PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing Game - Dorsett and Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

What is a trend is the 2018 difference between Brady and other top QB's with regard to being able to throw 50-50 balls very far downfield.

Perhaps we all should prefer Brady to others and this team with 2 minutes left and the game on the line. I will certainly be happy to be in that position.

However, in 2018, from what we've seen, I'n not sure that many other QB's would be a better bet: Ben, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and even Luck. Some would add a couple of the kids also.

The trend is we threw for over 300 yards per game over ten games then had one game where we demolished a team on the ground and only threw 24 passes.
One game is not a trend.

If it comes down to Dorsett OR Hogan, please play Dorsett. He at least has the athleticism to make plays. I don’t even know what Hogan is anymore besides mass that occupies space. Brady ain’t looking his way and probably shouldn’t. Hogan can only get open now if the entire play is designed to free him up by misdirection. I think his NFL career is over very soon. Dorsett is just frustrating because his timing always seems little off. Considering the lack of weapons, I think you roll with the guy with higher upside.

Both will be active and used. The open question is BRADY's use of them.

If it comes down to Dorsett OR Hogan, please play Dorsett. He at least has the athleticism to make plays. I don’t even know what Hogan is anymore besides mass that occupies space. Brady ain’t looking his way and probably shouldn’t. Hogan can only get open now if the entire play is designed to free him up by misdirection. I think his NFL career is over very soon. Dorsett is just frustrating because his timing always seems little off. Considering the lack of weapons, I think you roll with the guy with higher upside.

one game is not a trend overall, but if there is a big change in the passing offense, (ie josh no longer around), the previous trend also becomes worthless (unless you want to go back to the games before we acquired Josh)

its nice to say "yeah since getting josh we've been doing great!" then we lose josh and its not something we should take as the new norm
It’s one game and we ran for almost 300 yards.

I agree.

What is a trend is the 2018 difference between Brady and other top QB's with regard to being able to throw 50-50 balls very far downfield.

Perhaps we all should prefer Brady to others and this team with 2 minutes left and the game on the line. I will certainly be happy to be in that position.

However, in 2018, from what we've seen, I'n not sure that many other QB's would be a better bet: Ben, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and even Luck. Some would add a couple of the kids also.
That’s funny.

Brady doesn’t throw 50/50 balls because that’s not good quarterbacking. He never has.
I’ll take the GOAT you can have the others guys. How quickly you bail.

I don't bail. However, I don't think that denial is a reasonable option. The fact that there are QB's that I would chose over Brady isn't bailing. I guess it is for some. They will believe that Brady is the best TODAY until he is retired, and even then will still believe that he could come back and be the very best in the NFL.

We have as good a chance as any to win the SB, even with Brady physically at less than his best (by far I think).

Brady had indeed thrown long balls that were basically 50-50 balls in the past.

I hope that the issues ARE related to injury and the issues hopefully are somewhat less as we enter the playoffs, and certainly for next year.

That’s funny.

Brady doesn’t throw 50/50 balls because that’s not good quarterbacking. He never has.

I don't bail. However, I don't think that denial is a reasonable option. The fact that there are QB's that I would chose over Brady isn't bailing. I guess it is for some. They will believe that Brady is the best TODAY until he is retired, and even then will still believe that he could come back and be the very best in the NFL.
I’m talking about unbiased reasonable analysis.

We have as good a chance as any to win the SB, even with Brady physically at less than his best (by far I think).

Brady had indeed thrown long balls that were basically 50-50 balls in the past.
Maybe on an extremely rare occasion but it’s way way closer to never than often.

I hope that the issues ARE related to injury and the issues hopefully are somewhat less as we enter the playoffs, and certainly for next year.
Prior to the last game when they ran for almost 300 yards he had thrown for more than 3000 yards in his last 10 games.
You are listening to the people who are trying to find a way to knock him and they are wrong.

Both will be active and used. The open question is BRADY's use of them.
And Brady will make better decision ofusing them than anyone else would. You seem to have forgotten who our qb is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4th-quarter INT intended for Gronk at the stealers' 3.
He was trying to throw it away and didn’t get enough on it. He wasn’t throwing a 50/50 ball.

I think we have three guys who can run and catch passes and a line and fullback who can really run block. We'll need to ride that and work the passing game from play action. I thik Gronk will get better, but if he doesn't he's basically a typical TE with great hands. We're used to super human. If doubled, someone's open. If not, I'm confident he can still go off and hurt teams.

Hogan and Dorsett have had their moments. They should get a lot of work at practice. Then there's Cordarelle. Not like we're breaking in new guys. All teams have weak spots, from not playing well at the end to holes due to salary cap. We can score if our D goes along.

That’s funny.

What? Brady has thrown a ton of 50/50 balls over the course of his career. He threw many of them to Gronk and Gordon this year and threw one to Hogan against Houston. Two of his most famous TD passes, going back to '07, were 50/50 balls to Moss in Miami. He just has to trust his guy to go up and get it in order to do it. If he doesn't, he won't throw it.

IMO they are trying to build up the running game and the pass-catching of the RBs for the playoff run as Gronk is hurt, Gordon is gone, Edelman suddenly has butterfingers and can't be the only viable target anyway, Hogan and Dorsett cannot get open, and there is nobody else. The Pats are doing what they always do - trying to come up with game plans that play to their strengths. Just not sure it will be near enough this year. But, whatever, let's enjoy the ride. Go Patriots!

IMO they are trying to build up the running game and the pass-catching of the RBs for the playoff run as Gronk is hurt, Gordon is gone, Edelman suddenly has butterfingers and can't be the only viable target anyway, Hogan and Dorsett cannot get open, and there is nobody else. The Pats are doing what they always do - trying to come up with game plans that play to their strengths. Just not sure it will be near enough this year. But, whatever, let's enjoy the ride. Go Patriots!
I agree. In addition, so much has been written about Gronk not being the same player. Today, is there another TE who can block like Gronk?

I agree. In addition, so much has been written about Gronk not being the same player. Today, is there another TE who can block like Gronk?
There still isn't, and even in this reduced form, he is a top 5 TE.

Many factors playing into the suckitude of the passing offense Sunday. Brady looking gimpy, Gordon's sudden departure, and, lets not forget, a very strong pass defense in Buffalo.

Look at Brady's numbers...4100/25/11...this is a cliff? If so, it is the greatest decline in history. His play looks no worse than it did in December, 2015 (when his entire offense was injured).

They had lost a key WR after they would already have had their game plan made and given to the players, so they'd have been working on a hastily re-done plan. They had 2 INTs that receivers screwed up on, and the run game was killing the Bills. It actually makes sense for the team to have decided that passing . In the previous 7 weeks, the passing game had produced

yards. So, while the passing game hasn't been quite what people thought it might be with the Edelman/Gordon/Gronk trio, it was still putting up some pretty good numbers.
Good point about the timeframe and how changing gameplans would have been a poor decision. As we know, attempting to throw more wouldn’t have made any sense, but I think there is some worry for how these mediocre receiving options (in my opinion) will fare moving forward.

As you pointed out, the offense moved well enough in the air with Gordon here, but I think his departure will bring the weaknesses of his surrounding cast to light. Of course, I hope that my concerns are unfounded. Fingers crossed that we can get either 1) a rejuvenated Gronk, or 2) a big showing from Hogan, Patterson, or Dorsett. I think that they’re going to need at least one of those things to happen in order to make it past the AFC, let alone NFC. As of now, I guess I’m just a bit skeptical that either one of those things can happen based on what we’ve seen, thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes