PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers to Target McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Appearantly Packers are putting In requests to interview 10 current coaches in the NFL and Josh Mcdaniels is on the top of the wish list.
Supposedly it's him and Pat Fitzgerald as their top two targets.

He’s an “offensive genius” and “great” head coaching candidate just like Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels 1.0, and a slew of other OCs with elite QBs. He failed miserably in Denver and St. Louis. I’ve found myself very frustrated with his unimaginative concepts and irrational groupings the last two years.

I know many won’t agree with me and that’s fine. If you’re looking for specific reasons: the 2017 Cooks-centric offense, especially in the red zone, was not good last year, and the team showed in the SB they were better off without designing everything around Cooks, who really wasn’t good in the red zone but was still frequently the primary target. Notice that the moment he left the game they stopped playing like scripted, first-read robots and didn’t struggle in short yardage situations any more.

This years red zone offense had been laughable with the passing game. Patterson should be in there every play inside the 10 and motioning for a potential end around sweep, forcing the defense to account for him, but he’s on the bench. Instead they had Gordon and Gronkowski, who are thrown to about 0.1% of the time, and for some buzzard reason, Hogan (instead of the quicker Dorsett who can separate quickly.). Double James White and Brady will throw it away. The broadcasters have frequently pointed out the inane receiving routes that are so easily covered close to the goal line, and how they’re literally the same plays on loop. They should be using Patterson as a backfield threat way more often than they do.

Every run / pass play is so incredibly predictable as well. I can literally call the play about 95% of the time before it’s snapped. I went to the Lions game and someone sitting next to me thought I was clairvoyant. Nope, just seen enough of McDaniels to know. Running up the middle when the line is dominated instead of trying more sweeps that actually work. Happens so often now with this offense, with several road losses being huge examples of a 1966 smash mouth game plan accidentally landing in the modern NFL.

Hindsight may be 20:20, but before Brady injured his knee catching a stupid pass, was there anyone on this entire forum who would have thought it was worth the risk for ten whole yards to have your 41 year old QB running an unnecessary trick play like that?

I’ve been ranting about his gradual stubbornness and outsmarting himself for the past two years. With the receivers and tight ends likely to turnover a lot, maybe McDaniels leaving will be good fortune.

Last edited:
Your funeral if you take this job, Josh.

He’s an “offensive genius” and “great” head coaching candidate just like Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels 1.0, and a slew of other OCs with elite QBs. He failed miserably in Denver and St. Louis. I’ve found myself very frustrated with his unimaginative concepts and irrational groupings the last two years.

I know many won’t agree with me and that’s fine. If you’re looking for specific reasons: the 2017 Cooks-centric offense, especially in the red zone, was not good last year, and the team showed in the SB they were better off without designing everything around Cooks, who really wasn’t good in the red zone but was still frequently the primary target. Notice that the moment he left the game they stopped playing like scripted, first-read robots and didn’t struggle in short yardage situations any more.

This years red zone offense had been laughable with the passing game. Patterson should be in there every play inside the 10 and motioning for a potential end around sweep, forcing the defense to account for him, but he’s on the bench. Instead they had Gordon and Gronkowski, who are thrown to about 0.1% of the time, and for some buzzard reason, Hogan (instead of the quicker Dorsett who can separate quickly.). Double James White and Brady will throw it away. The broadcasters have frequently pointed out the inane receiving routes that are so easily covered close to the goal line, and how they’re literally the same plays on loop. They should be using Patterson as a backfield threat way more often than they do.

Every run / pass play is so incredibly predictable as well. I can literally call the play about 95% of the time before it’s snapped. I went to the Lions game and someone sitting next to me thought I was clairvoyant. Nope, just seen enough of McDaniels to know. Running up the middle when the line is dominated instead of trying more sweeps that actually work. Happens so often now with this offense, with several road losses being huge examples of a 1966 smash mouth game plan accidentally landing in the modern NFL.

Hindsight may be 20:20, but before Brady injured his knee catching a stupid pass, was there anyone on this entire forum who would have thought it was worth the risk for ten whole yards to have your 41 year old QB running an unnecessary trick play like that?

I’ve been ranting about his gradual stubbornness and outsmarting himself for the past two years. With the receivers and tight ends likely to turnover a lot, maybe McDaniels leaving will be good fortune.

You've posted quite an impressive load of ********. It's an 18 wheeler full.

But how do you expect Brady to adapt to new OC at this stage? The game plans this year were just odd. My guess is that they were saving Sony M for the playoff run.

But how do you expect Brady to adapt to new OC at this stage?

The same way he adapted when he went from Weis to McDaniels, McDaniels to O’Brien, and O’Brien back to McDaniels. Change is part of the NFL; it’s more concerning how he’ll adapt to an offense soon without Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, or really anyone known to us now as a trusted target, with no promising newcomers on the horizon at the moment. Brady will adapt, especially with Belichick overseeing the coaching staff; Josh was so close to being gone last year. McDaniels will not be fine without Brady. Everyone can have a good laugh now and then come back here when McDaniels fails miserably again when he doesn’t have a H of F QB. Brady plays at H of F level regardless of his coordinator and often regardless of his receivers...but I do think at this point in his career he may not be able to carry an offense of fringe players. They need young talent at the skill positions, whoever the OC is.

Also, do you realize how many coordinators would want this job if they don’t have an internal guy lined up? Arguably the most attractive opening in years to get to coach Brady. Let’s not act like he’s going to be coached by Johnny Foxboro Sr.

Last edited:
I have a lot of bulls to clean up after.

No, it all came from you. I'm just sincerely hoping that you were plowed out of your mind when you posted that garbage.

No, it all came from you. I'm just sincerely hoping that you were plowed out of your mind when you posted that garbage.

Which part was crap... that they shouldn’t throw to Brady, that the red zone passing offense stinks, or that McD has failed everywhere he’s gone?

Which part was crap... that they shouldn’t throw to Brady, that the red zone passing offense stinks, or that McD has failed everywhere he’s gone?

If you think that only one part was crap, you're almost as bad as he is tonight.

If McD does leave for Green Bay, I think O'Shea (WR Coach) my be next-man-up for an internal replacement.

Either way, if Maryland parts ways with their interim HC, Matt Canada, I'd really like to see the Pats bring him in as an offensive coach in some capacity, maybe QB coach. I mean, they guy got both Peterman and Etling to overachieve, so ...

So now we are blaming the OC for a successful playcall that beautifully abused the fact that nobody really keys on TB12 ? For heavens sake it left him wide open with a lane for an easy first down but then he **** himself by stumbling over his own damn feet / field. Hell even the hit he took is not on the playcall but on Bradys competitiveness/stubbornness. He could have given himself up at any point but no he had to avoid going to the ground before the marker on a third down as if this was a playoff game or the SB.

The decision to get hit at that point is very similar to forcing a stupid pass on third down or standing in the pocket too long and getting drilled. A bad mental decision on the QB.

But blaming the OC ? Are you serious ?

He’s an “offensive genius” and “great” head coaching candidate just like Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels 1.0, and a slew of other OCs with elite QBs.

No he is on the same level as callers like McVay or Shanahan who can design and abuse the tendencies and formations of opponents like really nobody else. The difference to Gase ? He is calling more than the same 4-5 concepts like a Manning offense used to do.

This years red zone offense had been laughable with the passing game.

I find it amazing that stuff like that comes up in a season that might have been his finest work in long time. We started the season with Hogan and Dorsett because Edelman got himself suspended and Gronk is just a ghost of his former self and still made it work to the point where we are among the best offenses in the league. Do they need to improve the efficiency in the redzone ? No question but reducing this down to playcalling when your premier redzone threat of the last decade is a shell of himself is absurd.

This is the same kind of twisted logic people had last year complaining about Patricia/BB when they coached the hell out of the defense that had more issues than even this years unit has.

I mean if you can call the play 95% of the time maybe you should get your lazy ass up and start a coaching career because apparently you are much better at it than about 85% of NFL coaches that can't do what you can do.

The CP stuff is also pretty funny. Just because they are able to design 3-4 really good plays for him most weeks you think they can built an entire offense around the guy ?

Have you noticed how almost every positive play of his has a deception element to it ? You know when they were able to run him without any trickery ? When they faced a team that was very weak on their interior and they kept hammering the gut with him.

As always it is a endless circlejerk of hindsight. No matter how good a call or strategy in terms of percentages or against a specific defense is, if in the end it doesn't work it becomes a stupid idea around here which is just embarrassingly reductive.

And if something works out it is because our QB is supposedly a genius (who can't keep his ****ing feet straight while running forward but thats the OC's fault of course) and it is time to jerk him off yet again.

Seriously I hope people like you get their wish and then have to sit through 1-2 seasons of NFL-level average coaching one day. Maybe this will make you appreciate the season where you watched the best of the best doing their thing a bit more.

Last edited:
Packers and McD would be a great marriage. Stable franchise with a storied past in a town where youre anointed King if youre HC of the Packers. McD takes over a team with a HOF QB, stud RB and stud WR in Adams. Jamal Williams is that all purpose RB that thrive in a McD offense like James White. Lots to work with right there and a couple of personnel moves could really move the needle. TE for instance because Jimmy Graham is near the end. Its a deep TE draft and the Packers are picking high enough to snag one in round 2.

GB is an 8 win team right now and all that matters is the wins with a 35 year old Rodgers. GB is in the same boat as NE on how to best utilize a once in a lifetime QB in terms of championships before the curtain closes.

I could easily see McD and GB in the Super Bowl year # 2.

Gronk is not right and Edelman doing the best that he can. Who do you throw to? Hogan or Dorsett. Should have found a way to keep Almendola.

McDaniels other QBs all stunk. Bradford plays good in leap years and Cutker was on the Broncos when McD hit that town. Orton took over with Tebow.

If you think that only one part was crap, you're almost as bad as he is tonight.

I mentioned three things, not one. And you’re the one who said his entire post was crap, not me.

If you aren’t prepared to elaborate, fine.

Last edited:
Hoping they go Fitzgerald.
Just because Tom loves Josh.
If Gase becomes available I want him as OC if not go outside New England for next OC not Oshea please.
Maybe Daboll becomes available I dunno.

Hoping they go Fitzgerald.
Just because Tom loves Josh.
If Gase becomes available I want him as OC if not go outside New England for next OC not Oshea please.
Maybe Daboll becomes available I dunno.
No on Daboll. He's terrible.

If Josh leaves what about Charlie Weis coming back to NE with NEM up in the booth?
In all seriousness there was an article which said Weis wants to come back to the NFL.

If Josh leaves, I can see Weis brought on to help Bill mentor the OC -apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes