PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers to Target McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Rodgers doesn't play on script, he plays street ball and will drive McDaniels crazy not running his offense like it's supposed to be run.

Starting to look like Lucks questionable health spooked McDaniels more than anything Patriots related, probably regrets that decision now.

He’s an “offensive genius” and “great” head coaching candidate just like Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels 1.0, and a slew of other OCs with elite QBs. He failed miserably in Denver and St. Louis. I’ve found myself very frustrated with his unimaginative concepts and irrational groupings the last two years.

I know many won’t agree with me and that’s fine. If you’re looking for specific reasons: the 2017 Cooks-centric offense, especially in the red zone, was not good last year, and the team showed in the SB they were better off without designing everything around Cooks, who really wasn’t good in the red zone but was still frequently the primary target. Notice that the moment he left the game they stopped playing like scripted, first-read robots and didn’t struggle in short yardage situations any more.

This years red zone offense had been laughable with the passing game. Patterson should be in there every play inside the 10 and motioning for a potential end around sweep, forcing the defense to account for him, but he’s on the bench. Instead they had Gordon and Gronkowski, who are thrown to about 0.1% of the time, and for some buzzard reason, Hogan (instead of the quicker Dorsett who can separate quickly.). Double James White and Brady will throw it away. The broadcasters have frequently pointed out the inane receiving routes that are so easily covered close to the goal line, and how they’re literally the same plays on loop. They should be using Patterson as a backfield threat way more often than they do.

Every run / pass play is so incredibly predictable as well. I can literally call the play about 95% of the time before it’s snapped. I went to the Lions game and someone sitting next to me thought I was clairvoyant. Nope, just seen enough of McDaniels to know. Running up the middle when the line is dominated instead of trying more sweeps that actually work. Happens so often now with this offense, with several road losses being huge examples of a 1966 smash mouth game plan accidentally landing in the modern NFL.

Hindsight may be 20:20, but before Brady injured his knee catching a stupid pass, was there anyone on this entire forum who would have thought it was worth the risk for ten whole yards to have your 41 year old QB running an unnecessary trick play like that?

I’ve been ranting about his gradual stubbornness and outsmarting himself for the past two years. With the receivers and tight ends likely to turnover a lot, maybe McDaniels leaving will be good fortune.
Pound the rock

He may or may not accept the Job maybe his loyalty to Kraft and BB is deep.
If not I hope we go after some young innovative coordinator and not a fill in like O'Shea.
Who can't seem to develop a good receiver from any of our rookie classes.
None of our young receivers have improved.
Makes me leery to hand him the reigns to Brady's final year or two.

No on Daboll. He's terrible.

What you don't want the guy who cleared the entire playbook including trick formations during the very first drive against us and then had nothing else left ? I wonder why..

He may or may not accept the Job maybe his loyalty to Kraft and BB is deep.
If not I hope we go after some young innovative coordinator and not a fill in like O'Shea.
Who can't seem to develop a good receiver from any of our rookie classes.

None of our young receivers have improved.
Makes me leery to hand him the reigns to Brady's final year or two.

O'Shea did a good job with integrating Gordon this year and got CP to a place where he was able to at least run portions of the playbook. Generally speaking the WRs usually look like they know what they need to do and are in the correct places even during hurry-up drives.

Not sure what else except fundamentals and routes are really on his plate but saying he "can't develop a good receiver" sounds a lot like the talk about CBs and Boyer back around 2011. Similarly stupid that is.

Last edited:
What you don't want the guy who cleared the entire playbook including trick formations during the very first drive against us and then had nothing else left ? I wonder why..
Yep. Sucks at playcalling. Even Saban couldn't wait till he left

I mentioned three things, not one. And you’re the one who said his entire post was crap, not me.

If you aren’t prepared to elaborate, fine.

He’s so smart he doesn’t need to explain himself, or he will with just really condescending exchanges... that’s why I never engage in arguments with him. That and I don’t have the time; I don’t even know how it’s mathematically possible to have that many posts and still perform basic human functions required for survival. I do like a lot of his posts and don’t find myself disagreeing with him often, but when I do, I just steer clear.

O'Shea did a good job with integrating Gordon this year and got CP to a place where he was able to at least run portions of the playbook. Generally speaking the WR usually look like they know what they need to know even during hurry-up drives.

Not sure what else except fundamentals and routes are really on his plate but saying he "can't develop a good receiver" sounds a lot like the talk about CBs and Boyer back around 2011. Similarly stupid that is.
I have no problem with giving coaches who have made their bones like Flores or OShea a shot as a coordinator.

I have no problem with giving coaches who have made their bones like Flores or OShea a shot as a coordinator.
I can see that point I look at it like the guy who reported to him is not better suited for his job and time improve and rebuild the offense.
I want somebody elsewhere who can bring fresh ideas and innovate and improve the offense going forward.
Not the next guy in line who falls into the job.
Now maybe O'Shea is that guy and hasn't gotten to show it.
I don't want to squander the last year's of Tom with a yes man.

Honestly we have all only gotten glimpses of what O'Shea is doing but a lot of the offense looks like a team effort by all coaches. I would be surprised if he had not learned a lot from working with Josh. Whether that is enough.. who knows. But how was Flores in any other situation really ?

I think the defense has looked better and in some games a strength im more concerned retaining. Flores than Josh at the end of the day.
Losing both?
Well in BB we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick