PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers fire GM

Most every team suffers roster depth issues after shelling out big bucks to the star QB.....forcing even the best run teams into difficult personnel decisions that almost always negatively impact the team's success.
Luck, Newton, Wilson, Flacco, Big Ben......even Brady back in the day

This is nuts. Something must have happened beyond football.

You don't fire your GM a year removed from a SB in which the franchise QB was hurt last year with less than a couple of weeks to go until TC.

Last edited:
He did botch the secondary pretty hard last year. I know he also deserves credit for drafting decent replacements in Bradberry and Worley, but c'mon...he let Norman walk for nothing despite (IIRC) not needing the cap space for anything else.

Then, consider the WRs Newton has had to work with lately. His top targets have been Olsen (a tight end), 1 good year of Kelvin Benjamin, and...Ginn? This went on for years w ith no real sense of urgency. Even when they took one early, it was a slow, borderline TE in Funchess.
PUHLLEEEZZZZE. What should we do with the GM who picked the likes of CJackson, RDowling, and added Ochocino, Haynesworth, and to some AThomas in the FA markets. Maybe we should fire his ass too. Christ, you can find a dozen so called misses from ANY GM if we get to use 20-20 hindsight as you seemed to have done.

By all accounts, Gettleman had done a decent job building a team that looked to be ready to be an annual contender until last season's hiccup, which was do more to key injuries than bad GM choices.

BTW- Gettleman grew up in Boston (Mattapan), attended Boston Latin and went to Springfield college. He had a decade long sucessfull HS HCing career, before he went to the Bills as an intern and quickly transitioned to personnel as a scout. He then moved up the ladder with the Broncos and Giants before getting the Panther job. He's 5 years younger than me. I grew up in Dorchester (next Boston neighborhood over). I never knew him though I know people who did.

FYI - Boston is really small area wise, and anyone who ever grew up there would never say they are from Boston. You were from Dorchester, Mattappan, Roxbury, Hyde Park, JP, or WRoxbury. Your neighborhood was your identity, not the city.

PUHLLEEEZZZZE. What should we do with the GM who picked the likes of CJackson, RDowling, and added Ochocino, Haynesworth, and to some AThomas in the FA markets. Maybe we should fire his ass too. Christ, you can find a dozen so called misses from ANY GM if we get to use 20-20 hindsight as you seemed to have done.

By all accounts, Gettleman had done a decent job building a team that looked to be ready to be an annual contender until last season's hiccup, which was do more to key injuries than bad GM choices.

BTW- Gettleman grew up in Boston (Mattapan), attended Boston Latin and went to Springfield college. He had a decade long sucessfull HS HCing career, before he went to the Bills as an intern and quickly transitioned to personnel as a scout. He then moved up the ladder with the Broncos and Giants before getting the Panther job. He's 5 years younger than me. I grew up in Dorchester (next Boston neighborhood over). I never knew him though I know people who did.

FYI - Boston is really small area wise, and anyone who ever grew up there would never say they are from Boston. You were from Dorchester, Mattappan, Roxbury, Hyde Park, JP, or WRoxbury. Your neighborhood was your identity, not the city.

Response to first half: Did you miss my later post in which I admit I'm mostly just throwing out guesses as to why this may have happened?

Response to second half: Funny how if you live in Boston, you identify with a more specific neighborhood, but if I tell anyone out of state that I'm from Western Mass, they ask how Boston is.

IMO, this was a mistake. Gettleman made some mistakes , but heck, everyone has a blunder or two.

I read that he wasnt willing to sign Olsen (33 yo) a new rich contract, which is far from an absurd.

Carolina had only a mediocre season after SB 50, which isnt a big deal.

What's with all these GM's getting fired so late?

Not every player will get the contract they feel they're owed.
Not every team can max out every player that may deserve giant contracts.
And good teams don't let players dictate terms....especially publicly.
From my lofty perch, it seems Gettleman was opposed to letting the inmates run the prison.....or an aging owner retain his binkies.

Florio's recent take...

Thomas Davis contract could have been central to Gettleman’s firing

Last edited:
Cam's sandlot style is just as much the problem as whoever he's trying to throw to.

Uh oh....that post could be construed to be obliquely racist..in which case you'll owe Cam and all his forebears money.

"“I said it since Day One: I’m an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven’t seen nothing that they can compare me to,” the Super Bowl-bound QB responded."

Don't even TRY to marginalize Newton. Focus instead on that white fairy cheating liar of a lucky his wife's richer than him jerk, Tom Brady.

Uh oh....that post could be construed to be obliquely racist..in which case you'll owe Cam and all his forebears money.

"“I said it since Day One: I’m an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven’t seen nothing that they can compare me to,” the Super Bowl-bound QB responded."

Don't even TRY to marginalize Newton. Focus instead on that white fairy cheating liar of a lucky his wife's richer than him jerk, Tom Brady.
I will maintain my anecdotally confirmed position that the fact Cam Newton remains an undisciplined, immature dope with delusions of grandeur has NOTHING to do with race.

"anecdotally" is a racist term used to keep everyone who doesn't understand its' meaning down...welcome to 2017
So says the Patsfans member whose avatar is a mugshot photo of a black man in police custody. ;)

Interesting how the initial tweet from CAR said he was "relieved of his duties". Fired, indeed!

Interesting how the initial tweet from CAR said he was "relieved of his duties". Fired, indeed!
It might've been a reference to him feeling relieved that his career future no longer hinged on managing that erratic numbskull Cam Newton.

Well I guess if you are going to fire your GM, now would be the time to do it. If you assume that whatever team he has assembled is the team you are going to take into the season.

Gettleman made the tough choice not to re-sign the world's angriest man, and he was probably right. Newton has Olsen and Benjamin two very good receivers plus he had the immortal Ted Ginn, so I'm not buying the "Cam didn't have anyone to throw to" defense. Plus they drafted McCaffry and another Ohio St. WR in the first two rounds.

Newton is basically Richard Seymour playing QB, he is the same size as both Olsen and Benjamin (6'5" 250). That is a huge man playing QB. The problem with Newton is that by the time he matures and learns to read defenses (if that ever really happens) he will be too beat up to actually play. He is going into his 8th year and the toll of being the Panthers short yardage back has already taken its toll on him. I predict that he will be out of the league before Brady is.

Peyton and Brady have shown that being able to read defenses and change plays at the line of scrimmage is so much more important than your 40 time or your arm strength. By the time that Newton or any other read option/running QB (regardless of race) ever aquires this type of knowledge, his body will not be able to perform the job anymore.

Ha! I live 40 miles from Charlotte, so there are some. Mainly Clemson fans - ugh.

I'm in the Southern part of the state (near Charleston) it's all Gamecocks and Clemson for the natives (which don't seem to think they have a team in the NFL), the transplants/ex-pats are all Steelers, Giants, Ravens, and Patriot fans.

After Super Bowl LI, some angry fans made a giant homemade sign that read "New England fans go back home!" and posted it on the entrance to our neighborhood. Which I thought was awesome.

(disclosure: I moved down here three years ago after spending over 20 years in Massachusetts)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back