the offseason and it wasn’t about getting stronger or faster, it was being a better leader and QB.

So I understand your excitement about the future cuz this kids looks very bright indeed. Now if he can do it, and finish, then the torch might have been passed but as of right now? Tom F’in Brady is going to his 9th! Super Bowl. 9. As in a single player with more then any other FRANCHISE. He has done it thru smarts, preparation, will power, and most of all heart. I see no decline and he is still the only QB I want leading my team for at least the next couple years.

Look I'm not saying Brady is bad, what I'm saying is that 11 play on offense and 11 on defense and they all have roles and can cause the other to falter. Brady has become a system QB over the last couple of years and I give the Hoodie all the credit in the world for understanding that he isn't what he used to be physically.

Is he good? yes and I guess it could be argued that he is the second best but Mahomes is so clearly better its not even close.

People will draw other comparisons but there isn't anyone like him. He came out as a junior and didn't play but one washup game that didn't matter week 16. So basically he is maturity wise and experience wise a rookie. There has never been a rookie in the HISTORY of the NFL that has ever even come close to doing what he has done. I mean not someone who is similar etc like no one has even come close. compare any QB's rookie numbers against his and it pales in comparison. Take this plus the just raw talent he has and its so obvious.

Guys you are taking this the wrong way, are you the better team? Yes, do you have a better coach? hell yes, do you have better assistant coaches? hell yes. And you have the second best QB, my whole point was watching the game it was obvious that the torch had been passed and Brady knew it. Heck even the QBR in the game said so ( Brady 77.1, Mahomes 117) I mean come on guys it wasn't even close who is the better QB, even head to head he was leaps and bounds better, he was lucky that he has such good coaching.

End of the day I know most will not admit it out loud but you know its true. But look you should be proud you have a very good 53.

Perfect post. I think this captures the sentiment of most Pats fans.

I recently lurked on a Steelers forum, and all these years later, they begrudgingly give TB a tiny bit of respect, then are quick to point out that Roethlisberger would win at least as many rings with the Pats (lol) while Brady would have been out of the NFL fifteen years ago in Pittsburgh (lol). Really? After all these years, the same guy dominating you over and over while your guy constantly lets you down? It’s like a psychosis.

Look I'm not saying Brady is bad, what I'm saying is that 11 play on offense and 11 on defense and they all have roles and can cause the other to falter. Brady has become a system QB over the last couple of years and I give the Hoodie all the credit in the world for understanding that he isn't what he used to be physically.

Is he good? yes and I guess it could be argued that he is the second best but Mahomes is so clearly better its not even close.

People will draw other comparisons but there isn't anyone like him. He came out as a junior and didn't play but one washup game that didn't matter week 16. So basically he is maturity wise and experience wise a rookie. There has never been a rookie in the HISTORY of the NFL that has ever even come close to doing what he has done. I mean not someone who is similar etc like no one has even come close. compare any QB's rookie numbers against his and it pales in comparison. Take this plus the just raw talent he has and its so obvious.

Guys you are taking this the wrong way, are you the better team? Yes, do you have a better coach? hell yes, do you have better assistant coaches? hell yes. And you have the second best QB, my whole point was watching the game it was obvious that the torch had been passed and Brady knew it. Heck even the QBR in the game said so ( Brady 77.1, Mahomes 117) I mean come on guys it wasn't even close who is the better QB, even head to head he was leaps and bounds better, he was lucky that he has such good coaching.

End of the day I know most will not admit it out loud but you know its true. But look you should be proud you have a very good 53.
Zero first half points, refs let your boy back in the game. Go away.

Are you using some kind of random sentence scrambler to make it appear like this is anything new? We get it. You’re either a troll or a moron, and probably a combination of the two. Go j@ck off to Mahomes and get off this board. Your act is old.

I mean its so obvious just with the eye test, Mahomes is now leaps and bounds better than Brady.

Because he is not a better QB yet. Otherwise he would have been in the SB and not Brady. While his broken play ability kept your from being completely blown out at home in the AFCCG his inability to let a play go cost you easy points on the first drive and then he missed two easy throws on wheel routes for TDs.

He can't read complex coverages properly yet and panics under pressure. Just because he has an arm that gives him a bigger margin for error when scrambling around doesn't mean he is a better QB. I would not be surprised if he ends up injured at some point next year trying to be superman and make yet another play.

Take Andy Reid and his sometimes absolutely mindblowing designs away from Mahomes and he is Aaron Rodgers 2.0. While impressive in terms of highlights I am not sure you can really design a consistent offense around someone who thrives under chaos.

But then again this was his first real season which is pretty impressive so lets see where things stand next year.

Did you watch those last couple drives Brady had? They were QB clinics. Perfect passes to just the right spot at just the right time. You want to throw QB rating in? How many rushing TD’s did the pats have? Take two of those away and make them passing TD’s and his numbers are much higher. Brady threw two picks and the third one was taken away by Dee Ford lining up in Trent Browns pocket. Of those three throws one was an amazing read by a LB so credit where it’s due but I can see putting that on Brady. The other two both hit his receivers in the hands and they played volleyball with it. That’s not on Brady so no with context Brady’s number were just as good if not better then Mahomes. Again you are just looking at the stat sheet and not seeing all of the LITTLE things Brady does better then anyone else, even right now. Plus when you absolutely have to have it Brady rises up to another level.

I like PM, I think he has a very very bright future, but if I have to win one game I am going with Brady, even today, 13 out of 10 times. He is better today then PM full stop end of story. Now in 3-5 years? Who knows but I will be interested to see if PM can put in the work to reach his potential.

Brady has become a system QB over the last couple of years

Reading this from a Chiefs fan is so absurdly funny.

You are aware that your offense this year was 60% system, 30% broken plays that Mahomes turned around and then the rest.

For the most part your offense was great because of how Reid and whoever else is responsible for your offensive designed it and not because of Mahomes.

This is getting grotesque.

We have literally been hearing “Brady is just a system quarterback” for 18 years now. And yet here he is, preparing for his 9th Super Bowl.
Son, let me clue you in on something: the thing that makes Brady so great is his longevity and consistency. Lot of other guys came along, had a great season or two, then disappeared.

One day you will learn how quickly a QB can go from great season to mediocre season after losing a top WR, top TE, top RB or even a top OC.

Brady is a system QB.. to arguably one of the hardest offensive system to run, is the patriots run the Erhardt-Perkins system... that’s not the easiest system to run and master like Brady has done.

Oh and let’s not mention Brady can run any offensive that’s needed. If you give him the weapons, they go spread and look at the results of 07...

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back